1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Yorkers...need your opinion on a certain concert venue.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PVH5150, May 15, 2011.

1. PVH5150

PVH5150 Senior Member

I've got another week of vacation coming to me in August & I'm thinking about going to the Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh for a concert.

Can anybody give me their opinions on this place & the surrounding area? Sound/acoustics, rough idea of capacity, parking, hotels in the general area, food/beverage prices, stuff of that nature.

2. arem

arem Member

I'm not a big fan of the place so I haven't been in a long time, but in general it's a typical outdoor ampitheater, the sound is decent but it depends a lot on the band. Capacity is somewhere over 10,000. Prices are in line with any major concert venue in the NYC area: expensive. And there is no booze allowed except in VIP areas. There is pretty much nothing around it, the theater is located within Jones Beach State Park and the closest towns are pretty typical suburban strip mall towns. There's loads of parking, but the drive can be a mess from NYC during the evening rush, which is when you'd be heading to a concert out there.

Normally I'd say if you were dead set on going there you should stay in the City and take public transporatation out there, but apparently they've cancelled the bus that used to run from the Long Island Railroad station to the theater, so you'd have to find a taxi or a shuttle of some kind which sounds like a pain in the neck.

3. dangerine49

dangerine49 Member

I try to go there every summer as long as they have acts that I like. I've seen a LOT of great concerts there.

Sound is usually very good at the lower levels.

Food inside isn't great but OK and the usual ripoff pricewise. Lots of people come early and tailgate before the show.

Plenty of parking.

There are hotels on Long Island to stay, but none around the corner of the Jones Beach theater.

The only downside is that it's rain or shine, so bring your raingear. I've been going there for many years and have been lucky. Only caught in the rain two or three times and only got soaked once (at a Hanson concert for my preteen daughter!!).

4. hk45acp

hk45acp Member

it's about an hour drive out there from NYC depending on how screwed up the Long Island Expressway is.
    The sound is suited to rock, not so good with bands that have loops, samples, electronic sounds. Good (ZZ Top, The Darkness, The Stooges, Blondie) Not so good sounding (Beastie Boys, Depeche Mode, Cypress Hill)

Lots of parking but getting out of the lot is the sixth circle of Hell, one time it took me 45 mins. just to leave the lot.

Also it's a dry venue, no beer

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I'm not a fan of the place. Period.

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

watch for bird crap bombs.

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I've seen a couple of great shows there, but getting back to the city via public transportation was an absolute nightmare both times.

8. Aldo

Aldo Member

It used to be great then they "improved" it. I now call it "The Land Of No". No Smoking, No Drinking. No public transportation. If you're having a few in the parking lot, put it in a cup or you will be ticketed. Sound is much better lower than higher in the arena. Don't worry about the price of a beer 'cause you ain't getting one!

On the positive side: If having a beer is not your concern & you get a nice night under the stars it can be cool. This is a favorite venue for many (though not mine-I need a beer). Rent a car, hit the beach during the day, catch the show that night.

If you're coming to NY there are countless cool venues to go to & undoubtedly someone you'd like is playing somewhere.

9. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Getting there from NYC is 1 hour, on paper only.

In reality, it's probably closer to 2 or 3 hours. Traffic is usually horrible.

10. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

It's really an isolated area that is a pain in the ass to get to & from. I used to live on Long Island & only about 15- 20 minutes away from there (this was for several years too) & we only went once.

Then again, I'm not a fan of big venues in general, but at least when it's some place like MSG you can easily get in & out of there without a hassle. There are many better located outdoor venues in the northeast that I suspect the same tour is probably hitting & they probably have hotel options closer by as well. Just my 2 cents.

11. whatmeworry

whatmeworry Member

"it's a typical outdoor ampitheater"
    really??? how many of these typical are on the water??

"Sound is usually very good at the lower levels." - agreed, the higher you go, the sound can get pushed around by the wind if its not a still night

"Food inside isn't great but OK and the usual ripoff pricewise. Lots of people come early and tailgate before the show. " - true, and best bet

Plenty of parking. - true

Best bet, stay at the LI Marriott its about a 20 min drive - pretty straight - to the venue
    If you'd like to have a drink, bring some beers/drink of choice, and plastic cups and tailgate
    Better yet - you are on vacation, spend a late afternoon at the beach, tailgate, then spend a night under the stars at a really nice outdoor venue - watch the act, or stare out @ the water on Zachs bay.
    I love the venue and have seen a ton of amazing shows there
    If the economy was better for me, I'd check out a whole bunch of shows. These days I'll take a chair and sit outside the place to hear ( not great ) a show that I like

Go see a great show and enjoy the beach!!

12. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I haven't been to that theater, although I spent a good deal of time at the beach as a youngun.

It does however get a pretty good schedule, consistently. Case in point ... it is the closest-to-NYC Soundgarden date this summer. Call me provincial, but it's too far for a show for me, even from Brooklyn.

13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

never liked. it's outdoors, expensive, and holds way too many people (i only go to shows that are 3000 capacity or less).

they usually get the same shows as PNC Arts Center. it's in NJ, so it's got that strike against it, but it's covered and at least you can have a beer.

14. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Yeah, bad vibes there. Tailgaiting frowned upon, elements can wreck sound quality there...

15. g-fry195

g-fry195 Member

I saw Paul Simon's "Rhythm of the Saints" tour there, and it was epic.
    Beautiful night, sound was superlative (usually is with PS), and the ocean breeze made me feel like I actually was in Brazil.

YMMV.