New Yamaha THR?

To all those in UK & Europe, I've just had an email from Thomann.de saying that mine has shipped to the UK. Thomann also offer a three year guarantee. Hoping to gig it this Saturday....really hope I'm not disappointed...

Devildog5150

@ Stompboy, I just got my THR 100 HD last night, I really feel like an idiot, for the first 15 min I played it I mistakenly ran the head at 16 ohms into both sides of the cab, really was not that impressed, realizing I had not put the switch correctly to 8 ohms I turned off the amp, reset to 8 and tried again, there was the amp I heard on youtube, sounded excellent, my question is is it possible I harmed anything? Amp sounds fine and I never really turned up the volume. Anyone else feel free to chime in. I have owned tube amps for years, feel pretty stupid for making this mistake.

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
It's a bit quirky. If you run mono cables, the loop will only work for amp 1. You can't run a mono pedal for both amps. If it's a stereo delay or even dual mono, you just use a stereo to dual mono cable. Just one thing to be careful of is the series/ paralell thing which you access through the editor. If it's in paralell and you don't have killdry, the tone will suck. That said, if you are using mono cables and amp 2 loop is in series, when the loop is turned on you loose the sound from amp 2. Like I said, a little quirky but gives you some things to experiment with.

What are you using through the loop?
Just got my HD last night & there IS a way to use one pedal board or FX source for BOTH AMP I & II without TRS - Y cables. Simply use the software editor available on the Yamaha web site & change the factory setting from parallel to series. After that the loop will work for either/both amps/channels. The manual does state things in the clearest way. I'm finding that using the editor, setting adjustment & manual analysis is essential. The loop WILL work for both amps!

Jim234

To all those in UK & Europe, I've just had an email from Thomann.de saying that mine has shipped to the UK. Thomann also offer a three year guarantee. Hoping to gig it this Saturday....really hope I'm not disappointed...
Yep my THR100 is on it's way from Anderstons....

Very timely since I have just put my cab together for it - Whoop!

The next thing, will have to remind myself as to why I bought the TH100H instead of the 'D'. Something to do with gigging simplicity and wanting to use it as a pedal platform.... I think!?!

Mookyshoots

Supporting Member
Anyone yet to try these at apartment level volumes? I'm mainly looking to use one for that as well as some recording direct via XLR into a Focusrite 2i4.

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Just got my HD last night & there IS a way to use one pedal board or FX source for BOTH AMP I & II without TRS - Y cables. Simply use the software editor available on the Yamaha web site & change the factory setting from parallel to series. After that the loop will work for either/both amps/channels. The manual does state things in the clearest way. I'm finding that using the editor, setting adjustment & manual analysis is essential. The loop WILL work for both amps!
After loading the Utility Editor into my comp I slapped some headphones on and found some valuable internals available: 4 reverbs, 3 booster types, 3 positions of noise gating, various speaker emulations with a healthy dose of mike placements/types, etc. I'm sure than when this head is utilized with a Bogner Cube, Mesa EVL 112 or Burt 212 V-Front it will sing like a bird.

aizenx

@ Stompboy, I just got my THR 100 HD last night, I really feel like an idiot, for the first 15 min I played it I mistakenly ran the head at 16 ohms into both sides of the cab, really was not that impressed, realizing I had not put the switch correctly to 8 ohms I turned off the amp, reset to 8 and tried again, there was the amp I heard on youtube, sounded excellent, my question is is it possible I harmed anything? Amp sounds fine and I never really turned up the volume. Anyone else feel free to chime in. I have owned tube amps for years, feel pretty stupid for making this mistake.
You're fine. This is mainly an issue with tube amps. SS amps won't suffer from fly-back voltages the same way. No worries, carry on.

Mine arrived today, and so far so good.

I have not got the Yamie cab, so have been using a 12" 100 watt 8 ohm speaker (I'll try the 2 speaker thing tmw). The amp has a lot of variety of tone (as has been said previously). The weight is a dream come true (I won't gig with my old heavy combo anymore).

It doesn't feel like a digital amp (I've had digital ear fatigue before from Fender Mustangs and sold them on soon after purchase), I think Yamaha have been smart not putting a load of digital effects and presets in there..distancing itself from the competition. the ergonomics of the chunky knobS is good.

So far to get the sounds I want with my strat I've got my dist and OD pedals going straight in to the input. With my humbucker Cabronita I preferred them in the effects loop. I have a pub gig tomorrow and am going to try it out straight away. I would agree with the others that there is a lot of dialling to do, but isn't that the right way.....?

Jim234

First Doh! with my TH100H.

The FX loop is off until you plug in the footswitch and switch it on, I repeat the FX loop is off until you plug in the footswitch and switch it on.

I was not even going to unpack the footswitch I like a nice simple set up, pedals into clean channel. Hang on the loop is not working! Plugged in the Laptop, nope set to serial still not working. Cable problem - OK I'll swop them. Nope still not working. OK hang on lets plug in the footswitch. Oh its off OK... I'll switch on - yeah its working!!!

OK now it's on I'll remove the footswitch and pack it away - ER Doh! the loops is now off again.

This is daft, I have never had an amp where the loop is off by default. This gets my vote for an update, anyone else think this is a bit odd?

Jim234

The boost will give you that extra bit of volume but may send the amp into mild od so be careful. What cab are you using? I have run the HD through a number of cabs and one that stood out was an old vintage Bassman 212. The amp was super quiet through that.
I admit this my first real go at the amp today but I too noticed that the Clean is quiet as previously reported. I have the master and gain both set at 3 O'Clock. This I was not expecting, on any tube amp I have owned a master and gain set at such a level would = Crunch. Neither of these controls have much an affect on clean other than increasing the volume. Now I agree the philosphy of this setting is Clean, hence I am ok with the lack for break up thing, however the lack of overall volume worries me for a live setting. I am going to have to push the output volume quiet a bit.

Engaging the boost does indeed give more volume however you get too much break up even when set on minimum setting.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one yet?

THR100H
81 Gibson Les Paul
Road Kill Cab Loaded with Eminence Legend 1218

Settings:
100 watt, 8 ohms
EL34
Bass, Treb, Med = 12

Thanks in advance...

klontart

Afaik there's 3 boost options available, one of them is the clean boost type, the other two are more aggressive. Do you know which type you're using? If I'm not mistaken the type can be selected in the software.

Jim234

Clean Volume issue Resolved.

Following my ealier post where I felt that the Clean was missing something. I have now resolved this issue following a session tonight.

It would seem that the Bass, Mid and Treb are very sensitive - a little goes a long way. A boost to just a little less than 1 O'Clock on all three of the EQ makes a hugh difference. I am now getting all the tube like clean I was expecting, big bottom end with top end sparkle and clarrity - I am needless to say very impressed.

Here are my settings..

Tube: EL34 (Yes OK not a classic clean tube but one that I am used to - so it was a good starting place)
Class: A/B
Gain: 3 O'Clock
Master: Full
Booster: Off
Bass/ Mid/ Treb: 1 O'Clock (ish)
Presence: 1 O'Clock
Reverb: To taste

Guitar: 81 Les Paul Standard
Cab: Roadkill Weasel 1x12 Eminence Legend 1218

michaeld13

Figure I'd through in a wild card for the combo discussion that I think was happening somewhere in this thread. Vox, owned by Korg, who is owned or works very closely with Yahmaha just released an update to the their Valvetronix line- I wonder if Vox is getting some of the Yahmaha mojo in their combos- "The new modeling algorithm actually recreates the analog circuits of the most coveted tube amplifiers..." it sounds like the Yahmaha style modeling- down to the actual component level. Any thoughts?

jageya

works closely? define that better.....those new vox amps drop the ball in my opinion. The older valvetronic tech was amazing genius. The whole 1 tube in the preamp section is old hat.

Thanks! Now I really want one.......I want to try the THR100 into a 12" 90 watt Celestion Cream Alnico.

Clean Volume issue Resolved.

Following my ealier post where I felt that the Clean was missing something. I have now resolved this issue following a session tonight.

It would seem that the Bass, Mid and Treb are very sensitive - a little goes a long way. A boost to just a little less than 1 O'Clock on all three of the EQ makes a hugh difference. I am now getting all the tube like clean I was expecting, big bottom end with top end sparkle and clarrity - I am needless to say very impressed.

Mookyshoots

Supporting Member
Figure I'd through in a wild card for the combo discussion that I think was happening somewhere in this thread. Vox, owned by Korg, who is owned or works very closely with Yahmaha just released an update to the their Valvetronix line- I wonder if Vox is getting some of the Yahmaha mojo in their combos- "The new modeling algorithm actually recreates the analog circuits of the most coveted tube amplifiers..." it sounds like the Yahmaha style modeling- down to the actual component level. Any thoughts?
The last I knew of, Korg and Yamaha are completely separate companies that are competitors in the digital amp market.