• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Newbie question - Effects

CWK

Hi,

Been thinking of getting some effects and am trying to figure out what tube effects there are. I know that there are tube distortion/overdrive effects. Are there any other effects which are all tube? If so, what are the make and model names?

Is there a benefit to either tube or digital effects.

Thanks.

bobcs71

There are various tube driven reverb & tremolo units. Personally I use a tube amplifier and analog effects (except for delay which is digital). Analog generally sounds more natural than digital in most applications. I suggest looking into whatever sounds good to you regardless of it's insides.

Some good advice on effects can be found at: http://www.robertkeeley.com/faq.php

Stormbringer

If you are talking in pedal form, there are also tube delays - from Guyatone's Flip Echo to Fulltone's TTE - compressors, filters (Electro Harmonix has a tube comp and the Tube Zipper) and there must be tube reverbs and the likes.

As for tube vs digital effects, I guess there are good and bad things to say about both and it boils down to personal tastes. I have a BK Butler Tube Driver and like it but many people around here do not, for instance.

Tube ODs can be tricky to dial in as they generate preamp tube distortion - all that I know , at least, use 12ax7s or similar - so it's not like having a quality tube amp being driven into power tube distortion.

I also think that while tube delays definitely have greater warmth and character, digital delays can do wonderful things too. Digital delays tend to be more practical and flexible - I have an Eventide Timefactor that can be preset for 20 different patches and can do a multitude of things - while tube delays tend to have an unmatched warmth.

I think you should try out a few examples of the pedals I cited above and I am sure other poeple will chime in with many more names and brands. There is no right or wrong here, whatever sounds good and works for you should be the best option.

CWK

Thanks everyone. I'll try to track down the effects and compare them with their digital counterparts.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
There are various tube driven reverb & tremolo units. Personally I use a tube amplifier and analog effects (except for delay which is digital). Analog generally sounds more natural than digital in most applications. I suggest looking into whatever sounds good to you regardless of it's insides.

Some good advice on effects can be found at: http://www.robertkeeley.com/faq.php
I'm with Bob... Tube amp, analog pedals except my DD-20.

okbutjustonce

Don't waste your time with tube effects. None of the pros do, with the possible exception of a tube tape echo.

We're talking pedals here, right? Studio rack effects like compressors and EQ are a whole different story.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
If you've got a ton of cash to spend... google Pete Cornish and check out his all tube buffered effects. David Gilmour speaks highly of his work, but then again Mr. Gilmour can afford the $20+K his board costs!

CWK

Thanks for the pointer to Pete Cornish. Looks interesting.

Been looking at Analoge Man, Paul Cochrane & BJFE also. Are there any other top custom builders that I should look at?

Thanks.

Stormbringer

Too many to mention but here are a few:

Toneczar
Fulltone
Teese
Keeley
D*A*M
Sweetsound
Barber
Option5
Homebrew
Custom Tones
Lovepedal
MJM
Throbak

many others

Last edited:

CWK

Have decided to go with analog pedals into tube amps. I've purchase or intend to purchase the following (* denotes already purchased):
AM Sunface NKT275*
BJFE Honey Bee OD*
BJFE Pine Green Compressor*
AM Bi-Chorus*
Hartman Flanger
Dr Scientist Reverberator

Lots of toys to play with whilst awaiting G-2 and SS-3.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

thisfire

Have decided to go with analog pedals into tube amps. I've purchase or intend to purchase the following (* denotes already purchased):
AM Sunface NKT275*
BJFE Honey Bee OD*
BJFE Pine Green Compressor*
AM Bi-Chorus*
Hartman Flanger
Dr Scientist Reverberator

Lots of toys to play with whilst awaiting G-2 and SS-3.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
Well hell, that didn't take long. Good luck on your journey CWK...it will be long and grueling, expensive and time consuming, and you'll probably end up paying a small fortune out to USPS, UPS and/or FedEx shipping pedals one way or another. Then one day you'll find the perfect rig that suits your playing style, snap a pic of it to post in the "Your Pedalboard - Photos" thread, and realize that what you actually love most is playing straight through your amp. So you'll sell 85% of your pedal collection and go back to the basics. After about a month of that, you'll buy back 50% of what you used to have. Then you'll realize that you need a new Tele more than stupid pedals...

My god, what have I become...

:jo

In all honesty though, BJFE is a great start...can't really go wrong with any of Bjorn's stuff :AOK Cornish is great too, but the only thing that's more of a joke than the wait are the prices.

CWK

Well hell, that didn't take long. Good luck on your journey CWK...it will be long and grueling, expensive and time consuming, and you'll probably end up paying a small fortune out to USPS, UPS and/or FedEx shipping pedals one way or another. Then one day you'll find the perfect rig that suits your playing style, snap a pic of it to post in the "Your Pedalboard - Photos" thread, and realize that what you actually love most is playing straight through your amp. So you'll sell 85% of your pedal collection and go back to the basics. After about a month of that, you'll buy back 50% of what you used to have. Then you'll realize that you need a new Tele more than stupid pedals...

My god, what have I become...

:jo

In all honesty though, BJFE is a great start...can't really go wrong with any of Bjorn's stuff :AOK Cornish is great too, but the only thing that's more of a joke than the wait are the prices.
Thanks for your good wishes and words of wisdom. It will certainly be expensive, but never mind that as long as it is FUN!

I'll come clean and say that I'm starting 3 boards (one for each of my residences) as follows:
1) boutique pedal board built around the 2 Cornish units mentioned plus other high end effects (Cornish?).
2) boutique pedal board built around Analogman, BJFE and other boutique builders as detailed in my previous post.
3) non-boutique pedal board built around EHX Big Muff Pi, Holy Grail (or similar) INCLUSIVE of a tube OD/distortion.

Should be interesting to compare the 3 eventually. No idea which I'd prefer.

thisfire

Wow, I actually really like that idea...I'd be afraid I'd fall in love with the EHX stuff and dump all of my much-beloved BJFE goodies :(

Lemme know how it goes!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom