New Yamaha THR?

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
The ongoing saga of the THR100HD's "serial (love that page of the owner's manual)-parallel" loop...
The pasta bowl of TRS to Y mono cables illustrated in the manual (Page 19 in the manual is rather off-kilter) was strange, so I called Yamaha out in Cali to ask their tech guys to read the schematic to see how to use ANY effect & have it be shared by I, II or I+II with out the thought of having any rack or pedalboard only used for Amp I or II. The tech was helpful & stated that a simply adjustment via the utility program from parallel to series would take care of that snag; and using 2 mono cables would be the end of it. No way: I had the pedalboard sounding nice for Amp I but nothing in Amp II. Then it hit me: could getting a TRS to mono cable similar to those used by the ES-345/355 (yes: they DO make non-Y stereo to mono cables) solve this situation? Seems the THR loop sends signals via TRS for each amp & receives it back via TRS as well.

That strange mono send/mono return (at the bottom of page 19) & series adjustment via the utility STILL only works for just AMP I. IMHO using a TRS to mono (single plug) at the start of a pedal chain input & using a mono out from your last pedal return/out jack back to the THR's return with a TRS might finally do it. Quest forth O brotherhood of THD owners.

Let me know if this cable adjustment finally does it instead of buying more pedals...LOL:idea:facepalm:brick

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
@stompboy or anyone else. I have not noted the fan on the back spining despite gigging. Does the fan only turn when it needs to rather than be on all the time?
According to Yamaha it only goes on (and even speeds up) if the amp heats up at all...
Get back to us if you notice it Jim234.

Lution

The ongoing saga of the THR100HD's "serial (love that page of the owner's manual)-parallel" loop...
The pasta bowl of TRS to Y mono cables illustrated in the manual (Page 19 in the manual is rather off-kilter) was strange, so I called Yamaha out in Cali to ask their tech guys to read the schematic to see how to use ANY effect & have it be shared by I, II or I+II with out the thought of having any rack or pedalboard only used for Amp I or II. The tech was helpful & stated that a simply adjustment via the utility program from parallel to series would take care of that snag; and using 2 mono cables would be the end of it. No way: I had the pedalboard sounding nice for Amp I but nothing in Amp II. Then it hit me: could getting a TRS to mono cable similar to those used by the ES-345/355 (yes: they DO make non-Y stereo to mono cables) solve this situation? Seems the THR loop sends signals via TRS for each amp & receives it back via TRS as well.

That strange mono send/mono return (at the bottom of page 19) & series adjustment via the utility STILL only works for just AMP I. IMHO using a TRS to mono (single plug) at the start of a pedal chain input & using a mono out from your last pedal return/out jack back to the THR's return with a TRS might finally do it. Quest forth O brotherhood of THD owners.

Let me know if this cable adjustment finally does it instead of buying more pedals...LOL:idea:facepalm:brick
Your last sentence is exactly how I ran my pedals into and out of the loop. See my earlier post for the unfortunate results.

Optimistic08

Update: I just managed to buy a THR100HD on EBay UK for £435 ($650). That feels like a bargain to me :) It should arrive tomorrow so i'll compare it to my Mesa Express 5/25 and let you know the results.

Using my PRS DGT into a Mojotone 2x12 slant (mono with a pair of Cannabis Rex)

Initial impression: meh, lil bit underwhelmed.... Like with all modeling gear, I get that any new modeling gear isn't going to have the same X factor or mojo of a certain piece of high-end (or vintage) gear. Maybe I'm just expecting too much? Maybe/maybe not....

That being said, I've only spent about 30 minutes cranked up and another 30 minutes with headphones. Headphone tones are somewhat more clear/defined when compared to my THR10C. But, the tones themselves aren't that much better - it's feels like a higher quality signal. (which I did find something strange about the headphone jacks on these two amps -- why does the THR10 use a larger 1/4 headphone jack, and the "bigger" THR100 use 1/8? Seems backwards/odd to me...)

Amp itself is not nearly as loud as I expected, though plenty loud for most any gig I've ever played. I say this in regards to the comments about the cleans only getting barely loud enough, but not nearly as loud as the dirtier tones. Tube models and the A/AB switch does a good job, clean/lead/modern/etc... does a good job too. I'm not able to quickly dial in certain tones from my head tho.... I know this amp was not designed to sounds "just like a _______," but it'd be nice if I could get closer to certain amp tones (and not just creating new/different/similar tones reminiscent of _______ amp sounds).

Takes my pedals just fine, no problem there at all.

Booster seems to add different frequencies of noise. For example, when I turn on the boost for different amp models is accents certain high-pitched frequencies more than others (not just raising the noise floor like with a traditional booster pedal).

Form factor - it's a great piece & if I would gigging a lot, the loss of weight/bulk would be greatly appreciated.

Keep it? Not sure yet, the noise issues from the boosters coupled with the lack of the wow factor has left me fairly underwhelmed... I'll report more later, after I've spent more time turning knobs.

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Your last sentence is exactly how I ran my pedals into and out of the loop. See my earlier post for the unfortunate results.
To all those THR100HD folks who have had issues using ONE FX source (pedal board or single Multi-FX unit) and getting it to work with BOTH AMP I or AMP II: here's the solution that was NOT clearly explained or defined on Page 19 of the THR's owner's manual...

We're all learning that BOTH the Send & Return jacks in the back of the HD are TRS... Okay?
By simply using one of the following you can have your FX pedal board or FX processor be ALIVE no matter what amp mode you're in:
1. Hosa makes an adapter called the GPP-419 ($2.49 each): buy a pair and plug into the send & return. These adapters are described as 1/4" mono source (female) to 1/4" TRS plug. Put TRS plug in the send, plug your mono cable onto the female 1/4" on the other end of that plug, and run it into the start of your signal chain. Run your return cable back to the GPP-419 at the return jack & you're good to go. I just did this and there were absolutely no problems.
2. Best-Tronics here in the Chicago makes cables that have 1/4" TRS to 1/4" mono with variations from straight to straight, right angle to straight, and with various plug brands like Neutrik, CA, etc. Price varies by cable & plug quality, length. Go to BTPA.com if you want to avoid the adapter issue: two models I saw were SI6N-XX & SI6RS-XX.
3. Get a pair of Gibson ES-355 stereo to mono (single plug) cables and you can go that route too.

I hope this finally clears the way for better owner utilization the amp & it's loop...Happy Holidays.

Lution

To all those THR100HD folks who have had issues using ONE FX source (pedal board or single Multi-FX unit) and getting it to work with BOTH AMP I or AMP II: here's the solution that was NOT clearly explained or defined on Page 19 of the THR's owner's manual...

We're all learning that BOTH the Send & Return jacks in the back of the HD are TRS... Okay?
By simply using one of the following you can have your FX pedal board or FX processor be ALIVE no matter what amp mode you're in:
1. Hosa makes an adapter called the GPP-419 ($2.49 each): buy a pair and plug into the send & return. These adapters are described as 1/4" mono source (female) to 1/4" TRS plug. Put TRS plug in the send, plug your mono cable onto the female 1/4" on the other end of that plug, and run it into the start of your signal chain. Run your return cable back to the GPP-419 at the return jack & you're good to go. I just did this and there were absolutely no problems.
2. Best-Tronics here in the Chicago makes cables that have 1/4" TRS to 1/4" mono with variations from straight to straight, right angle to straight, and with various plug brands like Neutrik, CA, etc. Price varies by cable & plug quality, length. Go to BTPA.com if you want to avoid the adapter issue: two models I saw were SI6N-XX & SI6RS-XX.
3. Get a pair of Gibson ES-355 stereo to mono (single plug) cables and you can go that route too.

I hope this finally clears the way for better owner utilization the amp & it's loop...Happy Holidays.
guitardr,

Those Hosa adapters are the exact adapters I purchased and used specifically for the fx loop in the THR100HD and found the loop to have problems that I documented earlier in this thread. Perhaps you found no problems and that's cool. I'm glad they worked for you. I found a few problems and those problems ended up causing the amp to be useless for running my SPACE, El Cap, and Jamman in the loop and therefore useless as an amp for me.

LMychajluk

Am I going nuts, or do I remember seeing a PDF that included some 'examples' of settings on the THR100HD and what amp it was supposed to sound similar to? It also included some 'blank' pages to add your own settings. I thought it was something from Yamaha, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
guitardr,

Those Hosa adapters are the exact adapters I purchased and used specifically for the fx loop in the THR100HD and found the loop to have problems that I documented earlier in this thread. Perhaps you found no problems and that's cool. I'm glad they worked for you. I found a few problems and those problems ended up causing the amp to be useless for running my SPACE, El Cap, and Jamman in the loop and therefore useless as an amp for me.
Weird...

Am I going nuts, or do I remember seeing a PDF that included some 'examples' of settings on the THR100HD and what amp it was supposed to sound similar to? It also included some 'blank' pages to add your own settings. I thought it was something from Yamaha, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I'd love to see this too!!!!! Please share if you find it!

Alex Fever

BOOM. The manual is available. Go see for yourselves.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...ry_id2=16173&category_id3=&product_id=2112484

There are 2 heads (THR100H and THR100HD). The D being dual channel. 25/50/100W. Looks a lot like the Blackstar TVP stuff except with the added ability to choose Class A vs A/B poweramp, and the poweramp selection is on the back panel (why??!? Maybe to avoid a lawsuit from Blackstar?). There are also 1x12 and 2x12 cabs (THRC112 and THRC212). No tubes.

A couple of features caught my attention. One, third party IRs on the direct outputs. Yes! That is no doubt what Digital Igloo was referring to as TGP's wheelhouse feature. Another feature is that on the THR100HD you can run both channels at the same time on separate outputs, thereby simulating 2 amps in stereo. The THRC212 cab is a stereo cab, so you can run both amp sims into that cab. You can even connect 2 separate guitars to run both channels to separate cabs.

Those who are selling off your existing THR amps, no need. They aren't being replaced. As for me, at this point I will happily keep my ID60 and my THR10. :)
I also have an ID60 + THR10 and seeking that THR100HD now, we seem to have the same taste in amps... :beer
What can you tell me about its sound? How does it compare to the 2?
Does it have the same digital edge as the ID60 or is it a vast improvement? Is it more organic?
What about response/attack? ID60 is still not 100% tube-like (for obvious reasons), I find the THR10 better for that
How does the THR100 compare to the other 2?

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious dr - what's in your loop? Are you able to get effects in amp 1 & amp 2?
Sending to a EHX Pitchfork > Neo Mini-Ventilator > TC Nova Delay.
Using the plug-in TRS adaptors with female 1/4" with top-line BPTA.com cables.
With the internal utility switched to "serial" & having the FX on: just switching Amp I to II does it with shared use by both amps.
Using it at the Bulls game tomorrow.

After another session with the THR last night... it faired a little better. It's starting to win me back over, I'll make a decision within the next week or two.

One thing is for sure about modeling gear - it requires more knob turning. Modeling gear does NOT instantly have that WOW factor like a traditional tube amp (at least IMHO & experiences). Last week I tried a Dr. Z Monza & was INSTANTLY blown away by how badass it was. Instantly. I was getting similar tones last night from the THR, but it was not as instantaneous. That being said - the THR can do things that the Monza can't, so it's not a clear cut black/white decision to make.....

Jim234

After another session with the THR last night... it faired a little better. It's starting to win me back over, I'll make a decision within the next week or two.

One thing is for sure about modeling gear - it requires more knob turning. Modeling gear does NOT instantly have that WOW factor like a traditional tube amp (at least IMHO & experiences). Last week I tried a Dr. Z Monza & was INSTANTLY blown away by how badass it was. Instantly. I was getting similar tones last night from the THR, but it was not as instantaneous. That being said - the THR can do things that the Monza can't, so it's not a clear cut black/white decision to make.....
Yes your right they all take some tweaking but the THR has required less. Gigged my over the weekend, still not 100% happy with the sound but getting there.

dgallina

How quickly you can get good tones from a tube amp varies by amp as well.

My little Marshall JTM-1 is super easy to dial in since it only has volume and tone (and the tone knob is nearly useless at that). It sounds GREAT for sure, but it only has one good sound.

My Mesa Express 5:25 Plus, conversely, can make quite a few good sounds from a wide palette of options. But it takes MUCH more work to configure and can easily create ****** tones if you fiddle with the knobs without having read the manual.

LMychajluk

I'd love to see this too!!!!! Please share if you find it!
me too

Thank you
Sorry, guys... I was having a brain fart. I think I was thinking of the Sample Setting pages from the Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier manual, which I was looking at as well. It would be nice to have something similar from Yamaha, though....

I am really liking the amp, though. So far, I've only had it on the 25W power setting, and it still sounds way better than the 'practice' amps I've been using up until I got this baby. Does it sound better than Tube Amp X? I don't know, but it's good enough for me (for now...).

-Lee

Jim234

How quickly you can get good tones from a tube amp varies by amp as well.

My little Marshall JTM-1 is super easy to dial in since it only has volume and tone (and the tone knob is nearly useless at that). It sounds GREAT for sure, but it only has one good sound.

My Mesa Express 5:25 Plus, conversely, can make quite a few good sounds from a wide palette of options. But it takes MUCH more work to configure and can easily create ****** tones if you fiddle with the knobs without having read the manual.
True, my Blackstar HT40 was up and running in less than an hour with pedals. Marshall DSL50 pretty much the same.

At the moment I am battling with trying to choose between the EL34 or the brighter and IMHO the slightly better clarrity from the EL84. All this has got to work well with my pedal board plus mic'd through the PA. Difficult to decide in a bedroom situation and will probably take me another gig messing around with mic placement and how it sounds through the PA to decide for sure. My initial MIC placement and EQ on the board was incorrect on Saturday the sound was too thin, so I moved the mic further away from the dust cap, dropped the top and boosted the mids and bottom end slightly. I did not change the EQ on the THR - sounded pretty decent through the cab although I know that the volume levels were too low. It was not the ideal club to sound check in since it was busy all night. The venue this week tends to be pretty much empty until the gig kicks off so I should have a better stab at getting things in a better place.

For what its worth in a gig situation the overall feel was really good. The THR seems to benefit with the volume been kicked well above 9 O'Clock.

Trending Topics