Newbie Garageband query.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tonepolice, Jan 10, 2008.

1. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    I recently purchased a new Apple Laptop the 13 inch Macbook. It comes with Garageband 08. I am primarily a guitar player. Now I believe I need some kind of a USB interface to plug my electric guitars to my Macbook. What is the best USB interface for this purpose (Guitar oriented). Not too high end expensive stuff but not crap cheapos either. Thanks for the help.

2. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Line 6 tone port is compatible but In all honestly I use a usb mic in front of a amp . I have the sampson model which is about $70 or buy a tone port for a little more.

3. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

The Line 6 Toneport will hook right into it, over USB. That's what I've been using.

4. in a little row

in a little row Member

One idea is the griffin iMic...they go for about $20, let you plug in a mono or stereo source to USB...once you get used to using the software, THEN invest in a interface...

j

5. Orren

Orren Member

Do you have an amp? Do you want to record it? If you do, you'll need a USB audio interface with a microphone preamp, and you'll need a microphone. Something by M-Audio and a cheap mic is fine to start with. You'll be able to find some options for around $200 or so.

Do you just want to plug your guitar in and use GarageBand '08 amp models? Then you can get just a USB audio interface with a "Hi-Z" input for a guitar. The Line 6 TonePort as mentioned would work fine, and give you more guitar amp simulations to use.

Orren

6. onemind

onemind Member

Blue Snowball to mic an amp. Works like a charm.

7. doubleneck

doubleneck Member

Made you first CD with garageband and M-audio fastrack pro. Works very well.
    Steve

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Have any of you guys actually used garage band? :messedup

If you have, you apparently missed the fact that it has amp models built in. All you actually need is a 1/8" adapter so you can plug your guitar into the mic jack. Before someone poo poos it (but TGPers never diss things they haven't heard), give it a shot. The results might surprise you. Worst comes to worst, you're out about three bucks for the adapter.

When I want to mic my amps, I use a Presonus 1394 firewire interface.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

To get a proper signal, unless Apple has added a pre to the audio input, you need some sort of interface. If there's no preamp on the MacBook, then that is a line in, not an instrument level in. A few years ago, I think I heard the iMac had a built in preamp. Without a preamp, you won't get a full signal. If you have a mixer or some sort of portostudio device, or even a line out from your amp, you can use that to get the line level signal.
    The amp sims sound OK, but you have to be patient (I'm not) and tweak a lot to get the sound you want. At first, I opted for a Tascam US-122 and my SM57. After moving to Logic from GarageBand, I now use a Vox ToneLab, but still go into the Tascam as an interface.

10. JPF

JPF Member

I've been using a Boss GS10 straight into my Powerbook's input, and multitracking to my heart's content using Garageband. It's not a viable solution for recording a band live, but it works beautifully to put down different guitar tracks amidst loops and GB software instrument tracks.

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

I do, and I use the M-Audio Firewire Solo.

Don't get a USB interface, that's too old and weak. Since you have a Mac now, go Firewire...it's MUCH faster. You don't want latency. There may be some that argue USB2 is faster, but that's only in theory. Firewire 400 is fast, but the almighty Firewire 800 is tops in any book.

12. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    Thanks for all the replies. Will check out both M audio Firewall and the Line6 toneport.