new webers, getting buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pyt, Jan 30, 2006.

1. pyt

pyt Member

I just got a pair of Weber speakers, a 12A150B and a 12F150B. An alnico and a ceramic with British-style cones.

They sound great, but I'm getting a little buzzing from, I think, the alnico when pushed hard. It's not severe and I don't notice it with the band. But it would get picked up during a recording sessoin.

I've checked my cab over and nothing seems to be loose. I only hear the buzz coming from the front of the amp. From the back, it sounds great.

Ted broke the speakers in a little and I got moderate doping.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Other than that little bit of buzz, the speakers sound fantastic.

2. Boogs

Boogs Member

Pound'em a little. I've had a wicked buzz/rattle that was just a period in the breakin of the speaker...after going bananas trying to isolate it (with no success), it just went away. The speaker/cab was resonating at a certain frequency (around 100-105 hertz, A flat-ish, and the next highest octave), but it didn't last long.

FWIW, YMMV, etc. ;)

David

3. Matt H

Matt H Guest

hahaha
    i've got a cab that buzzes on that A and the one an octave up too!!! hahaha

i think mine's related to the back panel, but i digress.

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

If you are sure you attached it tightly enough to the cabinet, do you have a loose screw/nut/bolt/washer (or chunk of solder) buzzing around in that speaker?

Check it out...

5. pyt

pyt Member

No, nothing loose floating around in the speaker. And it's definitely secured to the cabinet.

The buzzing sounds too uniform to be a rattle from something loose. And it's only when I play certain notes/chords. I can really hear it when I dig into an A chord. It's weird that I hear it only coming from the front of the amp, not the back.

The speakers sound really healthy, so I'm hoping it's something that will work itself out. I'm wondering if this is common with new speakers? Little weird things like this?

6. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

Try backing off the mounting nuts on the speaker. You might have tightened it too much and warped the basket a little. Shoot Ted an email and wish him happy birthday, I'm sure he will be able to help you.

It's not common with new speakers. A buzz usually means a slight voice coil rub. In a brand new speaker it usually is caused by improper break in or like I said tightening the nuts down too much. They should only be hand tightened.

Weber speakers have very close tolerances and you can have problems like that.

7. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I've had that experience :(

8. pyt

pyt Member

Would you mind telling the details of your problems and how you resolved them?

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I'd presume by his frowny face they were unsolvable. They were always unworkable for me ... I either got bad speakers or good speakers. The bad ones weren't 'solvable' . GOod luck

ERIC

10. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

have sorta the same thing going on in my 2x12 cab. Buzzes when you hit a A on the low(big)E string. Depending on which amp used can go from slightly annoying to pretty nasty. These speakers had been doing just fine(never abused or run hard) then all of sudden this crap starts. It would be great if its still a break-in thing (tho had 'em for awhile). Definately sounds like a voice coil rub, but like yours its isolated..........taking everything apart tonite hoping to find something loose/tight, broken or whatever....

11. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

that's about it, I guess you can always pay to have stuff shipped back for replacement, though in one case the return shipping plus "restocking fee" for an item I wasn't happy with (though that particular item wasn't a speaker) would have cost almost as much as I paid originally. ymmv, -Guy

12. pyt

pyt Member

So I talked to Weber today. They said it sounds like I just have stiff cones and they need to break in. The buzzing is too nice and uniform, I think, for it to be a voice coil rub. It's not a harsh white noise. They mentioned getting a little Downey fabric softener in a spray bottle and giving them a light mist to soften up the cones.

I had a band practice last night and they do sound good. They don't "feel" like something is seriously wrong, if you know what I mean. So I will give them some time to really break in and see what goes.

13. pyt

pyt Member

Just an update. Problem solved! The Downey fabric softener really worked. It's actually a spray-on wrinkle reducer, I guess, for when you don't want to use an iron? The bottle says it contains "fiber relaxers".

Anyway, I took my speakers out and gave them a good spray. I let them dry overnight and then put them back in. The sound was WAY better, the buzz almost gone, right off the bat. Since then I've had a decent amount of practices and a gig. The buzz is gone.

The speakers sound great and I'm really stoked every time I fire up my amp. And my speakers smell good now. Downey fresh!

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

This is great. You know, we ought to buy a bunch of this stuff, re-bottle it and sell it to musicians at $15 per ounce. After all, guitar polish is just liquid car wax. Remember the lemon oil for fret boards being sold 20 years ago at $4 per ounce? Back then I went to the hardware store, bought a 16oz bottle for $2 and still have much of it left. Just a thought...

15. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

mine ended up being the back panel on the cab..............whew!!!

16. Boogs

Boogs Member

You're scaring me, man!

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I had a scumback do the same thing when it was new. All I did to break it in was basically just stick it in a 1x12 cab and beat the fool out of it with my 50 watt ampzilla.....

....voila, no more nasty buzz, just excellent tone.

You may want to get some earplugs if you use my method.:eek: :D