• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

New Yamaha THR?

jageya

I want to ask people who own this amp, is this amp any loud? I was watching the demo below and notice the volume level on the far left side of the front panel ! if this amp is near any even 100 solid state watts, that should be crazy loud that i wonder why someone tortures himself that way in a silent environment ??? Check the 6:10 please..

I have a Tech21 TM60 solid state amp that i have gigged with literally a thousand times and even on the loudest stages in the largest venues i never needed to adjust master volume on the clean channel more than 1 o'clock on the dial. I don't expect loudness of a 100 tube watts from THR100 but this and some other demos i have seen on youtube makes me worry.

Can someone give comparison on the loudness of these amps with some well known generic amplifiers? Lets say Fender Hotrod, Blues Junior, etc..
again the solid setting is a waste of a knob position...lame

I want to ask people who own this amp, is this amp any loud? I was watching the demo below and notice the volume level on the far left side of the front panel ! if this amp is near any even 100 solid state watts, that should be crazy loud that i wonder why someone tortures himself that way in a silent environment ??? Check the 6:10 please..
You can change the wattage on the back of the amp. That means having the amp at 9 @25 watts won't be as loud as having it at 9 @100 watts.

cSmart

I plan on using the solid setting for traditional jazz.

Hmm is it bright/clear enough to also work for some acoustic things? Anybody tried that?

That Thai demo was awesome. I'm totally convinced, or as convinced as I can be before actually plugging in myself.

Schrader

Anyone try the THR100 w/ an acoustic / electric? Do any of the amp settings sound decent (Solid)?
I plugged my acoustic in on solid setting and it sounded ok. I think it can be tweaked to sound better. It was playing thru the 2x12 cab. Maybe if connected to full range speaker it may have been better.
(Much better than the VOX AC15 Haha). I did connect the digitech trio plus pedal to amp II on solid and played thru amp I. That sounded pretty good FWIW.

juanffz

Hi guys!! For a quite long time I´ve been thinking about buying a THR100HD, but i´ve been living in a small apartment and I had literally no place for the amp. I´ve owned a THR10X for two years now and love it, but i want something moving some more air... last weekend I moved to a new flat and I now have a dedicated room for my guitars, so I am buying the THR100.

Now i have a doubt... I would certainly love to buy the 2x12 cab, but the amp wont be going out of my home, as i am an amateur home player, so no gigs expected, and I believe a 2x12 would be too much for such a use (also the 2x12 cab is pretty bulky, and eventhough the new flat is bigger, I would prefer something with a smaller footprint). I still would love to use de dual capabilities of the THR100HD through the 1x12, is it possible?. I know I can connect the 100hd to the 1x12 cab, but will the dual sounds be any good or would it be wise to skip the 100HD and keep costs down buying just the THR100H?

The benefit of the 2x12 is the mismatched speakers giving you a slightly different response for each amp.
With a single 1x12 you're basically summing them to mono and hearing it only through one speaker.

If I wanted to buy and save money, I'd get the HD + a 1x12. You can always add a second speaker cab later, but you can't add a second channel to the THR100H. And the dual amp setup of THR100 is the best selling point - there's nothing really like having a guitar powering two amps and blending their sound.

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys!! For a quite long time I´ve been thinking about buying a THR100HD, but i´ve been living in a small apartment and I had literally no place for the amp. I´ve owned a THR10X for two years now and love it, but i want something moving some more air... last weekend I moved to a new flat and I now have a dedicated room for my guitars, so I am buying the THR100.

Now i have a doubt... I would certainly love to buy the 2x12 cab, but the amp wont be going out of my home, as i am an amateur home player, so no gigs expected, and I believe a 2x12 would be too much for such a use (also the 2x12 cab is pretty bulky, and eventhough the new flat is bigger, I would prefer something with a smaller footprint). I still would love to use de dual capabilities of the THR100HD through the 1x12, is it possible?. I know I can connect the 100hd to the 1x12 cab, but will the dual sounds be any good or would it be wise to skip the 100HD and keep costs down buying just the THR100H?
The benefit of the 2x12 is the mismatched speakers giving you a slightly different response for each amp.
With a single 1x12 you're basically summing them to mono and hearing it only through one speaker.

If I wanted to buy and save money, I'd get the HD + a 1x12. You can always add a second speaker cab later, but you can't add a second channel to the THR100H. And the dual amp setup of THR100 is the best selling point - there's nothing really like having a guitar powering two amps and blending their sound.
MS is on the money...the HD gives you the advantage of having one amp be your "clean" setting and then go to a nastier sound with the second amp. I use 2 different 1-12" cabs: Bogner Cube with Celestion Classic 80 and a Mesa Thiele cab with an EV SRO (for higher dB). It all depends on how loud you want to be, and how heavy you'd like the cabinet to weigh. IMHO[/QUOTE]

juanffz

Certainly buying the 100HD makes no compromise at all and if necessary I could later add another 1x12, so I believe the HD is coming home... If I find the time I might try the amp this week and make my final decision..

LMychajluk

@juanffz If you have a set of studio monitors, try them out via the line-outs from the THR100HD. I'm running mine through a mixer (which is also an audio interface), and I think it sounds great, and I don't even use the THR112 cabinet anymore. You could always add the cabinet later.

RReset

I am considering getting the THR100HD.. I am also wanting to buy a looping/switcher pedal such as TC electronic G System.. from what i understand you can use the G System to change channels on your amp through the relay ports and save them into G System presets.. the G system relays are 1/4 inch connectors like typical footswitch pedals but since the THR100HD uses a midi/DIN port for changing its amp selection I was wondering would it be possible to incorporate it into a G System at all ?

is the DIN connection the THR100 uses a proprietry Yamaha protocol for switching the amp settings or is it still midi control change messages ? I know it says the THR doesn't support midi but im wondering why would you have a midi DIN port and not use standard midi messages to change the amp ?? if it does respond to midi CC's I think I could still use it with the G system.. if not it impedes the functionality quite a bit..

is the DIN connection the THR100 uses a proprietry Yamaha protocol for switching the amp settings or is it still midi control change messages ? I know it says the THR doesn't support midi but im wondering why would you have a midi DIN port and not use standard midi messages to change the amp ??
Because there are 5 switching options on the THR100HD, and a midi cable has more pins / wires to send more info to the amp than a standard TRS plug. Plus midi cables are commonly available, letting you replace a broken one or buy a longer one if you need it. That way you don't have to be limited to a proprietary cable that you can only get from yamaha.

That's why they used a midi cable. As to why they didn't implement midi with the system, it's an extra expense for a feature 99% or more of their users will never use or even think of using.

RReset

As to why they didn't implement midi with the system, it's an extra expense for a feature 99% or more of their users will never use or even think of using.
midi is 25 years old its not hard or expensive for companies to implement, If I had the time i could go and buy an arduino or similar micro controller and convert the Yamaha interface myself for a few $$.. if you need to use a midi plug because there are more switching options its mindless not to use midi as the protocol to switch the channels also.. then at least people would have the ability to use the amp with other equipment. what they have done is isolate it from integrating with other devices..

midi is 25 years old its not hard or expensive for companies to implement, If I had the time i could go and buy an arduino or similar micro controller and convert the Yamaha interface myself for a few $$.. .
It's such vital feature that Yamaha has to spend the time and money to add it to every single unit they make - but not quite vital enough that you spend a few dollars and a bit of your own time to solve the issue yourself.

Makes perfect sense.

spiral

i know that...but its like the tvp button on the blackstar id amps...it was lame to even have that button to turn it off....

I would have rather seen a diff setting the solid thats all.
I don't see it as the same as TVP at all. Some guitarist use a solid state amp for the quick reaction and dynamics which is especially nice for archtops and jazz players. I would probably only use the first few preamp positions on the THR so I'm glad the solid state setting is there.

lowpaygigs

@juanffz If you have a set of studio monitors, try them out via the line-outs from the THR100HD. I'm running mine through a mixer (which is also an audio interface), and I think it sounds great, and I don't even use the THR112 cabinet anymore. You could always add the cabinet later.
Does it work well with a regular guitar cab?