New Zoom Field Recorder

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by A440, Sep 28, 2006.

1. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

2. g-nem

g-nem Member

Ummm. . . that is very cool. Field recorder, rehearsal, 4-track. nice. You could record gigs stereo, plus with a direct feed from the guitar and bass and do little mix tweaks at home. I like the idea a lot. Priced at $299.

I'm waiting for the korg kaoss pad kp3 to come out currently, but I'll keep the zoom on my list;)

3. e-z

e-z Member

Pretty cool. I have the Edirol R-09 and the zoom does more stuff at a lower price. For me though, the Edirol does what I need and is very simple to operate.

4. Carlier

Carlier Member

That looks pretty useful, especially as it functions as an A/D coverter with Cubase LE. There's no mention of a metronome, which is crucial, imho. Also, it must be a USB 1.1 connection, as they don't say specifically that it's USB2.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

never had anything by zoom but i'm not a big samson fan. is zoom good quality and reliable?

6. Carlier

Carlier Member

oh, I read the pdf, and it does have a metronome.

7. g-nem

g-nem Member

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a metronome in a field recorder?

8. Carlier

Carlier Member

I like recording to a click track, generally, because of the freedom it gives you later on with midi. I'd be using a device like this to record vocals and guitars in quiet places (I live with other people, so my recording environment is rarely noise-free). When I then import the recorded tracks into Cubase, I should be able to add Groove Agent drums etc. Listen to me, I'm talking as if I already own the thing!

9. g-nem

g-nem Member

OK- I guess I never figured you'd use this to record tracks. One of the beauties of technology is finding ways to use it other than the original purpose! I'd be a little concerned that the metronome might not be beat accurate enough to just import something you recorded at 120 bpm into your daw, but I guess there's no reason it wouldn't be.

10. Carlier

Carlier Member

Yes, you have a point. The only way to find out I guess is to try it. But my thinking is that 120 bpm is going to be the same everywhere when it's digital, just like seconds on a clock, right? This used to be a problem with tape, but I would hope that it wouldn't be digitally.

11. g-nem

g-nem Member

Well, there's only one way to find out for sure, right? Good thing there's such a thing as a return policy if you need it;)

12. e-z

e-z Member

I don't have a problem with the noise at all. Granted I've used it mostly to record voices and some sound effects. The limited music recording I have done sounded fine.

13. sinner

sinner Member

I just got an email from music123 that the new Zoom was shipping, so I took the bait and ordered one up.

I read through the specs and like that you can use your own mics (or the built-in one), plus plug your guitar directly in using the XLR1/4 ins and use their amp modelers.

Anyone have the Zoom yet and can comment about that? I may be pleasantly surprised but I really want the ability to record my song ideas on the fly, then overdub another track if I want and finally dump it all into the PC and Cubase. Currently I'm still using an ancient little cassette desk, left on the couch to be handy to flick on when a nice idea comes up.

14. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Looks cool but no hard drive :(

I guess it depends on how it stores the files. But SD disks don't hold a lot of info...

15. sinner

sinner Member

It comes with the 128meg storage but will hold a 2gig memory card.

"The H4 records on to Secure Digital (SD) media, a 128MB SD Card is included with the unit. With a 2GB SD Memory card, the H4 provides up to 380 minutes of recording in 16-bit mode (CD Quality), and 34 hours in MP3 stereo mode. And to move your recordings to a PC or Mac, the H4 includes a USB mass-storage..."

So, if you don't have a computer to dump the memory and free up space, just keep buying them memory cards and file them away safely.

16. emjee

emjee Member

VERY cool looking field recorder! Thanks for the heads up. Sony has a model out at $2000 that has the same design as the zoom, but of course
    many, many more features.
    Being a guitar teacher, if I bought one of these Zoom recorders, would I be able to record our lesson and then burn it to a CD and give it to the student before they leave?

Thanks

Matt

17. sinner

sinner Member

Just got the Zoom recorder.

Emjee--you can indeed record your lesson, hook up to your DAW via USB and use either your own installed music software or the "free" bundled Cubase LE that comes with the Zoom to burn your CD to give your student.

But, I thinking I'm sending the Zoom back: it has lots of really nice features, like amp modeling, direct 1/4 inch inputs for your guitar, and the handy USB port to use with your computer as an audio interface for your guitar to pc, but no built-in speakers to monitor or playback what you recorded. You need to use headphones (mini-plug input) or line out (again mini-plug) to your own speaker or playback system.

Not a big deal, but I wanted a quck easy little recording/playback device to sit on the couch by me when I make up little song ideas. I need the ability to record on the fly and rewind, playback. All from a small space. The Zoom is indeed high quality, very small, but to hook up to my playback system kind of defeats the purpose for me. The other features of course far surpase the little cassette deck I use, but I still got the DAW for all those needs. I may miss the audio interface features...

18. KLB

KLB Member

[​IMG]

Looks good to me!

19. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Could Zoom actually build two speakers into a unit that small that would sound any good at all? It seems to me that a headphone out is going to give you much better sound than any tiny pair of speakers could provide. With any decent speakers, the unit would be much larger. I think it's a pretty good trade-off, but YMMV.

20. g-nem

g-nem Member

I agree with robal- I think you're much better off using headphones to monitor for a bunch of reasons. I have a hard time believing THAT would be a deal breaker on this thing. Something you might try if it really bugs you is getting a really small passive speaker that runs off of the headphone output. There are a bunch of those made for ipods- try this one- will work with anything with a headphone out jack.