Newest basic MXR Phase 90 - True hardwire bypass, right?

Dad love mom

Gold Supporting Member
Can anyone confirm if the most recent MXR Phase 90 models are indeed true hardwire bypass? Thanks. I know the ones from the mid-2000s were all hardwire bypass, but I recall reading online years back that the newer revisions (of the most basic Phase 90 models) were indeed now true hardwire bypass. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

MoonshineMan

Which one? The M101 says it is, and the Custom Shop Script 90 s as well. I have the CS and it's a very soft, quiet switch, probably relay. I don't know about the M101.

Dad love mom

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! I was inquiring about the M101. I don't know why the block logo (M101) gets flack from people. I like the fact that the M101 is a thick phaser that is well heard once switched on.

stinkfoot

Dunlop still has the M101 listed as "hardwire" in their master list of each pedals' bypass systems. However, the current manual for the M101 says "true hardwire" (which is Dunlop-ese for true bypass), so they may have revised the pedal some time after the master list was last updated. Case in point - the Custom Shop Script model (CSP-101, with LED and power jack) was originally hardwire, but with Revision B they made it true bypass. So you'd need to know which revision the pedal is, before buying.

zeffbeff

The modern MXR pedals are true hardwire bypass, which is their way of saying true bypass.

I have not noticed any tone changes with my newer DynaComp in the chain. I was going to put it into an effects loop with my Crybaby, but there's really no need.

stinkfoot

"Hardwire" is the old style bypass, where the circuit input is constantly connected (hardwired) to the input jack, and the switch only selects which signal to send to the output jack.

"True hardwire" is Dunlop's name for what the rest of us call "true bypass" - the circuit is disconnected at both ends, so in bypass, there's nothing at all connected to the signal path.

More light reading here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/501

Dunlop/MXR is indeed shifting to true bypass ("true hardwire") on their pedals. This means all new designs are true bypass (except a couple which are fully buffered), while older ones are still "hardwire" and only gets converted when/if they are redesigned (a new revision is made).

tedm

Exactly. See post 7 for the Phase 45/90/script/no-script that has no tone-sucketh.

and lets begin to live our lives
I went to see all my friends tonight
it wasn't Youth, it wasn't even Life

"Hardwire" is the old style bypass, where the circuit input is constantly connected (hardwired) to the input jack, and the switch only selects which signal to send to the output jack.

"True hardwire" is Dunlop's name for what the rest of us call "true bypass" - the circuit is disconnected at both ends, so in bypass, there's nothing at all connected to the signal path.

More light reading here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/501

Dunlop/MXR is indeed shifting to true bypass ("true hardwire") on their pedals. This means all new designs are true bypass (except a couple which are fully buffered), while older ones are still "hardwire" and only gets converted when/if they are redesigned (a new revision is made).

Dad love mom

Gold Supporting Member
Exactly. See post 7 for the Phase 45/90/script/no-script that has no tone-sucketh.

and lets begin to live our lives
I went to see all my friends tonight
it wasn't Youth, it wasn't even Life
Do you own one? I've read conflicting reports about the 95 sounding too loud when turned on, too pronounced, and too fast a sweep. I've also read that some people are claiming the 95 sounds very different than the stock models it emulates (or recreates).

tedm

Yes I do. How can it have too fast a sweep? There is a knob for that, and you can turn it down to unnoticeable, just like any other of the 1/2 dozen MXR 90s I've had. I've had a 100, don't now, do have a block orange one with the "script mod" that the mini 95 sounds just like. An interesting thing is I actually like the 45 modes more than the 90 script, which is what I've been using for years.

Do you own one? I've read conflicting reports about the 95 sounding too loud when turned on, too pronounced, and too fast a sweep. I've also read that some people are claiming the 95 sounds very different than the stock models it emulates (or recreates).

Dad love mom

Gold Supporting Member
Yes I do. How can it have too fast a sweep? There is a knob for that, and you can turn it down to unnoticeable, just like any other of the 1/2 dozen MXR 90s I've had. I've had a 100, don't now, do have a block orange one with the "script mod" that the mini 95 sounds just like. An interesting thing is I actually like the 45 modes more than the 90 script, which is what I've been using for years.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm even more excited to get one tomorrow! :)

Trending Topics