1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Newby Building my first Pedal train board. What tips, suggestions do you have?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joost Assink, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

Well, as you may have noticed I'm trying to assemble the effects to my new pedal board. For the first time, you've shown me how to make it neat and handy, with a pedal train and proper power. I've almost sorted that out, so now comes the making of the pedal board.

For those who have missed it, I have a Barber Tone Press, Fulltone OCD, FD2, Analogman Bi-Chorus, Diamond Memory Lane 2 and a Peterson Strobostomp. I'll be using George L cables for the pedal train.

What order do you suggest (I was thinking in the order I just typed them) and what do I need to look out for? What are the tips and tricks, what problems are most common?

thanks

2. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

The order you provided is good. Try mixing the order of the compressor and the drives to better cater to your specific taste. Some prefer their comp after their drives.

3. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

may wanna give the chorus a try before your dirt and then choose.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I would put the Peterson first so you don't have to turn off anything to get a pure tone to tune to and you can take advantage of its muting the entire signal better. Also, I would put the FD2 before the OCD. I think it will sound better this way if you want to push the FD2 into the OCD rather than the other way around.
    One tip I have regarding the underside is to use zip ties to gather up the excess cable neatly before running the main zip tie to one of those square cable ties. Using a small, extra zip tie on the ends helps to keep things tidy.
    Have fun! It is always cool to see the finished product of all your routing and engineering.

5. markw1980

markw1980 Supporting Member

Your ears should determine the order of your pedals, however, the provided list looks good. Experimentation can lead to new sounds. I agree with the post above, you might want your tuner first. Good luck!!

6. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

Great tips! However, I would also like some tips on how to assemble the pedal train. Does it matter if I combine power cables with audio cables? How long should the cables between the pedals be? The pedals will be inches apart, so....