1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Yamaha Synth MODX

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Devnor, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I bought the MODX8. It’s a beautiful sounding and playing keyboard. Now I just need to learn to play.

Allthesound, ckfoxtrot and chunky48 like this.
  2. Stokely

Stokely Member

checked one out at GC yesterday. They had it hooked up at a fancy station by itself with two powered monitors. I'm a bit iffy on how those sounded, I'd have to play one of my keyboards through them as a reference. Not to mention, there were two for stereo so for my live use I always have to check things in mono!

Sounded really good I must say. The pianos and electric pianos and clavs all sounded more detailed than my old Motif versions. The organ was quite a bit better too--and that was the main reason I sold that Motif, the horrendous organ and leslie--though as my buddy remarked, it isn't going to replace a Nord electro for organ. Definitely workable for a gig though if organ isn't your main instrument.

I didn't mind the feel, though as expected I liked the Montage keys quite a bit more.

It's incredibly light, and they've done a good job at keeping the width down (compare to the old S90 and S70!). It is a pretty deep keyboard though if that matters. There is a handy area on the right side that has no controls; this is useful for anyone with a tabletop synth or mixer or tablet.

I don't like touchscreens. Consider that your hands can get sweaty at gigs, and it can get hard to use them. Plus my eyesight is getting to the point where I find little icons a bit hard to read. I don't mind simpler text-based screens with hard controls honestly, plus I think there'd be less risk of failure. But that's just me yelling at kids on my lawn :D

I think it would be a tough call between this and the Roland FA--depends on whether you use piano, ep, clav, organ or synth more I think. Both have nice features.

3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The FM-X synth engine is a major attraction to the MODX for me. Without it, it's just another ROMpler. I do have mixed feelings about the dependency of the MODX on the touchscreen for synth programming and patch organization/navigation. OTOH, MODX6 at 14 lbs is way lighter than my Korg M3-61, has better piano sounds, more state-of-the-art and better sounding FM synthesis, has IOS-compatible USB audio interface, room on the right side for the iPad to sit on, audio input for guitar or whatever with envelope follower and audio sync, etc.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

For those of us who don't own a Montage, this should give a good idea of what the workflow might be like - the menu-diving doesn't look as awful as some might fear.

The search feature looks nice and easy to use.

Audition feature is also handy. It's niftier than the audition function on my XL-7 Command station, in that it shows you what parameters are being tweaked while the audition is playing.

Rhythm Pattern feature is pretty handy for practicing. I think it's drums-only and I'm not sure how editable the patterns are, so this doesn't make the MODX a workstation - but it can be useful for sketching out ideas for drums or filling out a live set if you're playing without a drummer or something.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  5. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Well I wound up returning it and getting the Roland FA-08. I really dug the sound and feel and it was easy to get around it, but I didn't realize just how limited the sequencer is, which for real players is not a big deal at all. But I'm a guitar player and I often need to play one part at a time, to get "tracks" down in the old fashioned way. The Roland is so simple to use.