Newb: Tone pot cutting out at high settings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Alpione, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Hey all - new at working on my electrics, so bear with me...

PRS SE 245. When the neck pickup tone control is set to anywhere between about 8 and 10, the treble completely drops out like I've got it set to 1 or 2. Need to swap out that pot or is there something else I can check.

Thanks.

2. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

What you describe would be very hard for a pot to cause, as it would require a "shorting" failure, which pots just don't do. They fail open, either intermittently or permanently, which would present the opposite symptoms. The only other way I can think of the pot causing that would be if the mounting nut is loose so the entire pot body physically turns internally, allowing one of the lugs to short against something else. Open the control cavity cover and be sure the pots are all solidly mounted, and that there are no bare ground wires/shields in close proximity to signal carrying lines.

Alpione likes this.
  3. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

This happens when the wiper gets twisted/turned internally in a way that it goes over the limit and back to the lowest setting before the shaft hits the mechanical stop point.

It can happen for many reasons, but the pot is damaged and easiest fix is just getting a new one. No big deal, don't worry too much about it. It's a 10 minute job you can do yourself. If you want to check it out, open it before discarding it so you can see what actually happened. You should take advantage of these chances if you're learning.

Lobotomie and Alpione like this.
  4. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Makes perfect sense. Thanks Juan.

I'm putting a new bridge pickup in there too so might as well do both at the same time. I know they sell OEM pots from PRS for these. I have to decide whether it's worth it to get an upgraded set which would need reaming of the holes. For my first try, I may just get the oems.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Juan Wayne likes this.
  5. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

No problem! I'm definitely one for the "it ain't yers til ya piss on it" philosophy, but drilling wood unless completely unavoidable is pretty much where I draw the line, so personally, I'd go for the OEMs or a similarly threaded one, unless they're ****** ones to begin with.

I'm actually having a hard time dealing with the crappy pots on my Cort Sunset for the same reason. Everything but the pots is absolutely stellar in that guitar, but in order to fit decent pots I have no choice but drilling. I'm just waiting for one of them to die an awful death.