New vs. Vintage Big Muff Pi

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kgmessier, Jan 19, 2006.

1. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Can anyone who has had experience with both tell me if there is a significant difference in tone (or anything else) between the new USA-made Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi and the vintage ones from the late 70s?

- Keith

2. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

there was a pretty big difference between the ones in the late 70's too, there are definitely vintage turds out there. i don't think my ncy reissue sounds as good as my vintage bigmuffs (the nyc is a little less gain and a bit more fuzz like) it still has that bigmuff sound and for eighty bucks its a steal! the reissue sounds good with the sustain turned down and can get almost a keith richards type tone, the vintage can't, but the reissue also doesn't get that "metal distortion" sound a vintage rams head can or the "2000lb violin" lead sound a tri knob muff can get.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I believe the tri-knob BMPs are the holy grail (no pun intended) of BMPs. If you can get one of those, you're the man

[​IMG]

4. MrSage

MrSage Member

All the older pedals had dodgy QC and component tolerances that were pretty variable. So there were a lot of older stinkers...but a lot of them sound great. If you find a good one, it'll be a lot better than the reissues.

On the other hand, a reissue is pretty easy to get modded.

And there are a ton of older muff clones these days that capture the vintage vibe (my favorites in particular are the Euthymia ICBM Fuzz and the Skreddy lineup).

5. kgmessier

kgmessier Member

Given their inconsistency, hat's the most you'd pay for a vintage 70s Big Muff Pi sight unseen / sound unheard?

6. MrSage

MrSage Member

You can find them relatively cheap.

I think I paid $35 for a transister version and $40 for an IC version. I probably wouldn't pay more than about $75.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

What about other triangle knob clones such as the MJM Foxy Fuzz? Any others you dig? Anybody tried D*A*M's triangle knob Muff clone?

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

I've never tried the Foxey, though I know a lot of people love it. I'd be interested to check out a Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer, though that doesn't get as many rave reviews as the Skreddy lineup.

I like my ICBM for chords and my Zero for leads.

:AOK

9. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

The early Russian ones are really climbing in price - I was shocked when I searched E-Bay last week: $175-300. Man...

Loudboy

10. MrSage

MrSage Member

Those aren't even the early Russian ones...those are the ones from the early 1990s.

The early Russian ones are the Blue/Gray models. You don't see those very often at all...they're quite similar to the Mike Matthews Red Army Overdrive.

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Do they still make the Creamy Dreamer? What muff version is it specifically modelled after?

12. moodog

moodog Member

+1 on this one. I love it sooooooooooooo much. Not much comes close but I've had luck with the Baja Tech Custom DA MOAF. Darn close if not a carbon copy.

13. MrSage

MrSage Member

I don't think these are still being made. I'm not sure that they were modelled after any specific model...the base design of the Big Muff is pretty similar across designs...it's just component values that were tweaked. The way I heard it, the Sustain Punch guy went on a bunch of forums, got ideas for a bunch of types of mods you could do to a muff, and put them into a clone (or modded existing muffs to these specs).

14. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

I think I had one of these back in the mid 70s. Got it after using the LPB-1 for a long time. I think I paid $35 for it.

15. Ommy

Ommy Member

I had and sold both the new true bypass reissue black version and the big army green triangle knob muff with the large silver switch. I extensively a/b tested them and I could not hear any difference between the two. Seeing the prices now, I wish I held onto the green one a little longer; it's funny that I had a hard time selling it for $35 at the time.

16. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I love my ICBM. It's light years better than the handful of vintage BMs and the newer Russian and NYC BMs I've played. Works pretty well with my Picture Wah in front of it too, whereas the other BMs just squealed or you couldn't hear any wah at all. Get an ICBM and your search is over. Too bad Skreddy isn't making the Ernie anymore, b/c I did want to try that too in my BM search.

17. vanguard

vanguard Member

WTF! that triangle big muff that went for $412(!!!) had a buy it now of $299.... how does this happen?