• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Newly Acquired Vox AC15CC1 Questions

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a used Vox AC15CC1 in near perfect condition. It is about a year old and really only played for about the last couple of months. (It should just be getting broken in. LOL) I got a great deal so I am done with my old trusty Vox AD50VT and the used mint Peavey Classic 30 I picked up just like a week ago. (Great Tone/Too Loud/my bad)

Anyway, I have a couple of questions to anyone who may have had some experience with this amp. I can tell already I need to look in to a new reverb. I could replace the tank or get a good verb pedal, but not sure what may be best. I have read good things about the accutronics going into this unit???

The amp sounds, and has been said, to have quite a bit of treble. I had just ordered a Digitech Bad Monkey, but read that since that it is a tube screamer type clone that it may not be a good match. Any ideas on a good OD or boost pedal. (For that matter, any pedals at all that make this amp shine? I just play rock. Maybe more simple alternative rock. I usually just use reverb, some tremelo - which is really pretty good already on this amp, and OD.)

Any other thoughts? Anything to watch out for? Thanks for everything. I have previously searched through this site and have done some reading into the amp, but I am looking for some good responses to get me going.

utterhack

great pedals for light-to-heavy drive depending on how the amp is set:
- Subdecay Liquid Sunshine (very affordable used, great match for the amp's voice once you figure out how to dial it in)
- Zvex Box of Rock (volume just above unity, gain left of noon, plus the boost side's great too)
- Crowther Hot Cake (designed specifically around the AC30-type circuit)
- BJF Honey Bee (that one'll run ya)

For about $100 buck's try the MXR Zackk Wylde OD.It's not "boutique" or "special",but it's surprisingly good with this amp IMO.I wouldn't use a Bad Monkey for a paper weight! I posted this in another thread but,it (ZW-44) works really well for rock&roll with my AC-30.If you haven't already,change the wharfedale speaker out for the best one you can afford of your choice.The single best thing I did.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks so far guys. Custom68, I have always heard pretty good stuff on the monkey and would have never thought of the Zakk as a suitable pedal. That just goes to show that tone is pretty subjective. I have an open mind and open ears so thanks for your input, I will try it out. Likewise, utterhack, I will look into some of those pedals as well...

rainking33

Having this amp, the following things made the biggest improvements for me:

1) changing the stock wharfedale speaker (the Celestion Blue is considered top of the line, but there are others that get good results and can often be found used here on TGP)
2) perform the "bright cap mod" which helps tame the highs and makes the amp a little more pedal friendly (check it out here http://www.guitarpug.com/2008/06/vox-ac15cc-mod-guide/#more-179
3) get some NOS EL84s

As far as OD pedals go, I have a Gaspedals Carb which works really well with this amp and I've heard good things about the Crowther Hotcake (again both can usually be found used here on TGP)

jamme61

Silver Supporting Member
Great amp congrats! Save the money, and go with the monkey, IMHO. Unless you're trying to do metal out of the AC15, you'll be very happy with the monkey. The monkey is so good, and so cheap, buy two and you'll have a three channel amp, not kidding, it works great. I have the real TS9 and 808, the monkey has less mid hump, i like it better then my tube screamers.

jamoed

hey man. i have the same exact amp and have done the following in the past 2 weeks:

1. bought an Celestion Alnico Blue.
2. Bought a set of JJ tubes from Eurotubes: https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=130&sub_category_id=131

I have only had the new stuff in amp a few days and I notice a world of difference. I will probably perform the bright cap mod but I want to hear how the amp sounds with the new tubes and speaker first.

I agree with you on the reverb. Even with the reverb fully on, it seems to be lost in the mix. I am mulling possibly getting a reverb pedal but dont have the room on my pedalboard for it!

Great little amp and with the mods it will sound even better!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Having this amp, the following things made the biggest improvements for me:

1) changing the stock wharfedale speaker (the Celestion Blue is considered top of the line, but there are others that get good results and can often be found used here on TGP)
2) perform the "bright cap mod" which helps tame the highs and makes the amp a little more pedal friendly (check it out here http://www.guitarpug.com/2008/06/vox-ac15cc-mod-guide/#more-179
3) get some NOS EL84s

As far as OD pedals go, I have a Gaspedals Carb which works really well with this amp and I've heard good things about the Crowther Hotcake (again both can usually be found used here on TGP)
+1 All great recommendations. I will add I would change the reverb tank first, you can pick up a new one for pretty cheap and it will be less expensive than a reverb pedal...

SAVAGE BEAST

I would like to know this as well. I find the reverb on my amp to be annoying and leave it off most of the time. Would like something smoother....

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
1. bought an Celestion Alnico Blue.
Alternatively if you don't want to shell out for the Celestion AB, try the Eminence Red Fang. It's their Alnico Blue equivalent. Not exactly the same, but close (some people like it a bit more, some like it a bit less), but it's half the price.

Telecaster62

Don't worry about your Bad Monkey purchase. In fact the Monkey is a VERY UNDERRATED pedal. Much better than the Zak piece of crap. You can dial in the amount of bass and treble on the Monkey which will allow you to tailor it to the AC15. It does have a midrange hump like all tube screamers but that' O.K. with the VOX circuit which accentuates the upper mids. I've used the Monkey on a British voiced amp for years and it sounds great.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
how much and labor intensive is it to replace the reverb tank?
I replaced the tank on an AC30CC1 so keep that in mind, but it was easy. Just unscrew the reverb tank in the bag from the bottom of the amp. Pull the tank out. Disconnect the RCA jacks (note the input and output). Remove the wood bottom from the old tank and attach it to the new. Reassemble and your done. Should be about a 15 minute job max.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks everyone. I did the bright cap mod and it made a big difference the louder the volume gets...Remember to remove the bright cap which is C26, not C13. (C13 is the bright cap for an AC30.) Give me a PM for some pointers on the mod if you want.

I ordered an Accutronics from Antique Electrical Supply. (25 new and 10 to ship.)

I am still on the fence with the Bad Monkey. It is cool that you can tweak highs and lows. We'll see.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I wonder if a Fane alnico 12" would be a good fit with this amp?

S.
j

Trending Topics