Newgrass appreciation thread

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Any Newgrass or modern bluegrass fans hiding here? I listened to a ton of this stuff when I was focusing on mandolin. One of my favorites is the Dappled Grays out of Atlanta. I just got a preview copy of their new record, and it's really strong. Here are a couple of older videos:

There's something about a band that can clearly mash on traditional bluegrass songs at insane tempos, but they really dig into creating original material that stretches the form a little around the edges.

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
I like a great deal of it myself. During my search I was pleased to find bands like Shooglenifty,
Flook, and Zubat and Dawson (the latter two now defunct) as well. Tons of amazing music out there that can be played without a source of voltage.

And while they aren't exactly 'newgrass' (never really sure of the parameters), anyone interested in acoustic Americana needs to check out Mandolin Orange.

Mayo5

Silver Supporting Member
Do The Punch Brothers count as newgrass? Because, they are in that realm, and one of the more talented bands I've heard in a long time.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I really dig the Punch Brothers and Nickel Creek.

They both get regular rotation at my casa.

hubberjub

Well, and easy suggestion would be Bela Fleck era New Grass Revival. Also, there's a great band out of NEPA called Hickory Project. They were Vasser Clements' backup band, but are still going strong.

plawren53202

I'm not sure exactly what qualifies as Newgrass, so these suggestions may be off base depending on how your restrictive your definition is, but...

Having said that, I have really been into Elephant Revival and Sarah Jarosz lately. Sarah's songwriting and vocals just move me more than more traditional bluegrass. Elephant Revival is far-out folk/acoustic with some bluegrass-ish instruments (banjo, fiddle/violin), but I just dig it.

Sierra Hull is much closer to traditional bluegrass, but her Berklee background has been revealing itself more and more in some of her more recent instrumental work, much wider ranging than just traditional bluegrass.

Nickel Creek is always a solid choice. I also like a lot of the individual members' individual pursuits, including Sara Watkins' solo work and Chris Thile's other pursuits like Punch Brothers.

dlguitar64

Well, and easy suggestion would be Bela Fleck era New Grass Revival. Also, there's a great band out of NEPA called Hickory Project. They were Vasser Clements' backup band, but are still going strong.
I never cared for the New Grass Revival. I much prefer Bela's solo stuff(Drive is my fav) and find Sam much more appealing as
a sideman. Cowan's voice and the use of drums really turned me off.
I like
Muleskinner
Old and In the Way
Bill Keith
David Grisman Quintet
Mark O'Connor
Chris Thile
Punch Brothers

Jim Soloway

I guess terms change over time. I first remember the "New Grass" label showing up in the 70's when Tony Trishka and David Grisman were experimenting with bringing jazz elements (and in the case of Grisman, a lot of Hot Club swing) and merging it with bluegrass. I was a big fan of that sound. In fact, I'm a big fan of almost anything that moves forward by merging music from different genres. It makes it feel to me like music is still an adventure. I thought that video of Elephant Revival created some of that same sense of adventure in their own way. There's a really cool band called World On A String (I believe from Denmark) who also hit that vibe for me.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Do The Punch Brothers count as newgrass? Because, they are in that realm, and one of the more talented bands I've heard in a long time.

Those guys can certainly play bluegrass or newgrass as well as anyone, but as of 2015 they seem to be more of what I'd call a "string band" or even a chamber ensemble. I don't think there's anything they couldn't do. The level of talent in that group is astounding.

Check this out:

http://gardenandgun.com/media/ophelia-punch-brothers

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
David Grisman and Bela Fleck are other good examples.

For me, New Grass is when you take typical bluegrass instruments and techniques/embelishments and put them into different musical genres. Not sure if that captures all of it, but it is the place where I pay attention.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
John Cowan - formerly Newgrass Revival.

Cache Valley Drifters

Four Bitchin' Babes (funny song)

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Railroad Earth
I know labels are silly, but to my mind RR Earth crosses a line into something else. They definitely use instruments that are used in bluegrass, and have improv chops and vocal harmonies like bluegrass, but they definitely play to more of a rock feel. To me the *groove* of bluegrass and newgrass is an essential element. Once you have drums and electric bass dictating the feel it almost always becomes something different. To me, at least.

Lephty

I listen to a lot of different stuff, but "newgrass" in some form or another probably constitutes more than half of my diet. I'm big fan of the Matt Flinner Trio, with Ross Martin on guitar. They do a cool thing on tour called "Music Du Jour" where each member of the trio writes a new piece of music each day on tour, and the tunes get played that night:

Trending Topics