newbie here; delay suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kidd36, Feb 21, 2008.

1. kidd36

kidd36 Member

I know there have been shootouts about delays, but ya read this and that, and NONE seem to be quite right...I like analog, but can see digital applications as well. But if ya go with for example Eventide Timefactor ya rely on too much 'computer risk' as it's just so digitally based.

I do own an old MXR analog delay (green box, 3knobs, ac plug) but no tbp, etc although of course some righteous delay.

SO I want to get something modern enough, yet vintage enough.

And then there's the tap issue, 'Edge' type of delays, ability to eq the repeats, it never ends.

SO would a Quciksliver (Blackbox) be such a bad idea and forget the tap although I THINK I could plug in an expression pedal...?

Confused as hell!

:jo

2. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

First off...WELCOME to the geek page! Glad to have you aboard. My fave delay pedal is the Guyatone MD3. Got rid of my DD-3 because the MD was louder and cleaner. That being said, it won't suit your needs. The best pedal out there for achieving that Edge tone is the Line 6 Delay Modeler. It does everything. Good clean sounding unit. Look at all the pro's who have them on their boards. I've used one, and although it was too sophisticated for my needs, I can tell you that it's a great unit and does the tap-tempo as well as any other on the market. That's my story, and I'm stickin to it. Good Luck my friend!!!!

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

The coolest delay I have had lately is the Digilog by Freakshow. There is nothing too fancy to it but it's killer.

4. tonecrazy

tonecrazy Supporting Member

I like the re-20 a bunch. Modern abilities with vintage tone.

5. burner

burner Member

I've always been partial to the Ibanez analogs...AD-9, AD80, etc.
    I also like the Boss DM2 and DM3
    As elroostars mentioned, the Guyatone MD3 is a great delay, in fact I like them better than pretty much anything else on the market except for the ones I mentioned above.
    Frankly,I have no use for anything that offers 'more' than the old stompbox analogs.I huess it all depends on your playing style and type of music you're into.I've mainly used the delay for a slapback echo which is probably why the old ones are good enough for me.
    Since I've started playing and retooling again I don't yet have a delay and was considering just going the MD3 route but I ended up pulling the trigger on an old AD-80 tonight.
    They just reissued the little green MXR delay like yours so it's obviously a popular choice.(although not a direct copy)
    Again, I guess it really boils down to what you want out of your delay.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with any Boss digital delay, and the DD-20 would do what you are asking. The Line6 DL4 is also very good, and has 3 on-hand presets and tap-tempo. I actually ditched mine in favor of a time Factor though - it has better sound quality, more control over settings, and you can tap tempo to any note subdivision you want - dotted 8ths for "Edge" repeats, and whatever else you want.

If you use a lot of delay I would recommend having a decent Digital delay with tap tempo, and a decent analog delay for the warmer spacier sounds. With those two, you will have pretty much all the sounds you could ever need.

7. kidd36

kidd36 Member

what may i ask is a re-20?...thanks much!
    is the freakshow noisy? heckuva hum on the videos!

would a quicksilver work with a tap looped in...i like the 2 delays seemingly at your footswitch

aren't there some issues with the Eventide...

MORE confused..ahhhhhhh

hate to have spots used upfor an analog, and a digital on my board.

thanks everyone

ps i play with in Steel Mill with Vini Lopez on drums; we are Bruce Springsteen pre-E Street band playing his unreleased older material...we're up on all i-net stores. Vini is his first drummer...

8. Iversen

Iversen Member

I have a Boss DM-2 and a T-Rex Replica. For all the hype the DM-2 sees, it doesn't do anything I can't do with the Replica, except for self oscillation (and the noise), but I'm a guitar player, not a shoe gazing knob twister... :cool:

9. jpervin

jpervin Member

I just got an Ibanez DE-7 off the emporium. While the delay setting is ok, the echo setting is fabulous! Warm repeats, quiet and doesn't suck tone.

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

I don't think the QUicksilver is what you want, it's big feature is modulated delays, and it won't do tap tempo as far as I know. The RE-20 is a digital version of the old Roland Space Echo (tape) and it sounds pretty cool if you like old school echo and dub type of sounds. If tap tempo is important then you need to look at other stuff, if analog tone is important then you need to look at those. The delay you have now, you could just put a bypass switch in it. Figure out what's most important and then shop around.