Next amp... which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strings4v, Feb 11, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

So... I'll be having some fund for a new amp.. I play through a Budda SD18. I like it for what it is, but it doesn't "nail" what I wanna get out of an amp. The cliqué American clean + British dirt.
    Budda SD definitely has its own thing going on and I like it for what it is.
    Now I am looking for an amp with a great modded plexi style gain + good clean. Something I can use alongside with my Budda to complement it. Clean just needs to be able to achievable, doesn't have to be 2 channels.
    Some that I was looking at are:
    1. Suhr Badger 30
    2. Splawn Super Sport
    3. Splawn Street Rod
    4. Bogner Shiva EL34
    5. Mesa Electra Dyne
    6. Friedman PT (maybe not since clean is impossible with this thing lol)
    7. some stuff I am missing out... ceriatone? Rockett?

I appreciate your input!

2. The Funk

The Funk Member

Shiva certainly does that. I'd also look into Rivera.

3. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Splawn fan here. Currently own the Streetrod and would recommend it. I have owned several different models over the years (not the Supersport or the Nitro, however) and would say they all sound great, and all fall along the hot-rodded Marshall spectrum of JMP or JCM 800 tones with generally stronger mids.

I have played the Suhr and the Mesa you listed above. To my ears, these are not "Marshall-sounding" amps.

I can't speak to the other amps you listed.

You might want to give the new Marshall DSL amps a look... the DSL 40C or the DSL 100H. Great sounding amps costing significantly less than the ones you listed.

4. strings4v

strings4v Member

I've played through Marshall DSLs. Cool amps for sure but not my taste at all.. I know, kind of funny wanting a vintage "marshall" thing but not liking products from Marshall.. clean was alright but the OD was quite thin for my taste. I don't recall them having the high mid aggressive "hunk" I am after. How is clean from Splawn? I've owned a 68 super bass clone once. Loved the clean from it.. can I get a true clean sound out of Splawn?

5. strings4v

strings4v Member

Not sure if CME carries Bogner amps. If I do get a chance I definitely wanna play through one. Which Riveras should I look into? Knuckleheads look like the ones that do what I want.. the concept (Fender clean, Marshall dirt) on that amp reminds me of Suhr PT100s

6. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

The electradyne will not only do this, but do this exceptionally well. Plus, it's the definite value play. Grab one, and thank me later.

7. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

What tones are you going for ??
    What type of music do you play ??

8. Tall Dark N Dirty

Tall Dark N Dirty Member

The Laney LionHeart Amps look so interesting, innovative, stylish. I have never played one but they seem intriguing too me.

9. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

10. fuzzysimpleton

fuzzysimpleton Member

Dr Z has a few to choose from. Easily my favorite amp maker.

11. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Bogner Atma has beautiful Cleans and that Modded Marshal tone and the top-end Wattage is the same as your Budda. The Shiva is a fine choice....but like a lot of the amps on your list.....the wattages range from 30 watts and higher, (if that's an issue).

12. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

The Suhr PT100 sig is an obvious choice. But that's a lot if amp. I really want the new RedPlate Magica for exactly this. 19" x 19" inch combo with dedicated american clean and two levels of hotrod Marshall gain. Hand wired with a killer effects loop. Reasonably price for what it is and the best customer service in the business.

13. strings4v

strings4v Member

Z remedy looks cool... I shall check it out

14. strings4v

strings4v Member

the PT100 would be my final choice hands down if money wasn't an issue.
    I've never heard of Redplate. I will check it out. Thanks!

15. strings4v

strings4v Member

I run a Rivera Rockcrusher set on -3db to about -12db from time to time. So wattage isn't an issue. Weight might be lol

16. hotmod

hotmod Member

The amps that I would like to be able to try for what you're describing would be,
    the suhr sl 67/68, Dr z maz 38/srz 65 and the Hamiltone six string slinger/austin overdrive

17. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

On another thread 3rd power came up, and sounds interesting for me, and could fit for you as well. They have a 2 channel amp with blackface/tweed voicing and the second channel is classic plexi in a small el34 based amp. Not cheap, but one I personally want to test.

18. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

What type of music do you play? ?
    What tones are you going for? ?

19. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

You may want to check out the Rivera Venus 6. It's class A. I also use a Budda, a Stringmaster 4x10 and I have played may gigs switching between them.
    The Venus 6 has a High gain British channel and a super awesome clean channel, it sounds every bit as good as my vintage Fenders but with more control. Like a switchable mid EQ to go between blackface and tweed mids. Paul Rivera was senior design engineer at Fender in the 1980's.
    I have a 1x12 combo. It's one of the best amps I've owned. I may be selling it by the way. It's a great amp.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  20. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Yes, if you get one of the heads (50W or 100W) with a lot of headroom on the clean channel. On the Streetrod, I find that the clean channel does not have a lot of clean headroom and breaks up at moderate volumes.

However, the amps are touch sensitive and will clean up well with your guitar volume knob and your touch. Personally, I don't play much totally clean stuff so I never cared.