Newly installed Dimarzio Fast Track 2 sounding weak

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Stinky Kitty, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

Hey fellas, tried for about an hour on the search engine but couldn't get any specifics to address my question. I have a standard 5-way, S/S/S Strat that was recently upgraded by my local guitar tech to substitute a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge. For some odd reason, it doesn't sound nearly as powerful as I thought it would and position 4 gives me a horrible "out of phase" quack sound that I'm not looking for in this particular guitar...it's strictly a metal guitar in the bridge and a Yngwie style sound in the neck. I don't even use the middle pickup.
    Am I to assume the humbucker was wired in parallel with the middle pickup to achieve this sound? Would wiring it in series bring back the oomph it seems to be missing? Also, the middle tone control only works on the neck pickup now, not the neck and middle (when in position
    2).
    I don't want to split the humbucker, I just want it wired for maximum power (all pots are 500K FWIW). I would rather just have the single coil in the middle on its own or acting with the neck but have no desire for it to work in conjunction with the bridge.
    Is that out of phase quack sound normal in position 4 when a humbucker is placed in a Strat?

Thanks for anyone's .02!

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

How does it sound when only the bridge pickup is on? He may have hooked it up improperly. DiMarzio has wiring diagrams at their site. Ok as far as I can tell the black and white wires of the new pickup should have been solder together. The red should have gone to the switch (exactly where the previous pickup was wired). And the green should have gone to ground. There may be a phase reversal when the new bridge pickup is on with one of the others. In this case making green hot and red ground may solve the problem. Let's see what others have to say about this.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

1.)What EADGBE said about position 4.

2.)Are you sure it's Fast track 2 you have in the bridge? Does it have any hum when used alone? How's the output compared to the neck and mid pickup? If it's wired in parallel, the output would be very very low compared to the rest.

3.) How's the pickup height in conjunction with the strings? Is it far away from the strings?

4.) Could be a defective unit, might want to buy another one? I had a Dimarzzio HS2 before and the low A pole magnet had no pull at all, it still got passed their QC.

5.) Why your tech still let you take it? Especially the out of phase sound should be very noticeable. He should've fixed the whole and make sure everything sounds right before he let you take it home.

4. Stinky Kitty

The pickup definitely is louder than all the others in position 5 but when I go to position four, I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Has the FS2 been split to work in conjunction with the middle? In the typical S/S/S config, the middle and bridge remove the 60 cycle hum so I guess it's acting as a psuedo humbucker. As it currently is wired, it sounds like FS2 has been split and it's out of phase with the middle because I get 60 cycle hum and that horrible funky quack sound that is not something I would need in this particular guitar. I wonder if I lower the middle, would it reduce the amount of quack I'm getting?
    FWIW, when I'm using just the bridge pickup, it definitely is humbucking but just doesn't seem as loud or raunchy as it should. It sounds more like a beefed up single. I can STILL hear that stratish-high end that would more akin to a single that would be putting out about 10K. The FS2 is supposed to rate out at around 17.2-17.5K power-wise.

5. Stinky Kitty

Problem solved fellas....I had the wiring adjusted so that out of phase sound was eliminated in position 4; now that #4 position gives me a slightly less hot sound than the bridge alone but I can use the bottom treble control to smooth it out some to provide a nice contrast from the FS2...exactly what I wanted. FWIW, the FS2 now dimes at 16.8k