New Yamaha THR?

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys, I am also interested in purchasing one of these things. But I am unsure because I need a good effects loop for my looper pedal and I am not sure that the Yamaha can give me that as some people have complained about problems with the effects loop. Can somebody please elaborate as to what exactly is the problem with the effects loop on the unit? Also, what are the special cables involved? I don't know if those type of cables are widely available.
After contacting Yamaha USA in CA I solved (for me) the problem with the TRS FX loop jacks on the THR100HD...
Please find my entry in this thread re: TRS>mono cables or adapters to use (#1513 in this thread): this works for me or PM me for any further support/help.

Barquentine

I wonder how these amps are selling ? Any big name users yet ? I'm really getting into mine and making better sounds every time I plug in. I'm using mainly the Lead and Modern settings. I'm finding that the boosts are crucial to fine tuning the sound. Great amp.

LMychajluk

I was re-arranging some furniture this weekend and moved mine out of the corner it was in (right next to my normal position while playing) and out about 8' away. Holy cow, it was like I got a completely different amp! I like this amp more and more every day! Mostly using Clean and Crunch.

alp

Well folks, after a few hiccups but with help from Stompboy (cheers, mate) and GAK I now have may amp.
Just curious, what was the problem with your amp? User error? Production fault? Repaired? Replaced?... I am probably going to buy a THR100HD online from another country and just scared to have issues..

Last edited:
I wonder how these amps are selling ? Any big name users yet ? I'm really getting into mine and making better sounds every time I plug in. I'm using mainly the Lead and Modern settings. I'm finding that the boosts are crucial to fine tuning the sound. Great amp.
I can't imagine the sales would be too big in the US, because as far as I know -- they are only available at one retailer (without a public showroom). No clue what it's like across the pond....

Barquentine

I got my amp online from GAK. My first amp didn't make any sound. Got a replacement within a few days with no quibbles. Just one of those things - when I got my Cornford there was an issue with the first one. The replacement has been as solid as a rock for over 7 years. I wouldn't worry, the Yamaha is reassuringly well out together.

Reactions: alp

Barquentine

Stompboy question - the inspirations for the various amps are well indicated in the manual. Crunch is Vox, Lead is Marshall etc. What's behind the Modern sound - Boogie, Soldano ?

Ech0

What about using THR100 Dual with two THRC 212?

The only question and a dilemma for me is using stereo delay with only one 212 in stereo mode. Does it pan well or is it "muddy"?

Jim234

Stompboy question - the inspirations for the various amps are well indicated in the manual. Crunch is Vox, Lead is Marshall etc. What's behind the Modern sound - Boogie, Soldano ?
Yamaha have specifically not modelled any amps here. Hence there is no Marshall or vox settings. What you do is pick your setting, valves and class. Then work in a approximation of what you think that amp sounds like. They have given you a selection of settings and valves that are commonly used on the 'named' amps that everyone knows. So you should in theory reproduce the sounds from many different amps.

So pick clean, el84 and class A. Crank the gain a bit fix you eq and you will get something akin to a clean on a vox.

However also consider that you can create combinations of valves which would be only available from boutique amp builders such as a clean amp using EL34s on Class A. The possibilities are wide here.

Now then what's the phrase again that yamaha use "Don't inmate, create

However I would certainly agree in the case of modern that the engineers had several different amps on there mind with similar mid scooped high gain properties.

Last edited:

cSmart

Waza ****? :) The other solidstate amp just announced, costing much more, only has me more convinced that the THR100HD is what I need. :) Good job Yamaha!

Just have to find a lightweight 1x12 or 2x12 to pair with it. Should I worry about Neodynium speakers not delivering enough volume? I've read comments in this thread that it doesn't seem loud enough with some cabs and speakers.

A Traynor YCS90 2x12 combo I owned had great sounds and was indeed lighter than similar 2x12's, but the neo speakers in it were definitely less efficient. I really had to crank the thing.

Jim234

Waza ****? :) The other solidstate amp just announced, costing much more, only has me more convinced that the THR100HD is what I need. :) Good job Yamaha!

Just have to find a lightweight 1x12 or 2x12 to pair with it. Should I worry about Neodynium speakers not delivering enough volume? I've read comments in this thread that it doesn't seem loud enough with some cabs and speakers.

A Traynor YCS90 2x12 combo I owned had great sounds and was indeed lighter than similar 2x12's, but the neo speakers in it were definitely less efficient. I really had to crank the thing.
Saw the waza stuff as well launched this week. Rediculously expensive. And folks complained that the THR was off price point.

Anyway there are loads of cab builders out there. If you are in the UK look at Road Kill cabs. I loaded my 1x12 with the eminence 1218. Great cab with a really positive response, weighs very little.

THR is loud enough to gig with, just not as loud as a Tube amp, having said that never had mine past 11 OClock and that's on clean. I've gigged this exclusively since November, bit of a learning curve to get the live sound right but that's the same with any new gear.

bdonnelly

Silver Supporting Member
I missed this vid earlier..it's Dennis Hormes demonstrating the Revstar guitars, but he's using the THR100HD + cab here...

cSmart

Ok, further to my cab question, can someone recommend a cab I can find in a larger music equipment retailer that already comes with Neodymium driver(s)? thanks.

Trending Topics