• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Newer Traynor Bassmasters are NOT like the oldies.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7236/latemodelyba1.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9120/yba1latemodel78pt2.jpg

I have worked on this recently. Believe it is a 78, maybe 79, still designated as a YBA-1
Note the circuit variation in the tone section. Moved away from the old Marshall cathode follower style to a hybrid tone stack incorporating the presence control without using the nfb line, etc, etc.
Also particle board cab, thinner metal and different size chassis, plastic shafted parts, much smaller transformers and a general use of a lower grade of component which probably popped up nearly everywhere in the 70's.
Still, sounds pretty good.
Market price for these? Dunno...?

mr coffee

Platinum Supporting Member
someone sho(i)tgunned it with orangedrops.. yours stilll has the orig mustards in which are great. Signifigantly smaller iron but they were OVER transformered )excpt in bass applications) thats more "guitar" friendly

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
. Signifigantly smaller iron but they were OVER transformered )excpt in bass applications) thats more "guitar" friendly
The transformers are more Fender sized, here.
Sounds rather Fender-ish, too. Nasty breakup at high volume on the low end needs further attention...hmmm.

donnyjaguar

I have one of those 1970's Bassmasters too. The output iron really isn't adequate in this amplifier. I measured 37Watts max @ 1,000Hz and that trailed off to about 25Watts on the bass guitar's open E. Not exactly stadium-terror territory. I don't know whether to leave mine as-is or bastardize it with new power tranny, output transformer and another pair of 6CA7 tubes.

BCJek

I have an early-70's YBA-4. It was the 1x15" combo version of the YBA-1 that had a closed speaker section and a rubber-isolated head mounting. It has smaller transformers than the older models [and no choke], but has the original circuit topology, otherwise.

I have since put it into a compact head.

I will replace the volume pots at some point, though. They are 500Meg linear stock.

Michael

soldersucker

Traynors came under the bean-counters watch as did most amps post 67 ish.I believe production amps peaked in quality before 1966 and suffered until the recent bootiqe boom.
This is traynor #0002 Dynabass as proof-

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Depending on one's views about ss rectifiers the early amps, using that configuration, were still pretty rugged as Bassmasters.

phsyconoodler

A sure fire way to know if you've got a good one is the scripted logo.When they changed to the cast plate,they were produced on an assembly line and everything suffered in quality.The wiring in the non-Pete Traynor wired models was a rat's nest.
The transformers were not really an issue as many modern 50 watt amps use rather smallish OT's.Like a Hot rod Deluxe and a Koch Twin Tone.They are actually smaller that an 18 watt marshall.

JJman

Check out "How it's Made" on TV when they repeat the "Guitar Amplifiers" segment. Ribbon cables galore and a wave soldered PCB. At the end they show the completed amp and it's "Traynor" logo.

Trending Topics