Next amp quest....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ukslinger, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I'm trying to find a new amp and probably will not get to play any of the heads I'm considering. I've narrowed it down to a few and am looking for opinions and suggestions. Looking for high-gain but not death metal and around $2000. Hot-rodded Marshall-ish tones. I'm in no hurry, so any help would be awesome.

Amps on my list: Roccaforte HG, Slash or Jubilee, Splawn Quickrod, Budda Superdrive, Fargen MKII, SLO, and maybe something from the Voodoo V-series.

A great clean channel would be cool, but its not that important as long as the overdrive and high-gain tones make up for it. Same for effects loop. Thanks, any help would be great.

2. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

3. beej

beej Supporting Member

Some others to consider-

CAA OD100s are great. The SE+ is a phenomenal high gain amp, and the Classic+ is great for hot rodded Marshall tones.

I'm partial to the Guytron GT100 (I have two). Excellent gain tones at all volumes and very versatile. Clean tones are also incredible.

4. Hellfire999

Hellfire999 Member

+1
    Also look at Laneys...

5. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

Thanks. I have considered the orange amps and may actually get to demo some, although I think its some of their starter line stuff. The others I haven't heard much out of. Not getting to try out anything before dropping 2 grands kinda sucks.

6. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a Rivera. I have a 55 watt Knucklehead and it's a 96 and I've had "0" problems with it.

My 2nd choice....and I'm biased because I just scored/stole one on E-Bay would be a Yamaha T50 or T100. I'm absolutely stunned by how good this amp sounds. Great clean clannel that will go from a clean Fender Twin with the gain down to a Twin on "roids" with it turned up.The gain channel....well the amp was designed by Mike Soldano and I call it a poorman's SLO. I'm still tickled by this amp.....and they are out there around $500.00 dollars.:AOK

7. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Have you considered a Star GainStar? I'm not sure what you are gonna do with it, but it has some awesome gain tones in the hot-rodded realm, very unique, and possibly the best clean channel I have ever heard. FX loop on the gain channel only, but it is very quiet.

At only 30 watts you can avoid having to use any sort of volume attenuation at big gigs, and the gain-channel-only MV works very well at bringing it down to 18 watter levels without tone loss for smaller gigs.

Used head should be available for around $2k.