Newer Eternity Burst ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jads57, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Hi , I just received a newer Eternity burst pedal in trade. It does not have any writing on it,has black chicken head knobs, and seems to be a PCB design as opposed to the older handwired units of past. Has anyone directly compared these to the other "E" pedals(Black,White, and Sunburst of past) out there, and if so, what was your conclusion? Thanks in advance!

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

use the SEARCH function man.

3. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

The E with the chicken head knobs were a special run (stated to be only 50) that Sean did at the end of '07, and put them on sale for $229. I absolutely LOVE mine, but it's the first E I've owned. But like Pete said, there's plenty of threads about them in here, and if I recall correctly, plenty of input from players who have owned other versions of the E.

4. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

5. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

This thread... so young, and already so full of fail... :(

(if you try the search function, you will discover that the chickenheads are the new Cusack build, are SMD, and are certainly not limited to 50 - what was limited was the number offered at that price)

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I used the search function and found a lot of confusion about whether or not Sean should charge X amount of $`s for a PCB pedal as opposed to the hand built one`s he offers, or use to offer. Not a lot of insight on tone after 17 pages of build quality. So I`m still confused, and there`s no way to email or phone Sean directly. I tried,w/out any success, So any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

7. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

so does it sound good?

8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I just got it and tried it at home w/ my Mesa Nomad 55 and in combination w/ other pedals( OCD v3, T.C. Jauernig Luxury Drive, and Boss GT-8) so far really nice, kind of like a refined tubescreamer type of sound w/out the mids or compression. It seems to have a clean sound blended in w/ the overdrive. I`ll know more tommorow when I use it w/ my Heriage Colonial at my Tues. night gig.

9. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

10. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Here is what I posted in another thread:

OK. Directly compared the new burst E, a summer 2006 burst E, and an old white E with the black lovepedal sticker. All 3 using the stock "Sean" chip.

First off, I have to say, the paint job on the new burst E is MUCH MUCH smoother & more durable than my old E. The old ones had that rough "primer" feel to them that scratched waaaaay too easily. The new burst E is much smoother - like paint (who would have figured). A marked improvement. Big time.

Plugged in:
    First thing I noticed is that the new burst has noticeably more gain than the old burst, and slightly more than the white one. It also has less of a midrange hump than either of the other two. I guess "more open" is fair here. With the new burst there is more treble earlier in the sweep of the glass knob (11:00 on the new one is about 2:00 on my old burst).

Overall, it sounds like an E. More gain, flatter mids, and that stomp switch is way cool. Very very smooth.

I opened it up, and indeed, there is a circuit board. But I'll tell ya -it looks pretty damn indestructible. Seriously. If Boss pedals last forever, this will last forever and a decade. No lie. If someone is thinking of not purchasing one because of that, well I understand, but it is not something to worry about (if you see it you'll know what I mean). It's like solid iron, haha...

One thing is that the DC tap is mounted directly on the circuit board, so I guess that "may" worry some - but seriously, it really doesn't seem like an issue. Again, I have a Boss DM2 on my board that has been with me since high school (and abused) - and the Eternity is made about 300x better than that. :D

Sean has a winner here.

11. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Thank you Mac-P that is exactly the information I was hoping to hear from someone. Very helpul description in terms of tone and build quality! Not having access to any other Eterniy pedals makes it hard to hear what other players are talking about. Thanks again.

12. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

I believe those were built using Jon Cusack's assistance. They have all the features of a Cusack build. It is extremely high quality and durable. I would rather buy that style any day!

13. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

I agree with Mac-P on the sound.

I checked out a new build Roadhouse E (black) and a handwired Roadhouse that was white. Same results, little bit more gain, and a bit flatter response in the mids.

It's a good E!

14. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

No problem bro. ;)

15. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

16. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

My conclusion= mighty kickass.