• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Newbie needs help!

MrEma93

Hello guys!

This is my first post on this forum. My name is Luca, I'm from Italy! I'm a self-taught acoustic guitar player and I'm approaching the pedal-board world. I'm a big fan of The Tallest Man On Earth, I really love his sound!

My dream is to start building, brick by brick, a pedalboard like his one (I'm a Strymon's fan too). I hope you can help me!

(sorry guys but my english is far from perfection)

I did some research and that's what I found:

Live in Copenaghen (2013)

Radial Tonebone JX-2 PRO
- white cable: tuner
- pink lane: Strymon El Capistan -> (drive?) -> Strymon Flint -> double channel output
- green lane: Strymon blueSky -> single channel output

Live in ?London? (maybe 2016)

Radial BigShot ABY
- lane 1: Strymon BlueSky
- lane 2: Strymon BlueSky + El Capistan + Flint + Deco and Moog Minifooger Drive

He has 2 amp: Fender '59 Bassman LTD and maybe a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Behind his leg there's a grey box. It's a power supply, isn't it?

I have some questions:
- why some pedals have 2 inputs (bluesky) and others only 1? what happens if I use only 1 output?
- why does he use 2 amps? Is one for Strymon's shimmer function?
- what happens if instead of those 2 amps I put a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI? (DI -> pedalboard -> mixer)
- what happens if I use a single lane with bluesky shimmer?

Thanks for your patience and for your help!!
I hope I didn't make too many grammatical mistakes.

bigEbeer

Silver Supporting Member
On the first picture the pink lane pedal you haven't identified is a Catalinbread Echorec

The gray box is hard to tell. Doesn't looks like a power supply to me, possibly a junction box, buffer/preamp, of some sort. You can see a 1/4 cable going into it.

The 1 vs 2 inputs is Mono vs Stereo. If you are just using 1 amp you will be fine just running the 1.

He seems to be using 2 amps as either a stereo rig or a wet dry setup

I've used a spectrum it sounded decent but not great. You would need 2 of them to run a stereo signal to your PA. Also you would run it Guitar > Pedalboard > DI > Mixer. Check out tech 21s character pedals for a better option with amp simulation

You won't get any panning on the shimmer but other than that you'll be fine.

Last edited:

-Empire

Before you spend $2000+ on pedals, it's important to understand that how and what you play is infinitely more important than getting an echorec and the same strymon pedals he has. A boss DD-7 and RV-5 will get you "in the ballpark" (this is an American idiom), but only if your hands are playing the right things.

Last edited:

bigEbeer

Silver Supporting Member
Before you spend $2000+ on pedals, it's important to understand that how and what you play is infinitely more important than getting an echorec and the same strymon pedals he has. A boss DD-7 and RV-5 will get you in the ballpark, but only if your hands are playing the right things.
I agree with Empire. I should have put a similar disclaimer

MrEma93

Before you spend $2000+ on pedals, it's important to understand that how and what you play is infinitely more important than getting an echorec and the same strymon pedals he has. A boss DD-7 and RV-5 will get you "in the ballpark" (this is an American idiom), but only if your hands are playing the right things.
I agree with Empire. I should have put a similar disclaimer
I totally agree with you. What I can say is that I can play almost all his songs (open tunings, fingerstyle,..) nearly as he does. I can also cover a lot of folk songs without any problem.
I don't wanna buy all pedals now, togheter. I'd like to get an idea: where to start and next steps.
Then I'll begin with 1 or 2 pedals. This is where I was thinking to start:

-Empire

I totally agree with you. What I can say is that I can play almost all his songs (open tunings, fingerstyle,..) nearly as he does. I can also cover a lot of folk songs without any problem.
I don't wanna buy all pedals now, togheter. I'd like to get an idea: where to start and next steps.
Then I'll begin with 1 or 2 pedals. This is where I was thinking to start:

Well if you know what you're doing then go for it. Personally wasn't a fan of the BlueSky though. The RV5/6 and Polara both blow it away IMO.

MrEma93

Well if you know what you're doing then go for it. Personally wasn't a fan of the BlueSky though. The RV5/6 and Polara both blow it away IMO.
I don't really know what I'm doing... I'm trying to make sense of it all.

What do you think of Line6 POD HD300?

-Empire

I don't really know what I'm doing... I'm trying to make sense of it all.

What do you think of Line6 POD HD300?
I would not go with an older modeler as technology has improved immensely in the current generation of high end modelers. Most older modelers don't support 3rd party IRs either which is a major advance in cab and mic modeling.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom