New Warmoth "moon Caster" Body

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Crowder, May 19, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I went on Warmoth's site today to get a pickguard and noticed the new "Moon Caster" body. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

I was interested immediately because I just bought some Lollar Regals and I'm trying to decide where to use them. But when I went to spec a body it only offered Gibson-style humbucker routs. Sacrilige!!

2. Felixun1

Felixun1 Supporting Member

I had the same reaction. I thought it would make a good combo with my strat neck, but I wanted to put dogear P90's in it. Not available, apparently, although maybe they would route one for you however you want if you asked.

3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

4. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

They've been out for a little while. Im curious.

5. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Do they have any "mooncaster" style necks yet?? :D

6. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I've been looking at these for a while myself. Not a whole lot of information about there about them.

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Or perhaps a set of Fralin P92s?

8. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Yep. The Mooncaster neck:

[​IMG]

9. smallbutmighty

The Mooncaster body is only available with routs for TOM/Stoptail bridge and humbuckers for the time being. The body is a little bit smaller than the Fender Starcaster....I think it's very comfortable. What else you wanna know?

Crazyquilt likes this.
  10. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

How much smaller than the Starcaster?

11. smallbutmighty

Not a ton. I can't get specific because I have never compared them back to back, and I don't have measurements. I'm just basing that on having held them both at different times.

I could walk over to the other building and get measurements, I suppose. I'll try and remember to do that tomorrow.

12. Dashface

Dashface Member

My biggest issue with the original Starcaster (by a long shot) is the ugly headstock. The fact that I could get that style of body and put a regular Strat neck on... Oh boy. This has to happen :D

13. Crowder

I wanna know when it will be available with Full-Range size humbucker routs.

14. smallbutmighty

We get the most requests for TV Jones and P90 routs. We do get them for Full-Range routs too. Manufacturing parts is somewhat different than simply building guitars. When you build a guitar you can choose your components and work out the logistics of making those things work together properly. When you're building parts, it's a much bigger challenge to try and make sure those parts are compatible with every other part you offer, and with the endless combinations of parts customers will want to use with it. It takes a lot or R&D time to work all that out.

It's funny, because one would think making a TV Jones rout available would be as simple as just programming the tool paths. Sometimes it is, but other times weird complications come up when you assemble the parts. Then you have to go back and rethink the entire thing. Or...you just don't make that option available.

Baxtercat and Crowder like this.
  15. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

There's a vendor on ebay (Saylor?) that makes Starcaster style bodies with the Full Range route...

16. Crowder

It just seems like an obvious thing to do in this case, since the Fender Starcaster used wide-range humbuckers.

17. smallbutmighty

I know, right? :)

My guess is Ken chose to stick with the tried and true combo of TOM/Stoptail and humbuckers because it was already tested, he knew it would work, and he knew there would be a demand for it. Next time I see him I'll ask.

18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

Any plans to allow a wraparound prs style bridge routing option? Any plans for a baritone scale neck option?

19. smallbutmighty

Nope on the wraparound bridge.

On the baritone scale necks, we already offer baritone conversion necks, which convert 25-/12" scale bodies to 28-5/8" baritone scale, without having to move the bridge.

In fact, just to tie this whole thing together, I'm pretty sure there is a video on Youtube of a guy who put a Baritone Conversion neck on a Mooncaster body. I'll have to see if I can find it.

20. dennyman

dennyman Member

Most of the Mooncaster bodies are gorgeous. I already have guitars with HB and Gretsch pups. I would probably buy a Mooncaster body if WRHBs could be installed - even if that option was only offered on a custom build and not on Showcase items. Then again, maybe I'll just get a Mooncaster body and install Lollar El-Rayo's in it.