New VOX AC4HW1 and Celestion Blue in progress...

Gretsch&Vox

Would you believe the salesman for the VOX was named Jay, and the salesman for the speaker (different company) is also named Jay? That's three Jays, including me, involved this process, so it must be a good omen?

Hopefully, both should arrive within a week.

Last edited:
Well Jay, my first initial is J... pronounced "Jay" so I'll rejoice with you. Post some sound clips and thoughts once you get it all installed. I have the greenback in mine still, but I've contemplated the blue on many occasion.

Gretsch&Vox

Thanks, J./Jay. Always nice to know another Jay and a VOX AC4HW1user.

I had the AC15HW1 and retrofitted a Celestion Blue (CB). It's a mighty 15 watts, especially for an apartment and to lug to a jam session. If the Greenback works for you, that's great, but if you have the budget, Avatar speakers sells the CB for a very low price. I need the CB to get the early Beatle/classic VOX sounds.

AndyC.

Sweet! If you can get some clips in stereo with the AC4c1-12 version too, that would be double awesome.

Congratulations. Such a nice looking amp.

Coldacre

Would you believe the salesman for the VOX was named Jay, and the salesman for the speaker (different company) is also named Jay? That's three Jays, including me, involved this process, so it must be a good omen?
and what's the first letter of my (real) name???

:beer

nice work. lots of photo's / demo's please!!

Gretsch&Vox

Thanks, J. for James. ;)

Demo's please!!? It was a demo unit. How did you know? It was a great deal (about $679 USD + shipping).

Gretsch&Vox

They are typically $800 here. Doesn't seem fair to pay $100 more in Australia?

(The Celestion Blue that I am retrofitting is about $235. I plan on selling the Greenback).

FreeBlues

Silver Supporting Member
My (used) Celestion Blue arrived yesterday, will get installed into my AC4HW1 either today or tomorrow. Report to follow...

Gretsch&Vox

Sounds good. I think that you will like, or love, what you hear. To me, a VOX isn't a VOX without a Celestion Blue.

pepperco

Silver Supporting Member
I have a new AC4HW and I will be getting a blue eventually. I like the amp now, but why not upgrade :) I will be interested to get the reviews on the Blue vs Greenback.

Gretsch&Vox

Good for you! :)

There was a time before the Blue was reissued (pre-1993), that the closest thing available was the Celestion Vintage 30. Since then, I won't settle for anything other than a Blue or Gold.

Trending Topics