New Yamaha Synth MODX

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Devnor, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Devnor

Devnor Member

https://yamahamusicians.com/the-new-modx-keyboard-from-yamaha-raising-the-bar-for-mid-range-synths/

Scaled down version of the Montage. 128 voice AWM with 1Gb flash memory, 64 voice FM-X. Super knob. The savings comes from lesser control surface, fewer realtime controls and no button panel on the right side. Everything happening on the touch screen now. It's still not a workstation for those who care...no seq, no drum machine outside of using arps. Biggest loss for me personally is MODX can't accept an analog input to drive the clock - one of the coolest features of the Montage.

The price is right. Its got the same touch screen and incredible sound. The machine and the capabilities of the superknob and how it effects the motion control engine are mostly misunderstood.

2. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I really like my MOXF8. It'll be interesting to see how this sounds in comparison, assuming my GC ever gets one. They never put a Montage on the floor for me to try.

It would be nice if they came out with an even cheaper 61 or even 49 key version.

3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

&1399 UK is about $1820 US. With 76 keys and that price, it could get that FM-X technology into a few more hands.

I agree that within the next few years, it would be a good move for Yamaha to release smaller, lower cost FM-X products. Then the millenials and younger folks would have theirs, as well as the older guys who can't deal with small knobs and labels. ;)

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Seen on Keyboard Corner:

"it's for Real! comes in 61/76/88 versions"

That would make sense, if true. More sense, at least, than just releasing a 76-key version.

5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Preliminary info up on Sweetwater:
    [DELETED}

Have to wait until noon EST today. Sweetwater took down that page.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

7. motidave

motidave Member

US Retail price for MODX7 is $1499 everywhere.
    This is my next board ... just researching for the best molded ATA flight case thats 50" or less ... MODX7 is 44", so its tight ...

Edit: I just read one spec that reports MODX7 = 45-1/16" - if anyone gets one, can you please measure length and report?

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

And of course MODX6 is even cheaper.

Looks like a viable candidate to eventually replace my Korg M3 61, at least for the electric piano and general rompler synth functionality. Don't really use it as a full workstation anyway.

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Richard Devine worked on some FM-X presets for Yamaha. Here he's interviewed by Nick of Sonic State fame. The interesting stuff, sound-wise, starts around 7:50. Well, interesting to me. For those looking for the bread-and-butter stuff, there are other videos to search for instead.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 4:15 PM
  10. motidave

motidave Member

Follow-up: I rechecked airline rules. US domestic carriers all appear the same - standard luggage size limit is 62", not 50". I'm stoked!

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

MODX6 might beat out the other new synth products that have caught my interest. Doesn't have the sexy (to me) appeal of modular stuff like Delta Cep A, various Make Noise stuff, etc; nor the Medusa; but there's a lot to like about it from the practical side of music making for me.

For one, there's the 4-in, 10-out USB audio interface with IOS compatibility. Should be easier than ever to integrate iPad audio and MIDI - lots of great iPad apps in both domains. I'd love to test the MODX audio sync function with audio output from Senode, SunVox, Poly, etc. Controlling the MODX from Gestrument Pro could also be fun.

Next is the weight - 61-key version is only 14 lbs.

Then of course there's the onboard synth engines - the much-discussed FM-X and AWM2, which peeps tend to overlook but has a lot going on under the hood too (18 filter types, 9 LFOs, etc.).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM
  12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Demo of an organ sound. Probably AWM2, not FM-X, though I could be wrong. I wouldn't expect MODX to compete with Nord Electro, Crumar, Hammond-Suzuki, etc. in the clonewheel sweepstakes but it sounds pretty decent to me: