New wampler Metaverse delay

Maybe Wampler sees the DL4mkii as the Hulk (they're both big, green and start behaving erratically at random moments), so he named his the Metaverse to suggest it's bigger and better.
However with that rational in play , I guess that means his upcoming multi-Reverb pedal will be called the Spideyverse. Oh and he could release a multi-big muff emulator called Civil War, but I think that ones already taken.
EDIT: I'm not dissing the pedal btw, I haven't played it. Just speculating/being a smart a#%.

Last edited:

Danzego

Maybe I have low standards, but the pedal sounded good to me in the couple of videos I watched. The only thing I didn’t care for was the sound of the self-oscillation early on in Andy’s video. The repeats generally sounded good to me. I’d like to try one out sometime soon!

Reactions: IRG

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Maybe Wampler sees the DL4mkii as the Hulk (they're both big, green and start behaving erratically at random moments), so he named his the Metaverse to suggest it's bigger and better.
However with that rational in play , I guess that means his upcoming multi-Reverb pedal will be called the Spideyverse. Oh and he could release a multi-big muff emulator called Civil War, but I think that ones already taken.
EDIT: I'm not dissing the pedal btw, I haven't played it. Just speculating/being a smart a#%.
It’s Meta-, not Multi-… ;)

It’s Meta-, not Multi-… ;)
Yes.

Agreed

Pete Thorn's song demo shows how the delay modes can work well together in a composition. What a talented guy, honestly, he's had some "ok that sells me on it" quality demos for tons of gear. I really like how the Ethereal mode sounds - Brian, is that the same algorithm as the Ethereal or would getting an Ethereal still provide deeper/more functionality for that kind of sound mode than is found in the Metaverse itself?

Laser

Sounds pretty damn good to me, too.

Typical Wampler. Simple, basic, good sounds, live-friendly, but won't wow you with it's ping-pongin', pitch warblin, shoe-gazing, pyro-gymnastics.

It really says how far we've come in the last 20 years. This pedal had come out in 2000 and we'd be bowing down to the Gods of Pedal Effects over this one.

I wonder if there's any perceptible lag time when switching patches via MIDI?

Add two comments:
1) Shame he didn't put a killer reverb as one (or two) of his programs.
2) The flanger delay could have used a lot more, err, umm, flanger. Maybe it was the settings on the video.

Hofnarr

I think it sounds quite good. I have no use for another delay, but if I were starting out I would definitely view this as an option.

What I'd really like to see though is Brian coming out with a MIDI-capable analog multidrive pedal (maybe with some compression, fuzz, EQ thrown in for good measure). This could be a big hit - my sense is that Wampler is more known for its offerings in those categories, in any case.

And for dog's sake, manufacturers, please put a display on your MIDI pedals! I'm not talking about something fancy for menu-diving and fine-tuning 1001 parameters. Just a simple little screen that shows you which preset is actiive...

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Ok so, for starters, I bought the pedal as it should be adequate for my live board and I’m desperate to get rid of the SA Collider because it doesn’t play nice through the PT15 amp I use.

@BrianWampler Since you’re here, why oh why did you not setup the Terraform the same way for presets like you did for this pedal? 8 presets on the Terraform is really limiting and I do have that pedal on the board as well. I absolutely adore having pre/post on it, so thank you for that.

I spoke with Jerry at Wampler today and he mentioned a possibility of firmware update to address the Terraform preset limits but nothing firm or committed. How would that work with no USB port to update the pedal btw? Are we talking a rev 2? Would I be able to send the pedal to you for the firmware update? I don’t understand the benefit at all of 128 midi channel assignments to recall 8 presets which is all the unit can store. I’m living with it for now, but dang that’s been a bummer.

Also great move on the plug-in idea. I hope that forces others to follow suit. Those of us out there that like to record sincerely appreciate this.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a shame that Zuck rebranded as Meta *after* we had already registered the trademark.

23a2fe8541338b21873b2c2054d02af43e3627e4.gifv

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Some harsh criticism in here. I liked the dmm sounds, has some of the thing that separates the dmm from other analogs. I think there are aspects to every classic tone that stand out differently from person to person. That’s why we have a slew of plexi in a box pedals that sound completely different but each have a following that swears that pedal is THE plexi sound. Not everyone will agree with Brian’s interpretation, but many will find the sound they have been looking for.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
This has definitely been the year of delay pedals but it's nice to have a versatile yet simple option, I'm not good with menus and sub features

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Looks and sounds like a new version of the Nemesis. I do love a builder who demos/plays their own stuff. I find those builders make much better products since they actually use what they sell. I wonder who is the real designer/coder behind all the new [I mean refactored] algorithms showing up in this year of new delay pedal releases?
1. I’ll listen to it, but I’d be surprised if it sounds as good as the Nemesis using so many older Wampler programs and with minimal tweakability. 2. The Nemesis has separate speed and depth controls; that’s essential for any delay in this price range. 3. Re the critical comments, the best thing is that people are taking about, and not at all like the new DL-4.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom