New VOX MV50 Hybrid Guitar Amp - Nutube with Class D Power Amp

Takk

http://www.voxamps.com/MV50

The MV50 Series from VOX represents a truly innovative approach to guitar amplification. This little monster weighs in at only one pound but boasts a tremendous 50 Watts of power and produces serious guitar tone that rivals the sound of your favorite tube amp.

Equipped with Nutube, the revolutionary new vacuum tube, the all-analog preamp circuit preserves the richness and warmth of your guitar’s natural sound, while an innovative Class D power amp provides enough volume for any environment.

danbond

From spending loads of time traveling to practice with a guitar, board and an amp, I'm pretty desperate for a good, loud, clean amp that is truly portable.

While I always prefer a nice old valve amp, I'm definitely keen for something that sounds decent and I can travel on the tube with. These look pretty cheesy, but the form factor is perfect.

ToneGrail

No BMTP EQ stack. Just a tone knob. I'll stick with my DV Mark Micro50, which is actually 60 watts at 4ohms and 45 watts at 8 ohms. Prob around 30w at 16 ohms.

MmcGrouty

So if you go into a 4x12 you're going to get 12 watts, if I understand correctly.

:-(

I was hoping 50watts would make for a loud, clean pedal platform, but you need a 4ohm cab for 50 watts.
There's a lot of 8 ohm 4x12s, so you could get 25.. I don't know if I'd expect more from a 1lb amp.

danbond

There's a lot of 8 ohm 4x12s, so you could get 25.. I don't know if I'd expect more from a 1lb amp.

I agree. But these are explicitly sold as 50 watt amps (which they are), yet I'd say 4ohm cabs are the least popular guitar cabs in most people's homes. For someone gigging, you can guarentee that the cab you're sharing is 8/16 ohm, but more likely 16 ohms.

It's not really a critique of the amp exactly, but using it as a power amp for a moddelling setup or as a clean amp for a pedalboard user...well it's not really giggable in most real-world situatins where a portable amp is of real benefit (=people who do small gigs in bars and stuff).

Still, they look amazing and the idea is fantastic. I'd like to see how loud they really get.

therhodeo

From spending loads of time traveling to practice with a guitar, board and an amp, I'm pretty desperate for a good, loud, clean amp that is truly portable.

While I always prefer a nice old valve amp, I'm definitely keen for something that sounds decent and I can travel on the tube with. These look pretty cheesy, but the form factor is perfect.

Have you tried the quilter block models? They sound pretty good and the 101 is like 2lbs.

Elantric

Finally a hardware implementation of Korg / Noritake NuTube announced 2 years ago

Data sheet
http://korgnutube.com/pdf/Nutube_DatasheetV1E.pdf

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13674.msg100311#msg100311
korg-nutube-e1422546386567.jpg

korg-vacuum-tube-chip-e1422546780177.jpg

Korg & Noritake Introduce Futuristic Nutube Vacuum Tubes
korg-nutube

At the 2015 NAMM Show, Korg and Noritake introduced the Nutube, a new miniaturized and high performance vacuum tube.

In cooperation with Noritake Itron Corporation, Korg has developed the Nutube to offer improved reliability and efficiency, while still generating the same rich harmonics which vacuum tubes are known for.

korg-vacuum-tube-chip

As with previous vacuum tubes, the Nutube is structured with an anode, grid, and filament, and operates as a complete triode tube, generating the same rich harmonics that are distinctive of conventional vacuum tubes.

By applying technology from Noritake Co., Limited’s vacuum fluorescent displays, though, the structure of the vacuum tube has been modified, dramatically reducing its size and allowing it to consume less power.

Korg outlines these benefits to the new ‘tube on a chip’ technology:

Power Consumption. Miniaturization dramatically reduces power consumption, allowing the Nutube to operate using less than 2% of power required by conventional vacuum tubes and making it easy to power the unit on batteries.
Compact. The Nutube occupies less than 30% of the volume of a conventional vacuum tube. Its small size and low thermal output allows it to be easily mounted directly on a high-density circuit board without using a socket
High reliability and long life. The unique design and state of the art Japanese production facility ensures the Nutubes are built to the highest standard and offer up to 30,000 hours of continuous operating life. The high reliability means that it can be attached directly to the circuit board with confidence knowing that it will not need to be replaced regularly like a 12AX7.
“As an electronic component, a vacuum tube has the disadvantages of being larger than a transistor, having a shorter lifespan, and a higher power consumption, and although many people like the sound of a vacuum tube, historically they have been more difficult to deal with,” states Korg’s Fumio Mieda, who has helped develop Korg synth going back all the way to the MS-20. “The Nutube sets us free from these many limitations, making it possible for us to think about using it in new products,” added Mieda.

The Nutube 6P1 is designed specifically to generate rich harmonics when used with a musical instrument.

FWIW - Korg owns Vox and BlackStar)

Nu_Tube.png

Nu_Tube2.png

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...-revolutionary-nutube-mv50-guitar-amps-646784

Vox MV50
http://voxamps.com/MV50

Last edited:

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I agree. But these are explicitly sold as 50 watt amps (which they are), yet I'd say 4ohm cabs are the least popular guitar cabs in most people's homes. For someone gigging, you can guarentee that the cab you're sharing is 8/16 ohm, but more likely 16 ohms.

It's not really a critique of the amp exactly, but using it as a power amp for a moddelling setup or as a clean amp for a pedalboard user...well it's not really giggable in most real-world situatins where a portable amp is of real benefit (=people who do small gigs in bars and stuff).

Still, they look amazing and the idea is fantastic. I'd like to see how loud they really get.

I've got a 2x12" at 4 Ohms here.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried the quilter block models? They sound pretty good and the 101 is like 2lbs.

Yeah, but it would be nice to compare the tones of the Quilter vs. these new Vox amps. I have not been particularly impressed with the Quiliter's tones when I tried them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom