New Yamaha THR?

rewihendrix

so after reading a bit more of the manual:

If I want to use stereo effects in the loop of the 100HD, I have to be in amp1+amp2 mode, not channel switching mode? Otherwise when I switch channels one side of the send/return won't work.

stompboy

so after reading a bit more of the manual:

If I want to use stereo effects in the loop of the 100HD, I have to be in amp1+amp2 mode, not channel switching mode? Otherwise when I switch channels one side of the send/return won't work.
Yeah thats right. The loop is an interesting one. It isn't really stereo, it's dual mono. As in, there is a loop for each amp and each one is mono but you can run both at the same time for stereo fx.

greeny

Hiya,

Thanks for the post. I think if thats the kind of tonal range you live in, you would be happy with this amp. Naturally though, you need to try it. Where in Derbyshire are you based?
Hi stomp boy, I will try this amp, but it will only get my money if the sounds that I want are not just like a tube amp, but are like a great tube amp. I am very encouraged by the words about dynamics and feel as this has been one of the main drawbacks of many a digital based amp.
I'm in north Derbyshire/greater Manchester border.

@greeny

I think you have to decide why YOU want this product. I am a gigging muso and needed something portable, light weight, reliable (still to be proved of course) with a decent sound that did not cramp my style. I needed a simple interaface where the EQ can be easily fixed on the fly at different venues. I also have a preference for head/ cab over combo's. This is the product I have been waiting for!

However If I was a home user - I am not so sure how I would justify buying this over the massive flexibility offered in Line 6 products or even a Fender Mustang.

My tube amps are pretty useless at home, 40 watt Blackstar, 50 watt Marshall DSL you could never crank them enough and come to think of it you could never crank them enough at pub gigs either without being told to turn down! Strangely enough the THR also seems to like to be cranked - however you are at a better place a bit earlier on the volume dial, plus you have the switching option on the back down to 25watt - have not used these yet though since I am trying to get my rig gig fit - perhaps someone else chip in here and discuss.

But it sounds to me that you are looking for a flexible option without having to drag out each of your other amps in which case this and other similar products might be it.
@Jim. My metro and Cornford amps are good at home volumes, the metro having a great power scaling and the Cornford being 5 watts. But I can't switch from a great clean to a great mid gain OD without changing amps. If the thr100 can do this at home level and offer easier (no tube hassles) ownership then I am in. The line6 and other modelling amps I have tried have not had the dynamic response, feel or in fact great tone that for me would be required.

Lution

After a few days owning the HD, I ended up sending it back due to a very scratchy boost volume pot on one of the two channels. But, even if it didn't have that issue I would have returned it anyway because of the fx loop. I had a feeling going in that it might not work the way I needed it to and I was correct. I hooked up my SPACE, El Cap, and Digitech Jamman in mono using Trs to Ts adapters so that I could utilize effects in both channels. When I first hooked it up and turned on the loop using the foot switch there was bad phasing issues. So, I plugged in the software and switched the loop over to serial. When I did that the phasing issue went away, but there was a large volume drop between the fx loop on and fx loop off. Can't have that. Not sure why that happened.

Thankfully, the SPACE has switches on the back to compensate. When I finally got that figured out, I listened and there was some pretty mean tone suck running the loop this way. A lot of the high end sparkle just dies. The final test was to engage my looper pedal to see if things would work setting up a clean loop and soloing over it using the second channel. Nope! There was large volume drop on the looped signal when I switched over to the second amp channel. So, when using a looper pedal for both channels in the fx loop the volume knob on both amp channels must be set exactly the same. This will not work because the clean needs more volume knob to keep up with the lead channel if set up that way.

Final thoughts. The loop didn't work in any way shape or form for my personal needs. It won't work like a channel switcher at all in the setup I have, which is pretty simple.

The tones were good enough. The clean was easy to dial in. A nice grindy Marshall rhythm and lead was tougher to dial in, but I eventually found a sound I could live with using the boost function before I discovered the scratchy boost knob and went on to discover the really unfortunate fx loop issue.

Again, this is my experience. It may work for you. Just do not expect it to work as a normal channel switcher with effects.

Last edited:

LMychajluk

Sounds like if people are getting fancy with the effects loop they may need something like this to get the switching functionality they need - http://www.loop-master.com/looper-p-285.html
(You can even select the LED colors to match the LEDs on the Amp)

Using the Insert Cables on the out and in for the amp, it seems like this switch will allow you to select which amp your input is coming from, which the output is going to, and whether or not your effects loop is in the mix. Could get pretty interesting taking the Amp 1 out and feeding it through the loop and back to Amp 2....

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't ordered from Sweetwater for more than a decade due to horrible customer experiences.
My order was corrected finally...do NOT deal with "sales engineer assistants" @ Sweetwater however.
That young fellow just did not choose to read my order nor communicate well at all.
Also don't expect speedy service when ordering a hot item...LOL.

stompboy

OK so I've done some digging on the loop. It really boils down to this. There are really only 2 ways of doing it as far as I can see. Either run mono cables and only have fx on amp 1 (wet dry stylee) or run a trs to 2 mono and have fx for each amp. Units like the Timefactor let you run dual mono so no drama there. What you can't do is run trs to mono. It just won't work properly. The phasing issues when the loop is on parallel are quite normal. The fx need to be switched to kill dry or 100% wet. If you don't have that then simply switch to serial loop and you're good to go.

stompboy

On a different note, here is a very quick and astonishingly un scientific a/b between the Lonestar and the THR. Done quickly on my phone without too much dialling in. They of course sound different but which one is which?

jageya

Sounds like if people are getting fancy with the effects loop they may need something like this to get the switching functionality they need - http://www.loop-master.com/looper-p-285.html
(You can even select the LED colors to match the LEDs on the Amp)

Using the Insert Cables on the out and in for the amp, it seems like this switch will allow you to select which amp your input is coming from, which the output is going to, and whether or not your effects loop is in the mix. Could get pretty interesting taking the Amp 1 out and feeding it through the loop and back to Amp 2....
add another 100.00 to the amp? no way...its already overpriced

jageya

On a different note, here is a very quick and astonishingly un scientific a/b between the Lonestar and the THR. Done quickly on my phone without too much dialling in. They of course sound different but which one is which?

the noise gate gave it away...lol...which ever is which( i call real amp is 1st noodle...thr is 2nd noodle...) the 2nd is thinner and 1 dimensional while the 1st noodle is fuller and more 3 dimensional.If the 1st noodle is the thr then hats off...i am impressed

Last edited:

colluluigi

I think the one is thr100

greeny

I would hope the first effort is the lone star as it's much noisier than the second effort, so would be disappointed if the thr had that high a noise floor. I guess the second sound is slightly thinner but you could just say it's more focused.

jageya

I would hope the first effort is the lone star as it's much noisier than the second effort, so would be disappointed if the thr had that high a noise floor. I guess the second sound is slightly thinner but you could just say it's more focused.
i dont know if focused is the right word....but it may be...it seems more flat to me...hey they both begin with an F...