Newbie ES 335 Question: What can I use to clean it?

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
Do I have to be careful of the cleaners I use? I use Dunlop guitar polish for my Delexe Tele, can I use that for the 335?

texasdw

Platinum Supporting Member
Virtuoso is great for nitrocellulose. Wouldn't use the Dunlop though.

Bazaboy33

Silver Supporting Member
Just steer clear of the StewMac Preservation Polish and you should be fine... ;-)

Yamaha 1421

Zymol Cleaner/Wax is the best I have ever used and I have tried them all!.............. lusterous shine. Bought a old Black 70s nitro finished guitar with grime and mold and well.......... everything on the finish. Now..............perfect! Looks like a mirror! Use only a tiny amount on a multifiber cloth for cleaning and polishing and you won't believe your eyes! A bottle will last you forever.

woodbury

I also recommend Virtuoso but Dunlop and Gibson didn't cause any issues on my previous ES-335 and other nitro guitars either.

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
I'd start with a belt sander to be sure.

But, Gibson or Virtuoso might also work.

murkat

I like sea otters
to clean a lacquer nitro finish~ naphtha
to polish a lacquer nitro finish~ Zymol does a very nice job.

73Fender

Just steer clear of the StewMac Preservation Polish and you should be fine... ;-)
Does that stuff still smell really badly? I bought it once and literally tossed it in the garbage when I caught a whiff.

For the op, Virtuosso Cleaner and Polish is very good. I like it for nitro.
Was reading a thread on the Les Paul forum and some of those guys were recommending Zymol, here as well..available on Amazon.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/308527-virtuoso-guitar-polish.html

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not so careful about my 335, but for a nitro finished acoustic I have, I'm cautious. So far all I use is a micro fiber cloth, like you'd use to clean eyeglasses. Blow away any dust and clean it easily.

Trending Topics