Newb Questions re: TonePort/POD

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by TGwaH, May 26, 2008.

1. TGwaH

TGwaH Member

I've just started to re-read the April edition of Guitar Techniques as well as the March edition of Total Guitar. The April GT is all about practicing, while the TG has an article on setting up a home studio. I mention GT only because the editors note makes mention of setting up a POD for practicing. This tickled my fancy for two reasons a.) I need to set up a better practice regimine, and b.) I'm moving to an apartment in a couple of weeks, and I won't be able to give my amp the workout it needs or deserves.

To that end, I've been thinking about the Line 6 line of products for home recording and practicing. Right now, I'm leaning towards the TonePort end of things because it appears to be cheaper. Am I correct in presuming that the TonePort and your computer do what a POD can do alone in regards to tone etc.? If that is the case, then the TonePort would be ideal to my needs. However, where I get bogged down on the Line 6 website is in regards to the differences in products.

If I just want to be able to record my practice sessions -- I can evaluate myself far better when something is coming at me, rather than when it's going away from me, if that makes any sense -- and maybe record an idea or two, would I be better served by the GX or the UX1? Is the extra $40 in price worth it to get the UX1 rather than the GX? Furthermore, am I able to record using the GearBox software, or is some third party application needed? If the 3rd party app is needed, would something as simple as Audacity suffice?

My apologies with these questions, I'm sure you've heard them all a thousand times, but apparently my googlefu isn't working tonight, and I couldn't turn up any threads in this regard.

2. stump

stump Member

Hi. I have the Toneport UX1 and XT Live. They are both excellent practice and quiet recording tools. Based on your requirements the Toneport UX2 would probably be best. It and the UX1 comes bundled with Ableton recording software and works great. I've also used other third party recording software with excellent results. The UX2 has more options like Phantom power and VU meters which is why I suggest it. If you need something portable that can be used live then I recommend the XT Live or X3. Make sure that you have at least a Gig of RAM and pretty decent processor in your PC. I found that Windows XP works better than Vista as Vista hogs a lot of power and memory as well as possible driver issues. I've also run out of the UX1 and XT Live to powered studio monitors and PA for nice results. I don't think that either unit sounds good through a guitar amp though. Hope this helps.

3. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

I have the Toneport UX-2 and it works great for recording. The Gearbox software is a lot of fun and has some great sounds but you do have to tweak the settings...I've found very few of the canned ones are good without some adjustments (although they are a good starting point). Also when you change guitars you may have to tweak some more...no biggie just be aware of it going in, it's actually pretty realistic in that sense.

It works fine with Audacity or the included Ableton Live, I've used both but am using Sonar now. I use it as the sound card for my recording software using ASIO and everything is directed to a couple of monitors that come off the back of the Toneport. This leaves the existing speaker config intact for normal computer use but you can also use the Toneport as your default sound card if desired.

Here's a good review that Craig Anderton did over on Harmony Central awhile back...

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/reviews/line6_ux2/

-Mark

4. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

Does the version of Ableton live that comes with the UX2 allow you to save your recordings? I read somewhere you have to buy the full upgrade from Ableton if you want to save your work. That seems strange to me? Am i misinformed?

5. stump

stump Member

Yes it does but you're limited to 4 tracks I believe. I use Acid Pro, Cakewalk and Soundforge mostly. You can get other software for short money otherwise.

6. TGwaH

TGwaH Member

I finally made the leap, and after much consulting and research, I decided to go with the UX2. I've not had the chance to give it a work out yet as I'm waiting to upgrade the RAM in my computer, it's merely hovering at the minimum right now.

I'm thinking of going with Reaper as it has a tiny footprint, and it is all kinds of the free.

7. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I use a UX-2 as my soundcard and for laying down tracks with Gear Box. I tried the Ableton route and then found Reaper which does everything I need it to. Reaper isn't free, but it also isn't expensive. This combination is wonderful for my little home studio. I record bass, v-drums, guitar, keys and vocals with this setup and I don't need anything more than this. Have fun!

8. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

I use the UX-1 and it's great. My singer uses one as well and it's SO convenient for getting a good vocal sound.

9. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

UX-1 here too. It's been a godsend for demos.