1. jlearman

jlearman Member

I would like to build my own hand-wired tube amp, however I know absolutely nothing about electrical theory. I've made my own cables, aand soldered in a few true-bypass switches before, but that's about the extent of my experience. I know I won't be putting the final touches on my 3 channel plexi by this weekend, but where do I start? What are the critical books that I need to read? Where do I learn the details of transistors, pots, & tubes?

Thanks!

2. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

If you're cloning an amp, making slight variations on a theme, or assembling an amp kit, almost anyone could figure out how to connect things together. However, being a professional electronic tech myself, IMO, to really understand it all you have to start with the basics and learn the math behind it as you go. You have to understand things like inductance, capacitance, resistance, DC theory, AC theory, etc. before you even get into connecting all this stuff together to make a simple one stage amplifier work. You can't put the cart before the horse. My suggestion would be to take some classes that include basic electronics, the math behind it, and some practical lab work. It took me 2 years to get my degree and there's a reason for that....you can't learn this stuff overnight. Previous to getting my degree, as a hobbyist I could make almost anything work.... but it wasen't until I went through a degree progarm that I finally got the whole picture. I'm not saying you have to get a degree to build a guitar amp but, in hindsight, I think classes on the basics would make the process much less frustrating. Also, you'll need to invest in some decent test equipment such as: multimeter, signal generator, oscilloscope, etc..... and you'll have to understand what they do and how they work. Not for the faint of heart!

4. jlearman

jlearman Member

Many thanks to all of you guys...lots of good references.