New Yamaha THR?

Pentoad

I've thought about the alnico cream as well. I've also considered other cabs, like a pair of mesa wide body 1 X12 open backs, or a combination of an open and closed back mesa 1 X 12. They are about 33 lbs, so a little more than the Yamaha, but I really want an open back cab. The Mesas are handsome too, and the mismatched brands wouldn't look bad at all. I also considered a pair of Marshall 1912 cabs, but they are also 33 lbs and closed back. And they are $600 a piece.
I suppose I shouldn't judge the yamaha 1 X 12 cabs made for this unit without hearing them, i just prefer open backs and I don't want to buy a cab knowing I have to alter it. Also, the driver in the yamaha 1 X 12 unit is not too efficient, and with some complaining about the volume, maybe more efficient drivers would help.

michaeld13

works closely? define that better.....those new vox amps drop the ball in my opinion. The older valvetronic tech was amazing genius. The whole 1 tube in the preamp section is old hat.
Yes, it looks like they are not closely tied. I thought I read Yahmaha was a majority owner- but that's not right- at least not anymore.

LaXu

I admit this my first real go at the amp today but I too noticed that the Clean is quiet as previously reported. I have the master and gain both set at 3 O'Clock. This I was not expecting, on any tube amp I have owned a master and gain set at such a level would = Crunch. Neither of these controls have much an affect on clean other than increasing the volume. Now I agree the philosphy of this setting is Clean, hence I am ok with the lack for break up thing, however the lack of overall volume worries me for a live setting. I am going to have to push the output volume quiet a bit.
Seems like the same kind of issue you can have on the Axe-Fx for example. You should set your overall volume level first for your clean setting (so that it's as loud as you need etc) and then set any overdrive settings to work on that overall level. After all on these type of devices the gain/master control the tone and volume should be just loudness.

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Following my ealier post where I felt that the Clean was missing something. I have now resolved this issue following a session tonight.

It would seem that the Bass, Mid and Treb are very sensitive - a little goes a long way. A boost to just a little less than 1 O'Clock on all three of the EQ makes a hugh difference. I am now getting all the tube like clean I was expecting, big bottom end with top end sparkle and clarrity - I am needless to say very impressed.

Here are my settings..

Tube: EL34 (Yes OK not a classic clean tube but one that I am used to - so it was a good starting place)
Class: A/B
Gain: 3 O'Clock
Master: Full
Booster: Off
Bass/ Mid/ Treb: 1 O'Clock (ish)
Presence: 1 O'Clock
Reverb: To taste

Guitar: 81 Les Paul Standard
Cab: Roadkill Weasel 1x12 Eminence Legend 1218[/QUO

@Jim234: Great post! With all the amp's controls + the internal editing modes the THR100's got variety. I totally agree with you that if you want headroom (especially for live use) and a big clean sound: play with the settings (tube type, wattage, etc. Individual tastes are once more subject to the owner's past experience & ears. Then we have the PU's and player's touch to see how the input sensitivity responds.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

sidk47

Hi guys, I am concerned that I should just buy a tube amp instead of plonking down for a yamaha thr.

This is because stompboy mentioned that his mesa boogie lonestar sounds better and also bdonelly mentioned that his mesa boogie mark v 35 sounds better.

So I am thinking of getting a mesa boogie express. Please talk me out of this and into the Yamaha.

Jim234

Following my ealier post where I felt that the Clean was missing something. I have now resolved this issue following a session tonight.

It would seem that the Bass, Mid and Treb are very sensitive - a little goes a long way. A boost to just a little less than 1 O'Clock on all three of the EQ makes a hugh difference. I am now getting all the tube like clean I was expecting, big bottom end with top end sparkle and clarrity - I am needless to say very impressed.

Here are my settings..

Tube: EL34 (Yes OK not a classic clean tube but one that I am used to - so it was a good starting place)
Class: A/B
Gain: 3 O'Clock
Master: Full
Booster: Off
Bass/ Mid/ Treb: 1 O'Clock (ish)
Presence: 1 O'Clock
Reverb: To taste

Guitar: 81 Les Paul Standard
Cab: Roadkill Weasel 1x12 Eminence Legend 1218[/QUO

@Jim234: Great post! With all the amp's controls + the internal editing modes the THR100's got variety. I totally agree with you that if you want headroom (especially for live use) and a big clean sound: play with the settings (tube type, wattage, etc. Individual tastes are once more subject to the owner's past experience & ears. Then we have the PU's and player's touch to see how the input sensitivity responds.
[/QUOTE]

I think I was surprised how thin it sounded with the EQ set on the middle. All the amps I have owned have sounded much fuller with the settings.

But yes your 100% lots of settings on here and lots to explore.

voojo

Clean Volume issue Resolved.

It would seem that the Bass, Mid and Treb are very sensitive - a little goes a long way. A boost to just a little less than 1 O'Clock on all three of the EQ makes a hugh difference. I am now getting all the tube like clean I was expecting, big bottom end with top end sparkle and clarity - I am needless to say very impressed.
I'm glad to hear you got it sorted. I've been spoiled by the cleans from a 1968 Fender Showman head that I own, big, tight, powerful cleans. While I don't expect the THR100 to match it exactly, getting those nice sweet Fender cleans is something I hope to do with the THR100.

Interestingly enough my Showman is the same way, if you turn all of the tone controls down to zero it totally mutes the amp. They have a huge affect on overall volume. Maybe Yamaha used the same EQ section! :D

stompboy

Hi guys, I am concerned that I should just buy a tube amp instead of plonking down for a yamaha thr.

This is because stompboy mentioned that his mesa boogie lonestar sounds better and also bdonelly mentioned that his mesa boogie mark v 35 sounds better.

So I am thinking of getting a mesa boogie express. Please talk me out of this and into the Yamaha.
Just to clarify, I didn't say better. Simply hadn't managed to get a particular sound out of it that the LS can give. In reality, I've come to the conclusion it's not a sound I actually use that much and could get using a pedal so no major drama on my part.

Ultimately it's up to you which way you go purchase wise. The Express is an awesome amp. As is the Lonestar, as is the V35 and so on and so forth. What the THR will give you is options. Far more than you could need or want. You also have the added advantage of reliability, weight relief etc. THR is an incredible amp and I couldn't be happier. Like many I am drawn into amps that have glowing glass bottles in the back. I pretty much over that now. Mainly since this weekends gigs lifting the Mesa in and out of the car several times and pulling my shoulder out.

Yes I will keep the Lonestar. It will be gigged again without doubt. I will however be using the THR for the vast majority of gigs and sessions I have coming up. Thats me. You need to go and try one and see what you think. I don't think there will be any disappointment. ;-)

Stompboy posted before I could, but read his posts- he didn't say better, just different sounds that he hasn't had a chance to duplicate yet. But the fact that you read 'not as good' into that, and that you are asking people to make up your mind doesn't speak well for any choice you may make. Pick an amp, try to make it work, and if you can't, it isn't for you.

Jim234

Stompboy posted before I could, but read his posts- he didn't say better, just different sounds that he hasn't had a chance to duplicate yet. But the fact that you read 'not as good' into that, and that you are asking people to make up your mind doesn't speak well for any choice you may make. Pick an amp, try to make it work, and if you can't, it isn't for you.
This is great advice.

Sidk47 as Stompboy says this thing gives you options, to explore those options on separate tube amps would mean a lot of time of time in music stores or spending a lot of money on amps, buying trying and then selling - flip the money I have wasted.

Is THR100H better than a Tube amp? - well despite my delight at my clean setting - its still not as good but the differences are very marginal. Does the audience really care - no as long as it sounds half ass decent in the mix and the songs are good.

If you know you want a particular sound Marshall, Boogie, Fender then you should probably go and try one of those amps and buy.

My final thought - you buy a Marshall you get a Marshall sound. But after a while you start to hear nuances that you don't like and struggle to dial out. You swop tubes, change caps yadder yadder...
With the THR you have the opportunity to try different options (Stompboy agan) which may allow you to dial out that annoying 'fiz' and further allow you to try combinations of valves, class etc that no single valve amp can achieve.

LMychajluk

This seems to be the go-to thread discussing this amp on the web, so I wanted to say 'hi' and make a few comments.

I'm an intermediate guitar player (I'm probably exaggerating), but I've recently been getting a little more serious about playing better. I don't play in public (yet!). I play / would like to play a variety of stuff ranging from oldies (Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, etc...), various genres of rock (Pink Floyd / Eagles / Warren Zevon / Bryan Adams / Traveling Wiburys / Clash / Kinks), Alternative (Pogues / Tears for Fears / Replacements / Violent Femmes / Social Distortion), and some Ska and a little Punk. From the more modern bands I like Muse, Fun, Mumford & Sons, Florence and the Machine.

For reference, I have collected a few combo amps for use in my home (townhouse condo), none of which are tubes (and none of which I would consider 'pro' level), ranging from an Amplug Vox30 w/ the mini cabinet, Fender G-Dec 3 30, Vox Pathfinder, Vox Rhythm, and a Yamaha THR5. Except for the G-Dec3, these mostly fall into 'practice' or portable amp categories, and I don't have a ton of room for multiple full-size cabinets. Out of these, I like Pathfinder for its simplicity and the THR5 for its flexibility and portability (size and battery options, though I do wish it had the separate Bass/Mid/Treble of the THR10), and will switch between these two for my practice sessions. The G-DEC was my primary amp for a while, but it just seemed to be a pita to work with, so I'll probably regulate it to the family's vacation home where it'll serve double duty as an MP3 speaker.

Being very happy with my THR5, I'm considering going to the THR100HD w/ the single speaker cab for my home to get a little more flexibility and be able to experiment more, maybe even do a little recording w/ a PC down the road. I'm starting to try and play along with myself via a Digitech Jamman Solo XT and/or a Digitech Trio as accompaniment, both of which have stereo outputs. I'm thinking with the stereo outs, I can route the rhythm from the pedals to one channel of the amp (set to clean) and play along through the other channel with any effects I care to add. Or, I can easily pull Input 2 and switch between the 2 channels with the single guitar. Obviously, the second channel is also available if I have anyone over for a jam session. For PC Recording, I'm not sure a direct connect from the THR100HD would be ideal (I've had some issues w/ the THR5 using it this way), but with the 2 XLR outs to an Audio interface (looking at a Behringer U-Phoria, maybe) that also allows me to add a mic to the mix would be a decent solution. I'm also hoping that the cab would be good enough that should I want to start trying some other tube heads down the road (I'm looking at you, Mesa Boogie Rectifier Mini), I can still make use of it rather than buying 'matching' cabinets.

All in all, I think the THR100HD would be a good solution for me. Actually, I may be the perfect target for this thing! Though I wish the amp/cab combo was a little less $$$, my main concern is whether I can use it without bothering the neighbors (w/o using headphones) and w/o compromising the tonal qualities. I guess (?) as a solid state amp you won't need to feed it as much volume to get the tones you're looking for. Am I right with this? I see pdonnelly is getting away with this in a NYC apartment, so maybe it's not so much an issue? Worse case scenario I can set it up in a spare bedroom that has no adjoining walls / floors w/ any of my neighbors.

Thoughts / comments on any of the above?

Thanks for taking the time to read. Rock on!

-Lee

I've thought about the alnico cream as well. I've also considered other cabs, like a pair of mesa wide body 1 X12 open backs, or a combination of an open and closed back mesa 1 X 12. They are about 33 lbs, so a little more than the Yamaha, but I really want an open back cab. The Mesas are handsome too, and the mismatched brands wouldn't look bad at all. I also considered a pair of Marshall 1912 cabs, but they are also 33 lbs and closed back. And they are $600 a piece.
I suppose I shouldn't judge the yamaha 1 X 12 cabs made for this unit without hearing them, i just prefer open backs and I don't want to buy a cab knowing I have to alter it. Also, the driver in the yamaha 1 X 12 unit is not too efficient, and with some complaining about the volume, maybe more efficient drivers would help.
I'm hoping that the Cream Alnico will fit in a Mesa Lonestar 23 cab....it's 1.2" deeper than the stock Mesa Celestion. I think you have a great idea for the dual amp THR100HD- 1 open cab and 1 closed back.

greeny

Wow, well over the past couple of days I've pretty much read through the whole of this thread and listened to most of the videos herein. This was prompted by reading the review in Uk Guitarist which gave it 10/10.

I must say its been an interesting ride, which so far has had 3 main stages:

1- it's rubbish, it isnt what anybody wanted, it's overpriced, what on earth are Yamaha thinking
2- once some samples and audio were heard and people got past the fact that it isn't really like a thr10 then a much more positive vibe and for the most part a real excitement that this may be what people as waiting for: an easy to use digital amp that sounds as good as tube amps with more flexibility and reliability.
3- people actually start living with them and realise it doesn't actually sound as good as their favourite tube amp, but the plus points maybe outweigh the shortcomings.

Stage 4 - still to come: it is just another digital amp (ala Id60, etc) and not one for the tone snobs an consigned to the digital waistland (we shall see).

So for me I was hoping this might provide me a great clean, a great low gain OD sound, and a great mid gain OD type sound(think ac/dc). If it could do this I would be in. I am not interested in an amp that can give 10+ good sounds. I want 3 great sounds (and more all the better). Initial demos were encouraging with some great clean and low drive tones, however later posts are not so positive.

I have three great amps but they are only really great in one area.
Tone King metro - great fat fenders clean (best I have heard), merely good OD
Cornford Carrera - great low/mid gain sounds, only OK cleans.
Blackstar Artisan 30 - great voxy clean, great voxy OD but only at gigging volumes, I am not currently gigging so I use this amp rarely at the moment.

My hope was (is) that I can sell the Blackstar and get the thr100hd but I will only do that if it gives those 3 great sounds that mean I want to use it instead of the tone-King and Cornford.

stompboy

Wow, well over the past couple of days I've pretty much read through the whole of this thread and listened to most of the videos herein. This was prompted by reading the review in Uk Guitarist which gave it 10/10.

1- it's rubbish, it isnt what anybody wanted, it's overpriced, what on earth are Yamaha thinking
2- once some samples and audio were heard and people got past the fact that it isn't really like a thr10 then a much more positive vibe and for the most part a real excitement that this may be what people as waiting for: an easy to use digital amp that sounds as good as tube amps with more flexibility and reliability.
3- people actually start living with them and realise it doesn't actually sound as good as their favourite tube amp, but the plus points maybe outweigh the shortcomings.

Stage 4 - still to come: it is just another digital amp (ala Id60, etc) and not one for the tone snobs an consigned to the digital waistland (we shall see).

So for me I was hoping this might provide me a great clean, a great low gain OD sound, and a great mid gain OD type sound(think ac/dc). If it could do this I would be in. I am not interested in an amp that can give 10+ good sounds. I want 3 great sounds (and more all the better). Initial demos were encouraging with some great clean and low drive tones, however later posts are not so positive.

I have three great amps but they are only really great in one area.
Tone King metro - great fat fenders clean (best I have heard), merely good OD
Cornford Carrera - great low/mid gain sounds, only OK cleans.
Blackstar Artisan 30 - great voxy clean, great voxy OD but only at gigging volumes, I am not currently gigging so I use this amp rarely at the moment.

My hope was (is) that I can sell the Blackstar and get the thr100hd but I will only do that if it gives those 3 great sounds that mean I want to use it instead of the tone-King and Cornford.
Hiya,

Thanks for the post. I think if thats the kind of tonal range you live in, you would be happy with this amp. Naturally though, you need to try it. Where in Derbyshire are you based?

Jim234

@greeny

You seem to sum it up quite nicely.

IMHO it's defo not 1 and as you stated we've not got to Stage 4 yet! It is for me at any rate 2 and 3.

You have some nice tube amps that if you side by side with the THR you will probably find are going to be better. @stompboy talks about this in his posts.

I think you have to decide why YOU want this product. I am a gigging muso and needed something portable, light weight, reliable (still to be proved of course) with a decent sound that did not cramp my style. I needed a simple interaface where the EQ can be easily fixed on the fly at different venues. I also have a preference for head/ cab over combo's. This is the product I have been waiting for!

However If I was a home user - I am not so sure how I would justify buying this over the massive flexibility offered in Line 6 products or even a Fender Mustang.

My tube amps are pretty useless at home, 40 watt Blackstar, 50 watt Marshall DSL you could never crank them enough and come to think of it you could never crank them enough at pub gigs either without being told to turn down! Strangely enough the THR also seems to like to be cranked - however you are at a better place a bit earlier on the volume dial, plus you have the switching option on the back down to 25watt - have not used these yet though since I am trying to get my rig gig fit - perhaps someone else chip in here and discuss.

But it sounds to me that you are looking for a flexible option without having to drag out each of your other amps in which case this and other similar products might be it.

Last edited:

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Just a great thread to read everybody's responses & analysis of this little tone tool. From players who are not readily aware of using proper speaker impedance, not realizing A versus A/B headroom issues, tube characteristics, boost types (3), and on & on.

Despite many of our individual rushes to judge the THR100, it became aware to me once I got it to do the following:
  1. Install the software & Utility Editor, plug it in to my PC, put some decent headphones on, plug in my closest guitar & TWEAK it.
  2. Just like the first time I plugged in my Mesa MKV combo: figuring out & listening to the voicings, settings, types of various verbs-boosts-power tube varieties, speaker cab & mike settings: this amp requires a patient reading of it's manual. Then you have to understand what the utilities can do. Just because it's small didn't mean it had nothing under the hood.
  3. After an evening of careful tweaks I used it on a jobbing situation the next day with a 7-piece R&B band, powering a Bogner 1-12" cube and utilizing a Zion Fifty (tele-type) with DiMarzio Virtual Vintage stacked pups & no FX or slamming the front end with any pedals. The band complimented me (that's rare...LOL). I probably could have set the power at 100 watts, but I set it at 50 for both channels to see if I could push some air, make it squeal a bit, and work it with my guitar's controls: it did well for it's inaugural live gig.
  4. Future live & studio use will steer me back to the PC for more adjustments, but I've had to do that with other amps & speaker set-ups.
The bottom line is to have fun & save our backs & hearing...:aok

BD:
If you go to Sweetwater's web site, the only THR100's shipping are the "H" model: at least today it was. My sales engineer's associate didn't really read the letter that accompanied my MO for $500.00 stating my order for the HD model. Check with your salesman to see if they're shipping you the wrong model. As soon as I saw it delivered, I got a return label and shipped it back 30 minutes later. The assistant told me that I could use it until the HD's came in: I declined his offer. This was a first with Sweetwater.
:facepalm
I haven't ordered from Sweetwater for more than a decade due to horrible customer experiences.

rewihendrix

Question for stompboy:

On the 100H (not the HD), is the effects loop return stereo? I get that it won't be stereo in terms of the speaker cabinet, but for the direct to the board mix?

Trending Topics