Newer Jeff Beck Strats

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rollyfoster, Aug 30, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

After going through "I really need a strat" to "I should sell my strat for something else" about 9 times, I'm ready for a new strat (again....) Anyways, I'm intrigued by the new JB models due to the smaller neck profile. I can't find any reviews on here, and Harmony Central seems to be of the older models.

So, can anyone testify to this mug? I'm super interested in the "ultra butterish" tremolo. I'd especially like to know about the shaped heel and if it really makes upper fret work easier.

2. rollyfoster

Nobody has one of these?

3. les

les Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I played a non-custom shop version of the JB strat and wasn't impressed at all. The neck felt really strange to me - too thin and kinda of cheap feeling.

4. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

I A/B-ed the standard Jeff Beck Signature Strat and the Custom Shop model in the store today. There is a difference but at least on the two guitars I tried it was pretty subtle. The neck on the CS one was a bit fatter and felt more comfortable to me and the tonewoods used are probably of higher quality since it had a nicer, beefier ring to it played unamplified.

In my experience with Fenders however this has to be checked on a guitar-to-guitar basis, since there seems to be dogs and awesome instruments within every line they make.

5. rollyfoster

thanks for the input. i want to try one out, but nobody in Austin has in in stock. i'd have to order it to try it out and won't have anything to compare it to.

6. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I have one of the new ones, and I had one of the original ones.

To me, the new one is much more playable (much more comfortable neck), and sounds a lot better (I can't stand Lace Sensor Pickups).

I got the non-custom shop version, and I love it.

I like the stock pickups in it, and the trem works very well.

I don't think the guitar feels very cheap at all-on the contrary, I thought it was very well put together, the neck pocket is very tight, it stays in tune, etc.

For me, I just wanted to have a real strat, that had updated features like locking tuners, 2 post trem, etc, and this fit the bill perfectly.

I didn't think it was worth it to me to get what I felt was essentially the same guitar for more money by going with the custom shop version.

7. rollyfoster

i think i'm going to pull the trigger on one. my first guitar was a surf green strat, and i sold it years ago. i want my childhood back!(but updated, of course...) plus, i'm sold on the contoured heel. is it really as cool as it looks?

8. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I love the contoured heel. Such a small contour, but a big change in feel if you play that high on the neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rollyfoster

nice! think there's anywhere to get one for less than 1399?

10. Redrum

Redrum Member

If your looking for a deal on a Jeff Beck Strat, consider getting the American Deluxe HSS. The American Deluxe HSS has the contoured heel, two-point trem, locking tuners and the noisless pups - though they are the Sumarian Cobalt models instead of the vintage noiseless. It also features the roller nut, just like the JB. The neck carve is very nice, not to thin either. Same neck radius and frets as well. The only difference (aside from the available colors ) is the AD/HSS has the Fender humbucker in the bridge position and you get the S-1 switch system to boot.

I've been VERY stoked with my AD/HSS - and I considered the JB for the locking keys and the roller nut. But, in the end, the AD/HSS was the same quality but more versatile with the S-1 system.

It's also a couple hundred bucks less!

11. rollyfoster

well, after a phone call to vegasgreg for a live opinion, i've decided to move on this axe. should be in at the end of the month! i'm pumped. so much so, that my girlfriend said (after about 30 mins of blabbing about this) these words to me:

"i know this is exciting for you, but if i wanted to hang out with nigel tufnel, i'd put spinal tap on"

ouch.:jo

oh, and greg, she said to tell you thanks.....a lot.

12. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I just love spreading cheer. :dude

13. rollyfoster

AAAAAAAAAAH, IT'S GETTING SHIPPED TOMORROW!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

sweet!

14. rollyfoster

Well, it came in yesterday. It is incredible. I'll post pics soon. The neck is about the most comfortable i've ever played on and the pups sound butterish through my rig. this may be the end of the search! she just needs a minor setup to get along with the austin climate-not staying in tune too well.... all in all, probably the best guitar that i've ever encountered (for me, that is).

15. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I don't have time to read all the threads, but I can tell you that the new ones are WAAAAAAAAAAY better than the older ones.

16. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

That's good to hear!

Enjoy it!

17. rollyfoster

gave it a final setup tonight. i can't imagine finding a strat that i like more than this. ballsy pickups, sweetest neck i've ever held, tone out the ass. it's super loud and resonant unplugged, and plugged in....whoa.

[​IMG]

18. rollyfoster

sorry to keep bringing this up, but this guitar is phenomenal. i feel like i've had it for years, it's that comfortable. i'm not sure why more people don't have one, or why they're not discussed as much. kind of like the man, himself, i suppose. anyways, great guitar.

19. MindReader

MindReader Member

I have a new JB Strat and I have an old one also.
    The new one eats the old one for breakfast.
    I would have prefered the wilkerson nut to the LSR nut though... so I may pull the neck and replace it with one that has a Wilkerson from my Strat Plus Neck collection.

The Plus Neck to me is the best that Fender ever made.

To the earlier poster about going with the Deluxe Strat as the same thing...well I been there done that and my feeling is the vibe just isnt there compared to the new JB model.

I hate the silver logo and loathed the abalone dots.. but I did try to make it work so I had clay dots installed but no ..the silver logo kept bugging me and so it got eBayed.

The JB Strat rules.

20. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Sweet JB strat !!!