• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Next amp?

Silver Supporting Member
Do I like what I have? Yes, but spouse wants larger house to stow all of my audio gear. I guess I gotta work longer!
Are you getting the most out of it? No way...I need to practice more! I was taking lessons - maybe, I can resume post Covid-19.
What exactly is your most relevant goal in playing guitar?

Obviously I don’t know the answer for you but I’d hope it isn’t buying more guitar gear to have more tones. I’ve been there and I acted like that was my answer but it’s a hollow pursuit. When I realized it was to play more 50-70s rock music in a band, I lost interest in new pedals, guitars and amps. I’ve got more than enough of what I need to do what I want to do. Okay, okay one in and one out is okay but it’s a marginal improvement at best. Rig rundowns for top notch pros with simple and limited setups was a revelation. Learning to work a Strat/Tele/Les Paul/SG guitar into a Fender/Marshall/Vox/Mesa amp is all it really takes. The rest is fluff or icing.

If you want to go totally crazy then six guitars and three amps cover a massive range of possible tones. Lots of real pros making music for a living don’t have more gear then that...

c1ferrari

What exactly is your most relevant goal in playing guitar?

Obviously I don’t know the answer for you but I’d hope it isn’t buying more guitar gear to have more tones. I’ve been there and I acted like that was my answer but it’s a hollow pursuit. When I realized it was to play more 50-70s rock music in a band, I lost interest in new pedals, guitars and amps. I’ve got more than enough of what I need to do what I want to do. Okay, okay one in and one out is okay but it’s a marginal improvement at best. Rig rundowns for top notch pros with simple and limited setups was a revelation. Learning to work a Strat/Tele/Les Paul/SG guitar into a Fender/Marshall/Vox/Mesa amp is all it really takes. The rest is fluff or icing.

If you want to go totally crazy then six guitars and three amps cover a massive range of possible tones. Lots of real pros making music for a living don’t have more gear then that...
"What exactly is your most relevant goal in playing guitar?" Happiness. Honestly.

MickeyJi

With a generous budget like that, the amp world is your oyster! I'd get a SLO 30 or the little Ecstacy and a really good 2x12 cab with money left over for a Vox AC 15 head. Now all bases are very well covered indeed!

cygnusx1

I was just researching Bad Cat and Matchless...will add grammatico to the list. Thanks.
He is way ahead of those guys. I have played both and can say yes I have compared them. He has a 3 dimensional bloom characteristic in his stuff that seriously makes your head turn. Great guy too.

whateverdude

Gold Supporting Member
5-6k spending is going to get great bang for you buck, whatever you buy will hold its value if you buy used. If I had that kind of coin to buy to buy what I wanted it would be a Hiwatt Hylight era 504 with a matching 4x12 loaded with Fanes. Oh boy 7 come 11, daddy needs a new amp!

rawkguitarist

Vox suggestion?
Either a Dr. Z Zwreak with the 2x12 cab with a Blue & Gold. Simply amazing straight into the amp sounds. Most interactive feeling amp I think I've played.

Or a TopHat King Royale. Brian makes mostly custom to order amps these days as far as I know. He could tweak it however you want. They are incredible amps with some of the best build quality available at any price.

c1ferrari

With a generous budget like that, the amp world is your oyster! I'd get a SLO 30 or the little Ecstacy and a really good 2x12 cab with money left over for a Vox AC 15 head. Now all bases are very well covered indeed!
Didn't know what an SLO was - had to look it up. What do you like in 2x12 cabs?

c1ferrari

5-6k spending is going to get great bang for you buck, whatever you buy will hold its value if you buy used. If I had that kind of coin to buy to buy what I wanted it would be a Hiwatt Hylight era 504 with a matching 4x12 loaded with Fanes. Oh boy 7 come 11, daddy needs a new amp!
Yeah, will likely buy pre-owned...mint, if possible!

c1ferrari

Either a Dr. Z Zwreak with the 2x12 cab with a Blue & Gold. Simply amazing straight into the amp sounds. Most interactive feeling amp I think I've played.

Or a TopHat King Royale. Brian makes mostly custom to order amps these days as far as I know. He could tweak it however you want. They are incredible amps with some of the best build quality available at any price.
Man, I am SO ignorant (denotative sense) about these amps!

c1ferrari

Personally, I think Mesa, Bogner and Orange make excellent cabs. I like 2 x12s because they sound bigger than a 1x12 and aren't as bulky as a 4x12.
There's something about that progression -- for me, it was 1x10 combos --> 1x12 combos...now, 2x12 cabs. Looking for that lower midrange/upper bass information. Like you said, "...they sound bigger..."

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
Morgan MPV-23. Save yourself some coin and get Marshall, Vox and Dumble tones out of this great little amp. I won’t try to list all the amps I’ve had over the years and am generally in the Fender camp, but this amp ended it for me. It’s so easy to dial in and just sounds great with every guitar I’ve played through it. No effects loop and I only use reverb and delay, but they sound great. I could ramble on with accolades. I love this amp!

Three top-tier options, all different in their use and distinct from the ones you already have:

Vox AC-30
Bogner XTC
Dr. Z (any)

If that doesn't scratch the itch, get a Kemper or Axe-FX

c1ferrari

Morgan MPV-23. Save yourself some coin and get Marshall, Vox and Dumble tones out of this great little amp. I won’t try to list all the amps I’ve had over the years and am generally in the Fender camp, but this amp ended it for me. It’s so easy to dial in and just sounds great with every guitar I’ve played through it. No effects loop and I only use reverb and delay, but they sound great. I could ramble on with accolades. I love this amp!
I'm looking at a Morgan 2x12 with Gold/Cream speakers to try with my various combos and a newly acquired Ceriatone '59 Bassman.

Wyzard

Silver Supporting Member
I'll go on a bit of a tangent. I have a fair few amps myself, though an awful lot are duplicates; and in terms of enjoyment I probably get the most from three of them - an old Hiwatt DR103, a Boogie Coliseum IIB, and an older Two Rock (CRS V1).

They are the ones I return to when I want to just get on with playing, or when I (I guess I have to say "used to") go out to jam. They all go fairly loud, all of them sound "big", and all have their own particular sound. I use them all with the same old Boogie EV cabs; which actually allows them to really reveal their differences.

If I had to pick something different right now, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything under 6K that would give me more "fun". So I guess my answer is - maybe pick not one, but two of the amps from my list. You'll have endless fun reading up on them, and hunting them down too.

Older stuff like this, in reasonable condition, turns up everywhere. It also tends to hold a decent chunk of its value over time.

c1ferrari

I'll go on a bit of a tangent. I have a fair few amps myself, though an awful lot are duplicates; and in terms of enjoyment I probably get the most from three of them - an old Hiwatt DR103, a Boogie Coliseum IIB, and an older Two Rock (CRS V1).

They are the ones I return to when I want to just get on with playing, or when I (I guess I have to say "used to") go out to jam. They all go fairly loud, all of them sound "big", and all have their own particular sound. I use them all with the same old Boogie EV cabs; which actually allows them to really reveal their differences.

If I had to pick something different right now, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything under 6K that would give me more "fun". So I guess my answer is - maybe pick not one, but two of the amps from my list. You'll have endless fun reading up on them, and hunting them down too.

Older stuff like this, in reasonable condition, turns up everywhere. It also tends to hold a decent chunk of its value over time.
That's a great suggestion. The Morgan cab sold. There's a Mesa 2x12 vertical and 2x12 compact which are local. May see if price is negotiable and buy a couple of EVM12L Classics for fun.

Trending Topics