New Years Eve gig

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by HedgesFan, Dec 26, 2009.

1. HedgesFan

HedgesFan Member

Who all have gigs booked for New Years Eve? I'll be playing a local Country Club me and the guys have been doing for the past 10 years.

2. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I hate nye gigs so this year we booked a nye-eve gig instead. Getting home with gear on nye is near impossible here. You can't even think about drinking one beer and going through road blocks etc....

playing the riot room in westport wednesday, pretty excited about having nye off. :)

3. GoofyDawg

GoofyDawg Member

No NYE gigs, but I do have one on New Year's Day at a local restaurant. Can't believe they're open. No matter, it's money in my pocket. :)

4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

playing our regular spot here in NJ, should be a great night! I usually don't drink much anyway during shows so not much to worry about from my end! Should be a great crowd.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Haven't played a New Year's Eve gig in years; haven't needed to so I routinely turn them down.

With all the hassle in Pasadena - I live a couple blocks from the Rose Parade route - the whole Old Town section and Colorado Bl. are shut down from about noon and the whole city is wall-to-wall people - I'd much rather stay at home and hang with the family.

If someone called with a gig that sounded like fun and it was stupid good money I'd do it, but that hasn't been the case in a long time.

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

2 years ago I had two beers (over two sets) and a beer after the show and still was forced to do a field sobriety test...blew a .02. It was a 45+ minute detour standing out in freezing cold with a bunch of cops at 3:30am. :(:FM

they searched my car, had me get my gear out went through my cable bag etc... i'm still pissed about it. I don't have long hair or any stickers on my car either. :dunno

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Playing a private party. Should be fun. However, I could just as easily stay home with my wife.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'm preferential to not playing NYE shows.

I remember one year playing 2 gigs across town from each other and then driving up to my parents' house for NYE

9. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I'll be playing at one of our favorite gigging spots.

The dough is pretty good and these people party.

I'll have to try to stifle my own inebriation.

10. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Island Breakers (www.islandbreakers.com) offered us double what our usual NYE gig at the Cocoa Beach Pier pays. Not sure it will be a good gig, but it will pay well. Closer to home, as well.

11. small axe

small axe Member

i might hit an open mic here at a pretty chill place...play some acoustic and keep it mellow

12. bigroy

bigroy Member

I'm five minutes from home, small martini bar/restaurant that has been very supportive of live music this year. And doing Sat the 2nd too. Lots of friends in the house to boot.

13. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

After many, many NYEs pretty much in a row (missed one somewhere in the 90s), I haven't played one since my weekend-warrior band dissolved gosh, 4 years ago now..

A good freind who plays full time up and down the state booked New Years eve near here this year and has invited me to sit in for the evening. I'm There.

It's always fun to play with him, all bluesy stuff, covers and originals If I don't know the tune, well they are normally a blues-rock Trio...so they have it all covered :).

What's amazing about jamming with my buddy is he and I were in our first band together in high school, then went our different ways ....We reconnected 5 or so years ago after a couple decades of not seeing each other.

So it's way sweet. And the gigs always turn into reunions of some sort. Have invited some mutual freinds down for this one. Can't wait.

Alcohol is not an issue for me, but I'm not the only one out there coming home at 2-3am.. Many on the road that night are rookies, don't have their wings...so I'm always super heads up on NYE. People *seem* to be smarter about things these days.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  14. Frank Axtell

Frank Axtell Member

I'll be playing soft dinner jazz and then top 40 rock at The Hillsboro Club resort on Hillsboro Beach,FL. with a 5 piece band.
    http://www.hillsboroclub.org/

15. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

A "standards" dinner set...then three one hour dance sets.

Free dinner, free room, free breakfast in the morning, and a load of $$$$.

My kind of gig. :)

16. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

I'm gigging in Osaka Japan at the Billboard Live Club that used to be the Blue Note Jazz Club.

17. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

Doing an 9-11:30 set at Senor Frog's.

18. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

In Cancun?

What ever you do don't go pee in the lagoon out back!

A dude got killed by an alligator back there taking a leak!

19. Steve73

Steve73 Member

We are playing at this golf and country club that we've done for the last 3 or 4 years. Can't complain, it is in town, pays well and they let us help ourselves to everything.

20. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I'm doing two. Unfortunately both are solo gigs, which is a NYE 1st for me. Always do band gigs that night.

1st is a country club thing that ends at 10pm (WTF???!), then my usual Thursday night spot.......albeit at an inflated pay rate, and very late start.

I'm glad to be making the $$$$, but I'd much rather be working it with my boys.

Gotta love this economy.