Newb Jazzmaster Bridge Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sjwieczorkow, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

Looks like just a version of the tremolo unit with a claw type string holder instead of the through hole...which is weird because I've never heard of people complaining about the tremolo unit itself as it functions amazingly, its the bridge that causes problems.

Scheckenbacker and sjwieczorkow like this.
  2. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

As has been said, Mustang or Modifed Mustang bridge + shim the neck a bit, and heavier strings help too (At least 10's).

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  3. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I own three Jazzmaster’s all are stock w/ different bridges. Mustang,
    Mastery, and Staytrem. 52-10 gauge strings. 62 Jazzmaster 66 Jazzmaster and a Custom shop Jazzmaster w/ Novak pickups.
    All the guitars play and sound like a Jazzmaster should ... No tuning issues and all three play great!

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  4. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Good choice. The offset vibrato is my favorite vibrato system.

Yes, saddle grooves are neither wide enough and the strings slip around. This makes intonation a moving target and string positioning accurate within millimeters. Filing is not a good solution IME.

The saddle height screws rattle out. It's not fun when your guitar goes down during a show because some part resonated free onto the dark stage floor. And I have cut myself up pretty badly on those things coming apart. Like with saddle grooves, intonation and staying in tune is a moving target.

There are a ton of moving parts. They buzz and rattle and there isn't good energy transfer. Meh. Although Jazzmasters are my favorite Fender guitar, the bridge has been the source of more problems than everything else about the guitar (combined.) And I play Jaguars. Loctite (or whatever) isn't a good solution. I need the ability to set my guitar up a few times per year.

It was designed to rock, yes.

Yup. Again, intonation and staying in tune is a moving target. Some people like the original bridge and all of its quirks and claim it's problem free, but that's not my experience playing offsets for over 20 years. And yeah, I used some ridiculously large strings back in the day.

Perhaps funny as well is that some shops don't even set up Jazzmasters correctly, so that the bridge rocks freely. I received a Jazzmaster from a shop that's well-known around here for higher end Jazzmaster sales and it was set up so that it could only rock one direction. So you play and after the song you used the vibrato on, you would need to push the bridge all the way back to get the intonation right. Because it did slip.

StayTrem offers the bridge in rocking and non-rocking. I recommend non-rocking. But again, some people like it to rock. IDK why StayTrem isn't exporting to the US anymore; maybe you can ask somebody in the UK or EU to send you one? I saw you play with a wound 3rd, so Mastery is not a great solution for you. For anybody that plays 3 wound and 3 plain I recommend Mastery bridge with Mastery thimbles. It's problem-free and I prefer the sound of the Mastery over the StayTrem. You may want to consider just using a plain third and Mastery bridge -- problem solved.

I'll also add that you shouldn't need to shim a new/modern Fender. It's already angled slightly. I bought my AVRI Jaguar used. It came with a shim and the sound and playability was poor. I've owned perhaps 6 Fender offsets which were made this millennium; none needed a shim.

Also, other bridges (eg Mustang or TOM) aren't necessarily great solutions because the string spacing and radius may not match your guitar. That influences playability and to a lesser extent, sound.

I use Mastery bridges in all my offsets. I find no need for a different vibrato system or a buzz stop. I do think the Mastery vibrato is slightly better, but not worth replacing on all of my offsets. Here it is on one Jazzmaster:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    sjwieczorkow likes this.
  5. TrueFifth

TrueFifth Member

I'm looking for a Roller Bridge suitable for Jaguars 7.25" fretboards and so far haven't found any.

I wrote to several manufacturers if they could make one, and tried to sell the potential by explaining that if you made one with roller saddles adjustable both in height and distance, so that you could adjust string height for any radius and intonate each string saddle individually, you would have a bridge that could be sold to many different types of guitars as Jaguars, Jazzmasters and many Gibson models.

I got a positive reply from Peter Borowski of ABM stating it might be something they could work on in 2020 - perhaps if more people requested this, it could become a reality... (please try info @ abm-guitarparts dot de )

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  6. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Oy vey. I was riled up for the 2018 Parallel Universe Jaguar Strat (don’t judge) but didn’t realize so much moveable bridge insanity was afoot and I do always use a wound third which somehow rules out the one upgrade I’d have happily made (Mastery) so this means no joy. Sad me.
    [​IMG]

7. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

If you use the trem, do yourself a favour and have a regular floating bridge. There’s a thing with the intonation during use that has an otherworldly beauty to it, like putting a finger on a tape.

8. flume

I was looking forward to that style trem and the new voice of 3 Jaguar pickups but sounds like the bridge is just a nightmare. YouTube videos are just one idiot after another claiming to have it sussed and I’m saturated.

Sadness Pile in a Failure Bowl.

Zenyatta Mondatta likes this.
  9. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

Upvote for Patton Oswalt reference

flume likes this.
  10. flume

Thanks. I’d much rather have someone tell me they have it solved but am getting bad vibes all up in me.

11. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

If you want a bridge with better slots, Mustang bridge is an easy answer. If you don't want it to rock, wrap the posts in tape. Works pretty well.

flume likes this.
  12. flume

Saw that. Looked like a fair “home remedy”. I’d be game to drop some coin but the Mastery still rocks back and forth ?

13. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

The mastery bridge doesn't rock. Good alternative, but pricey

flume likes this.
  14. flume

Not an issue. I want Jaguar sounds without the insanity of bridges and whatnot falling apart. And intonation is key for me. Close intervals up the neck. So— game back on!

Zenyatta Mondatta likes this.
  15. eigentone

Yup. Mastery is definitely the way to go IMO. No rocking. If you also buy the Mastery thimbles, you can get an even tighter fit than with the stock thimbles. I do recommend that.

The Mastery increases energy transfer to the body and sustain. So it changes the sound some, but it's a good sound. Not quite as plinky and more lower harmonics. If you really want a vintage accurate sound then you may want to stick with a vintage style bridge.

The Mastery uses 2 fully adjustable saddles. Unless you play with a wound third, you should be able to get intonation extremely close. I am fussy about intonation and the Mastery has been great on every Offset and Ric I have installed it on.

16. flume

This is very helpful- thank you. I will certainly get their thimbles and anything else that does just what you say: lock it down tight for maximum resonance. What’s throwing me off is that it seems like people say a wound third is not working? I’d really have to find a solution for that. Hope?

eigentone likes this.
  17. eigentone

StayTrem offered a non-rocking bridge with individually intonable saddles. Finding or ordering one may prove very challenging. I sold mine BTW.

18. flume

The website for Mastery is bewildering. I don’t want to miss anything. Will need them to guide me and be complete.

19. flume

And what is this nonsense about leaving the arm in and just forcing the card lid shut ?

that does not vibe with me

20. eigentone

For the Jaguar Strat? Possibly the M1-Kit. I could probably guess if I could see under the bridge. To be sure you get the right part, it would probably be best if you contacted Mastery's support for that specific guitar.