New Xotic Pedals - Super Sweet and Super Clean

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chadley, Jan 22, 2019.

1. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I couldn’t really understand too much difference either. But I bought the Super Sweet Booster and will report back when it arrives.

scolfax likes this.
  2. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Anyone have any experience with the buffer? I'm wondering if it's a noticeable improvement over the Boss TU-3 buffer.

3. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I test drove the Super Clean and the Super Sweet boosts last week. They are similar in nature, with the SSB having much more gain and volume available. It had a nice harmonic content, but the volume was more difficult to control than with the SCB. Perhaps a bigger knob would help. The increased gain also brought increased background hiss over the SCB, especially with the high mid engaged.

The DIP switches are truly tiny, and the EQ is powerful. I'm still playing with different combinations across different rigs, so there is a learning curve, but it's a useful and powerful tool. Moreover, the buffer seems very nice. It's a different animal than the EP boost for sure.

I ended up with the Super Clean boost, since I rarely need more than 9 dB of boost. Good stuff!

jjhookemup likes this.
  4. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have the Super Clean. I bought it to add midrange to my Greer Lightspeed, which is slightly scooped in the mid's. That worked very well. I also tried the Super Sweet, and it had much more volume and gain to it, which I didn't need. The Buffer on the Clean is very good. A keeper pedal.

5. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Do you have to mess with the dip switches to get the desired midrange boost? Or does the Super Clean already have a more mid-focused tone?

abnerfm likes this.
  6. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

I bought the Super Sweet, but sold it fairly quickly. Not because it was a bad pedal, but for my purposes, I probably would have preferred the Super Clean. The volume comes on real quick on the SSB. I was looking for a mid boost at just above unity and I couldn’t get it there. Ymmv, but I went back to using an EQ pedal for my specific situation.

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

The default tone with all DIP switches off is a slight mid boost (low to high mids) for both pedals.

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

kingofrats - yes, as Kelsey says above, the default tone with all DIP switches down is a slight midrange boost. But, with the DIP switches, you have a good variety of boost tones to choose from. I very good pedal!

9. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

One more difference I noticed in the manual is that SC is flat EQ when all switches are off while the SS is Mid Boost meaning no flat EQ option on the SS.

presence likes this.
  10. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I hear a slight mid boost in default mode on the SC as well as the SS. It's subtle though. I've been playing around with boosting the bass and low mids lately. Even with the bass boost engaged, it's less bassy and sounds clearer than the EP boost.

11. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

I had an RC V1 that was on my board for years and used it just as a post-dirt volume boost for solos/leads. Recently replaced that with the V2 (but haven't added it to my board due to space and a massive ongoing board overhaul), which is why the Super Clean Boost intrigued me.

I got the Super Clean and just A/B'd it against the RC V2. The SC with all dipswitches down (stock position) adds just a tiny bit of a mid-bump, whereas the RC is completely flat. Yet, on the RC I tend to put the treble at 1:00 and bass at 11:00, which is very close sounding to the SC with all dipswitches down, or with just the hi-mids dip-switch up.

I feel confident that the SC is a totally good replacement for the RC (V1 or V2) as a volume boost for solos. Additionally, if you're looking for a suble midrange eq push, you can turn on the hi and lo mid dip switches to help shape your tone post dirt.

Having also owned an EP Booster, it doesn't have the same low mids that people either love or find a bit muddy, but if you use the bass boost and hi-cut you can get a similar tone as well (at least from memory).

The Super Clean also has more than enough volume on tap, I only need to set it around 8:30 or 9:00 to crank out a few extra db for leads.

Long story short, I'm happy, and think it will make the board as a space saving solo boost.

djw and presence like this.
  12. Rydock

Rydock Member

Do these pedals sort of do that Klon thing where it just fattens up your clean tone with a bit of top end sparkle?

I've been trying to read into the differences between these two and the only thing I can see is the Sweet has 8dB more boost. If that's the case, my initial thought would be why not get the one with more, but a few guys made a good point about the louder pedal being finicky to dial a precise gain level. I'd only be using this to be slightly louder than unity gain, so I guess the Super Clean would make more sense for me.

13. Defendant

Defendant Member

Got a super clean. Plugged it into a silver face deluxe in the shop and instantly knew I had to have it.

The Super sweet is pretty er, sweet as well.

14. rom661

rom661 Member

Haven't found an answer thus far to what is probably a dumb question. I assume the buffer is always on regardless of the boost setting. Yes?

15. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

I’m not sure if you’re referring to the Klon buffer, or an engaged Klon. I have the SS and there’s a bit of a mid boost. With the DIP switches, you can boost low mids in a range that’s similar to a Klon. The difference is that the Klon can add dirt and has the tone pot to sweep through response, whereas the Xotic DIP switches are fixed range and bump.

The buffer, like all buffers, adds a little top end compared to the true bypassed signal, so it’s similar to a Klon buffer in that respect. However, when engaged there’s no way to add top end, only cut it. The SS rounds the edges off and makes the top end less spikey. I consider this a good thing. The clarity is still there.

IMO, if you want to use a Klon, use a Klon. But if you’re dialing in a Klon with the gain on zero and just using it for a little mid bump, this may be a viable alternative. You just don’t get the low end roll off or ability to add top end. And you don’t get any control for onboard gain, which many people use on a Klon to add some harmonic content. I have a Mythical Overdrive and a SS on my board. I consider them useful for different things.
    A buffer is a circuit that optimizes the output signal to ensure there are no losses in strength or top end. These pedals have that option when bypassed. When engaged, they enable a FET gain stage that’s designed to amplify the signal. This is different from a buffer, but has the same affect when the gain is set to unity (or otherwise very low).

16. classicplayer

classicplayer Member

The fact that these two new pedals offer different boost levels leads me to believe that they were designed for the type of amp you usually use. The first demos involved Fender circuits. It seems to me the SS would work very well with Fender amps and the SC with a lower dB boost would benefit a gainy amp. I have an Orange Dark Terror and I get along very well with its different gain stages to the point where I don't use any pedals except a delay or reverb. I think in order to preserve my amp's tone, yet
    boost it now and then.....the Super Clean would appeal to me more than the Super Sweet. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

classicplayer

17. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Huge Xotic and SL Drive fan here- was hoping for a nice boost for it. Seems like these are not very good choices.
    I’m gonna go for a ‘one control’ mini pedal boost instead- a lot less finicky. And perhaps better dialed in~
    Why in the world do pedal manufacturers think that extreme excessive volume boost over unity by only 8:30-9:00 on the volume dial is something consumers want?

18. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

Okay, got my Super Sweet.

BUFFER: I like the buffer on this more than on the Archer. The Archer buffer is very compressed and adds treble, while this sounds like "natural" tone preservation.

GAIN: It's a mother****er. I run the gain at 6 o'clock into my OCD and it's enough to go from light breakup to distortion.

EQ switches: very helpful. I like all the switches down + hi-cut engaged.

SOUND: I love this. It gives that glassy 3D thing to the sound but is not as "hi-fi" as the RC v2 which as a bit too clear sounding for me.

FORM FACTOR: No frills, easy to hit, doesn't hog space. This is just what I needed.

I took the TU-3 off my board because the Archer buffer was good enough, and I like the buffer in the SS more than the Archer, so yes?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  19. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I am wondering if I could use the Super Clean to replace a Pettylift. I run my lift near the front of my chain (after filter and octave) as a buffer. I occasionally use the boost and/or input gain when switching guitars, but this is minor. I don't really benefit from it as an EQ. I run a Chasetone Secret Pre (EP-style preamp) after my drives, on all the time for sparkle/girth but use the treble setting to get a little clarity in the signal.

Wondering if I can run the SC in the same position as the Lift. Anyone else use the SC with an EP boost/preamp? Can we confirm once and for all that the buffer is on/active even when the boost isn't engaged? Would love to free up a little board space.