newbie needs a keyboard

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by frijoleghost, Sep 17, 2019.

1. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

hi folks,

i'm a guitar player, but i'm thinking of acquiring a portable keyboard in order to teach myself a bit of piano (ok, i'll take lessons if you make me)...anyway i'm moving from one country to another so i want to get something, i don't know, lightweight and portable and useful, and i don't really know where to start...

suggestions? thanks!!!

2. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Following... looking at mini keyboard options to still have a full octave to plink on, but save space with a new baby.

3. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

The Roland Go Keys is a great keyboard. Weights 8 pounds. Key size and action is very good. Sounds are very good. Lots of options. Easy to navigate. I am a keyboard player with high end gear and wanted something to play outside at home and to take to a friend's house who plays acoustic guitar. Very satisfied with the quality of this keyboard.

4. JPrisco

JPrisco Member

Anything will work. Literally anything with full-size keys, so you can learn proper technique.
    I suggest 49 to 61 keys as reasonably portable without being too limited.
    "Lightweight" will not equal anything weighted, so forget that for now. A Casio will do -- you might find one in a thrift store. The Go:Keys suggested above looks very good, if you want to spend $319

5. mojotele65

mojotele65 Supporting Member

Do you have an Ipad? if so, grab a nice midi controller, camera connection kit and some great soft synths for the ipad.

6. stevel

stevel Member

After our Roland drum kit pad suddenly stopped working today with only about 2 hours of play time on it (if that), I would recommend anything but Roland.

Did I mention all of the Roland LCD screens that no longer work (where the Yamahas the same age still do). Or the problems people are having with the mod/pitch bend lever?

I think staying away from Roland at this point is probably a good idea.

7. JPrisco

JPrisco Member

Hm, I don't think that's a widespread issue. I have three older Rolands (D-50, JP-8080, Juno-D); all bought in the last couple years, and all still working great (including the displays).

Meanwhile, the one keyboard known to have a failing LCD is the Yamaha AN1x. I wouldn't let that keep me from buying one though (at the right price).

I'm not biased for one brand or the other -- my Yamaha MX61 is probably the keyboard I have used most often in band situations -- it's useful for Hammond organ and piano sounds, also strings and choirs, and I used the synth sound for Cars songs. I wouldn't say I love it, but maybe I should!