New Zac Brown album...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by firebird1999us, Apr 30, 2015.

1. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

It's not Bro country but it's a bit poppy:dunno

I've seen them a few a times and we've got tickets for the show next week -they put on a great live show! I really enjoyed the past output and think they're a good band. Clay Cook is a tremendous talent:love:

I understand the newest album is supposed to be a bit of a departure but I'm on the second listen and still trying to warm up to it... seems to suffer from being overproduced in spots. High points for me are "Mango Tree" and the acoustic version of "Tomorrow Never Comes"... I wasn't terribly impressed with the Cornell track though. Sounds like they're attempting to merge Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, and the Black Keys with boring results....:red

Was curious if anyone else has an impression:idea

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

After two listens on Spotify, I'm glad I didn't buy the disc. I'm a huge ZBB fan, but this release try's too hard to be everything. I found no standout gems like Free, Colder Weather, Goodbye In Her Eyes or highway 20. Over produced, too dense and Zac's voice doesn't shine through much. I'll give it a few more plays, but I liked the Grohl Sessions more and it's nothing close to Uncaged.

3. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Agree 100%:red

4. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

So, I'll provide a different angle. I'm well aware of ZBB but not their catalog. I enjoy what I see on televised live performances but that's the extent of it. 30 minutes ago, I was driving into work, flipping through stations during my primary's commercial break, and heard this cool jam on the local rock station with Cornell I was rather enjoying. I used Shazam to look it up and was the new ZBB single. I'll check out the rest of the album today on Spotify. If that track is indicative of the rest of the album, I should enjoy it.

5. taez555

taez555 Member

Talk about an eclectic album. You can tell they're realllllly trying to push the envelope and be a crossover band.

The fist song sounds like Jared Leto's band Thirty Seconds to Mars, then goes into 60's Motown, then gospel, then bro-country, then big band swing, then grunge, some techno aspects, hard rock, then the album sort of settles into Country/fusion/Uncaged Part2 for the second half.

One thing I've noticed also is there seem to be a lot of reused melodies and chord progressions from the last album. ("Tomorrow Never Comes" and touches of "Bitterwsweet" are basically the same song melody and progression as "Lance's Song", "Castaway" is just "Island Song" part 2, etc"). Not sure how much of that is just songwriter style, but it's very noticeable in some places and is a bit distracting.

That being said, I've probably listened to the album about 5 or so times now, and it's definitely growing on me. I'm enjoying it more and more. Of coruse I'm definitely a bit bias considering I went to Berklee with Matt and Clay, so.... :) I'm sort of rooting for them to do well.

Definitely a well titled album though. :)

6. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

Needless to say they got screwed by the industry on that record...did it win a single award? Has to be their best release to date, period. True, that's not the point of making music, but I can level with why they'd do an album like this. They did what they thought was good and got very little out of it (besides sales of course), maybe they're trying to another flavor?

7. taez555

taez555 Member

It won the Grammy for best Country album of 2013. :)

Agreed. :)

8. JohnK24

You nailed it on your intro and outro statements.

These guys have HUGE chops and know how to entertain, but this seams like a casting of nets everywhere. I just don't have that connection to the song's emotions like on the past 3 full studio albums, they had some real gems to draw you into the lyrics and harmonies. I'm sure they'll grow even bigger from this crossover, best of luck to them, Zac and the boys seem like sincere musicians.

9. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Never really listened past what I've heard in passing, but my friends are touring with them in the horn section. Look for a bald sax player.

10. JohnK24

I'm listening again and hell, I can hear Maroon 5 doing "Beautiful Drug" (and I'm a M5 fan)

11. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

I was a bit sarcastic in saying that :sarcasm
    I sincerely felt like that album should have swept the awards though - how they didn't win "Vocal Duo/Group" or "Arrangement" or other quite applicable awards surprised me.

As far as the new record, it'll have to grow :munch

12. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

With songs like Mango Trees and Dress Blues, it's hard to call it a bad album. However, by ZBB standards, I certainly wouldn't call it good. Oh, and Beautiful Drug is an ugly depressant. What a disappointing song.