newb needs Vibe help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stephen0351, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Stephen0351

Stephen0351 Supporting Member

I want to get my first vibe. A small pedalboard size pedal. Easy to use. (less is more to me) I was looking at the Jetter “the Vibe”, only 2 knobs! But since I know nothing about vibes Im asking the vets here for advice. Im just looking for a little more Jimi sounds to go with the fuzz and wah.
    Can I get some advice?
    thanks all

2. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe is an easy & fairly cheap entrance into the photocell vibe party.....

they are all a like different — you’ll just need to find what you like in your rig.

Stephen0351 likes this.
  3. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

I’m thinking about a micro vibe myself for grab and go, it’s the only photocell vibe I know of that runs on a 9v battery. Supposedly they sound darker with a power supply so something to think about. I have the 5 knob Vibronaut on my board and I would recommend that over anything in its price range for its tone, size, and power requirements. But you’re looking for something easy to use and to get the most out of the Vibronaut the internal trimmers need to be adjusted to taste, they’re interactive and can be tricky to dial in. I think the micro vibe would be a good start but definitely consider a Vibronaut.

Stephen0351 likes this.
  4. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

I can give you several great starter vibes:

Danelectro Chicken Salad, maybe $50.00 on eBay new if you’re lucky. Has the right bulb set up, too.

Digitech Ventura Vibe - you can find them on sale for $50.00 new lately. I just picked up a second VV.

Over on the Lovepedal Custom shop page Sean does what we call “SNS”, and you can pick up the best vibe you’ll ever need for $119.00 if Sean’s feeling good about life.

Animals Pedal Car Crush - just got one for Christmas and I absolutely love it. $120.00, I think.

NUX Monterey - like $80.00 anywhere.

The good stuff starts at around $225.00 to $250.00, you can get a JHS Unicorn for around $250.00, great pedal.

Check out the vids for these boxes and see what you think.

Best,

Dave...

5. Stephen0351

6. JGonzalez

JGonzalez Member

If there is even a slight chance you may become obsessive about finding the "right" vibe, I'd at least consider the DryBell Vibe Machine

Buy once, cry once is the philosophy here

TheWayfarer84 and Stephen0351 like this.
  7. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Keep looking and listening and don’t rush into it.

I’ve had several vibe pedals and they can really sound quite different and be disappointing.

Listen to some of the better ones for comparison to see what you prefer:
    Drybell
    Fulltone
    Jam

-bEn r.

Laurence likes this.
  8. dbbude

dbbude Member

A lot of these pedals advertise both chorus and vibe and part of this decision will be what you are looking for. A good vibe pedal will have a photocell in it which will increase the price (see recs for Jam, Drybell, etc above).

I bought the MXR Univibe and the Julia in the past. Julia does a great Chorus and Rotary sound but doesn't really do a Vibe sound.

I recently got the Retrovibe from Jam and this is does a great Vibe tone. What I have heard of the Drybell and Fulltone are similar too.

9. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Do you want a more authentic version or one that sort of gets you in the territory? My advice is to skip the mediocre "sort of a univibe" and get a good clone of the circuit. Have you considered something that does not sit on your board? If so...the Fulltone Mini Deja vibe 3 (blue one) is pretty damn good one and the enclosure is heavy....it can sit on the floor next to your board! 150.00-175.00 used is pretty cheap for a decent Univibe clone.
    Lots of other good choices if you are OK with using 5-6 inches of board space.

starbelly and ChampReverb like this.
  10. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

Isn't there a hundred vibe threads here that covered this already?

11. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Digital is heresy in the univibe world, but the best cheap vibe is on the ZOOM MS70CDR. It seriously competes with my Foxrox Aquavibe.

oildrops and Stephen0351 like this.
  12. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

My fav vibe is the old mxr.

I have The Depths from EQD
    Its nice but i like the mxr better

Stephen0351 likes this.
  13. outdoorpja

outdoorpja Supporting Member

not a photocell, but great vibe-y tones is Lovepedal Pickle Vibe. mini enclosure, one knob on top for speed. internal adjustment for volume. love mine.

Stephen0351 likes this.
  14. monkeybrains

monkeybrains Member

+1 I love the pickle vibe too.

outdoorpja and Stephen0351 like this.
  15. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

The chorus and vibrato from a univibe is significantly different from a chorus pedal. That's why the MXR sounds different from the Julia.

Think of the original Shin-Ei Univibe as a proto-phase pedal. Nothing like it really existed on the market. The terms "chorus" and "vibrato" as Shin-Ei used them meant "mix" and "kill dry". But it's a phase pedal. And that lineage is what the Jam, Drybell, and MXR are based on.

The Julia is a chorus pedal in the Roland/BOSS lineage. It's a very short delay. So yes, the mix knob allows you to go from completely dry to somewhere in the middle (chorus) to completely wet (vibrato). But how those sounds are achieved happens very differently. So they're not comparable.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    J-Flanders and Stephen0351 like this.
  16. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Drybell or Jam and be done. Buy used and you won’t lose much flipping it should you decide a vibe isn’t what you wanted.

Stephen0351 likes this.
  17. Stephen0351

thanks again all

outdoorpja likes this.
  18. oildrops

oildrops Member

Have you compared the Zoom to the Ventura? I've been on a vibe hunt lately, and would like to stay under $150.

19. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

I’ve casually been on the “smaller format” univibe market. Currently eyeing the mini Deja Vibe and the JHS Unicorn. Maybe something will be unveiled at NAMM?

20. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Not directly. The only time I played the Ventura was at the Brooklyn pedal exhibit and it wasn't the best venue. I thought the Ventura was just ok. Also, I wanted to use it for both univibe and rotary and I like them in two different places in my signal chain.

Regarding the Zoom, I didn't buy it with the intent of using it for univibe or rotary. And while the rotary sounds good, it doesn't go fast enough for me. The univibe is really close though. I'm not sure I could tell the difference without knowing which one was being used. And then you have a hundred something other effects.

jgyn and oildrops like this.