• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Newbie questions about Roland V-Drums

the29band

Thanks for the tips, I read last night a plastic beater is good for the kick as well... but not sure where to find that? This is the kick pedal I was considering: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP200P--tama-hp200p-iron-cobra-200-single-pedal but that appears to have a felt head on it. Is there something I can just put on top of that component to cover the felt? Any other kick pedal suggestions?

I ordered a few sizes of nylon tipped zildjans after @the29band 's suggestion yesterday, glad to see another vote for them.
This guys explains it very well

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Such a simple solution I didn't even consider, thank you for the explanation!

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Hopefully last question here, how loud will the kick drum be on the floor? I live above some folks and I am starting to worry that it might be stomp city down there. I will have two rugs (carpeted room, plus a persian style rug on top) under the set, but I am wondering if I should put some effort into getting the kick to be a bit quieter? Any tips there would be great.. thinking maybe a standing desk mat (rubber foam) for under it perhaps? I feel like it wont be *that* loud but read a few posts around the Internet that are scaring me a bit.

kiki_90291

Hopefully last question here, how loud will the kick drum be on the floor? I live above some folks and I am starting to worry that it might be stomp city down there. I will have two rugs (carpeted room, plus a persian style rug on top) under the set, but I am wondering if I should put some effort into getting the kick to be a bit quieter? Any tips there would be great.. thinking maybe a standing desk mat (rubber foam) for under it perhaps? I feel like it wont be *that* loud but read a few posts around the Internet that are scaring me a bit.
I think it depends on the kind of kick you're using and the construction of your building. When I was younger, I used a FATKat kick on the second floor of an apartment building - the impact on those is downward, so while it's acoustically very quiet, I'm sure it sent a pretty good thump through the floor. (In retrospect, I was not a very good neighbor . . . ). A vertical pad kick like they have on the Roland v-drums may not transmit quite as much impact, but I think you'd have to just try it and talk to your neighbor about it.

If it is a problem, there are some good ideas out there for acoustic isolation that are supposed to work pretty well - look up "tennis ball isolation."

JWDubois

Both the kick and high hat can be very thumpy on the floor. The sticks clicking on the plastic cymbals can be louder than the sound in the monitors unless you have it turned up a bit.

But downstairs all you hear are the pedals thumping. I put down a double layer of lock together gym mats, then put a rug on top of that. That helped quite a bit.

Trending Topics