New Vox owner, looking for pedal recommendations

Hang The DJ

Hey all,

So I got rid of my Mesa Dual 1/2 stack and got a Vox AC30CC2x. Now, I need some pedals.

I've been lusting after a Devi Ever Shoegazer for a while and will eventually get one, but what are some other cool fuzz/OD/weird kind of things to use with it?

I play sort of indie stuff but am really into shoegaze and that fuzzed out washy tone. But also, Wilco. Like, the solo on "At Least That's What You Said," kind of tone.

Ideas? I was looking at the Big Muff with Tone Wicker first off.

melven62

For overdrive I use a Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, Bearfoot Honey Bee, and a Paul C Timmy and I love all 3.

DraggAmps

I don't have any Vox's at the moment but I do have a Mesa Transatlantic which does a fairly accurate Vox impression. The Vox channel was based off one of Andy Timmons' Vox amps, apparently. I have to use the cut knob all the way up to get the treble knob to be in a useable range because I don't like super bright OD tones, but when I get the cleans warm enough to get me warm tones with OD's, I have good luck with my Fetto pedals, Timmy, Screw Driver, and HBOD. The Alpha Drive also works great because it's very warm with lots of low end.

taxman

I have a VOX AC30 and these are really the only two pedals I ever use:

The AC30CC2 handles those pedals real well.

The EQ can shape the tone better than the EQ knobs on the amp can, but the real use for the BOSS GE-7 is as a boost. Have the amp overdriven, step on the pedal with the level slider a bit high and WOW! Marshall like overdrive. Really incredible.

The Danelectro Reel Tape Echo is for when I play my Gretsches into my VOX. Gives me a real 50s style sound. Add some tremolo from the amp and you get that perfect Gretsch Duane Eddy sound. But it isn't just the old 50s sound this pedal can give you. You like the shoegazing sound? Well, I can get it with this Danelectro. It has a warble switch and with that on the repeats really give you that nice washy tone.

ahcleinad

I am also running an AC30CC2 and right now I have Hotcake, Sparkle Drive, Pharaoh, and the HBE UFO on my board. Usually the Hotcake and the Rat are recommended for Voxes and the Pharaoh sounds monstrous through it also.

Tbone135

I really like my FD2 set for compcut and my OCD right behind it. It's not corksnifferific, but it sounds good.

niclake13

I've used the following:
Fulldrive2 MOSFET
OCD
Lovepedal Eternity Burst
Timmy
Lovepedal Superlead
Sparkle Drive
Skreddy Lunar Module

All of these sound great, it just depends on how much coin you want to drop, and what specific sound you want.

AcheWater

Boss OD3. $50 (+/-$10) used, and is the only OD I've never thought about taking off my board. I use it for "Rhythm" when I want a little chuckier flavor. Mostly I just use My volume knob and/or an MXR MicroAmp.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
I've narrowed my ODs down to just a V4 OCD after thinning the herd. The Hotcake is great, too, but for my setup and taste I ended up liking the OCD better. ( I've owned 3 hotcakes over the years and would not hesitate to recommend one, though.) also, a Wampler Pinnacle was great for Marshally sounds, and I really like the Colorsound OD circuit with my AC30 as well. Hope that gives you some new ideas!

Trending Topics