Newbie 18 watt build question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by grizdeluxe, Feb 15, 2012.

1. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

I'm just starting my Triode Electronics 18 watt TMB build. I noticed that all of the wire they sent was cloth push back solid core. Is this acceptable or would I benefit from an upgrade of any kind? TIA

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Acceptable for a home build,but teflon wire is better for beginners cause it is really hard to burn through and believe me,beginners burn lots of wires!
    The cloth stuff is good if you don't fray the ends too much.

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Cloth is "vintage correct".. but I personally hate it!

I would argue teflon is "better for everyone", as long as you have a good wire stripper (don't try to use plain cutters - trust me on this!)

4. Cyg_1963

Cyg_1963 Member

Get automatic wire strippers.
    BEST money I've ever spent...except maybe a good soldering station.
    Not all cloth covered is push-back.
    I actually collect old wire...the cloth covered with an internal shield is my favorite.

5. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Marshall never used cloth wire,only Fender and other American amps.The 18 watt never used cloth.
    All cloth wire is not created equal!!!! The Mojotone and generic stuff is rather crappy as it frays easily.The stuff Traynor used to use is super heavy duty.

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Hard to burn through cloth wire. I actually like cloth over everything else, but it is all personal preference in a DIY build.

7. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

ok,but what kind do you use?I hate the Mojotone stuff.I had some a few yesrs back that was stellar good but I can't remember where to get it anymore.

8. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

I'll stick with the cloth. I had my Matco dealer FIL hook me up with a nice Weller station and auto strippers. I've been self-employed the last 20 years of my life so I'm just taking this build like I would approach any job I work on. Take my time and make sure its right the first time. That's the plan anyway. :) Thanks again.

9. redmax61

redmax61 Member

10. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I've never seen teflon jacketed wire with cloth over top.Teflon is hard to strip even with good strippers like yours.If it's easy it isn't teflon jacket.
    I have two different high-end automatic strippers and they still have trouble stripping teflon wire.I have to squeeze them to get the cutters to actually cut the teflon.

11. redmax61

redmax61 Member

I went back to the Watts Audio website and looked at the stuff I've been using. It's called "Modern insulation" with lacquered cotton braid. If it's not teflon, I'm not too worried about it. It's nice stuff to work with.

12. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

We tried the Mojo stuff and found it was pretty poor quality. Ended up finding the original wire supplier to Fender when we were resurrecting the White Higher Fidelity amp. They are still in business. Have been for 80 years. Its identical to the stuff Fender used.

13. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Care to share that suppliers name?

14. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Doug Hoffman sells good quality Cloth, Push-Back wire.
    Mojo should be shot if they are still selling that "Cloth" covered wire.
    Best

15. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Hoffman is great for the home builder,but I want huge quantities and I can't see where his wire is any different from Mojo's.

I stand corrected: Hoffamn has the GOOd cloth wire at very reasonable prices.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  16. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

Yeah the Hoffman wire looks much more robust than the stuff i have. It seems to cut clean with my wire strippers so i'm using it. Next project I'll use better wire.