Newsflash: Stuart Castledine is THE MAN

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phase45child, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

Great customer service deserves to be broadcast to the pedal world, so I'm doing my bit now. Bear with me, could be a lengthy one.

Last week I bought an old Vox wah from a friend who owns a music shop, and after only a couple of minutes with it the pot fell out. My friend was out of town, but said he'd replace the pot when he came back. Having got the wah at a reasonable price, I decided to look for someone else to help me fix the pedal so I could have it playing sooner.

I ordered a Castledine pot from Reverb and Stuart sent me a quick email to inform me that the gear from the old pot would need to be swapped over to his new pot in order for it to fit the rack from the old wah. He instructed me on how to do this and also said it could be really tricky without the correct tools.
    He offered to swap the gears over free of charge if I sent him the wah and covered return shipping. I agreed, and then asked out of curiosity if he would go so far as swap the gears and fit the new pot, and how much would it be.

He emailed straight back to say £10 including next day delivery back to me.

I was delighted, and sent the pedal to Stuart. I enclosed a note asking if he had any way of dating the wah by looking at the components. Over the next two days Stuart sent me two detailed emails with loads of great information regarding old wahs, even going so far as to research his database to correlate the information. Turns out I have a 1970 Italian wah with a circuit board that appears to feature components that were used about 1000 serial numbers before mine, although it hasn't been modded in any way and doesn't appear to be a frankenwah. Stuart said he was categorising it as one of the JEN anomalies that he discovers sometimes, adding that while the Trash Can inductors vary wildly, my wah featured one of the good ones :)

My wah arrived back today, only a couple of days after I sent it off. Not only had Stuart swapped the gears over, replaced the new pot and investigated the history of my wah, but he'd swapped the battery connector over after the old one was found to be corroded AND he'd sent the pedal back via the quickest, most costly method. All that for £10

The wah is SILENT when in use, no crackly pot now, and the tone is everything I hoped for from a vintage Vox.

If you live in the UK and you need a hand with your wah then look no further than Stuart Castledine. You just don't get service like this anywhere else in my experience.

kenevil, analogmike, joegagan and 5 others like this.
  2. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Noted! Not heard of Castledine before but had a look at his website and looks good! If I'm after some pedal help I may give him a call in the future! His pedals look cool as well.

Phase45child likes this.
  3. DamianL

DamianL Member

Yup - he's well known to be one of the absolute experts with vintage effects.

D

joegagan and Phase45child like this.
  4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

His stuff has mojo built right in.. amazing build and service. Top notch.. he knows his sh*t and has the "ear" for tuning this stuff perfectly.

joegagan, Phase45child and Spaceman3 like this.
  5. Spaceman3

Spaceman3 Member

His 'WIZARD' pedal is the ONLY Tony Iommi stoner-doom pedal out there, it makes the Sabra Cadabra sound digital! I wish he'd make a phaser!

joegagan likes this.
  6. 1ststatestereo

1ststatestereo Supporting Member

Just got a Magical Mystery Box.

I wanted one for years. It's amazing. Absolutely stunning.

7. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Member

I own eight Castledine pedals, he's fantastic to deal with. Outstanding pedals and craftsmanship, and always as quiet as possible.

joegagan likes this.
  8. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

stu is a gentleman, and a wahlking wah encyclopedia. known him online for 18 yrs, he helped me out very early on. forever in gratitude.