Next best attenuator to a Power Station for 20 to 50 watt amps?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
It seems the Power a station is the best, but it's $600 because it also has a tube power re-amper. As an attenuator, is it it's EQ adjustments for lower volumes that sets it apart from other attenuators?

Which attenuator is the next best one for 20 to 50 watt amps? Is there one that has EQ controls that work as well as the Power Station's EQ controls for lower volumes?

MasterEvan07

Gold Supporting Member
Suhr Reactive Load - $399
Badcat Unleash v2 - $549
Torpedo Reload - $899

I know that Fryette is coming out with a v2 of the PS in April and personally I'd just bite the bullet and go that way simple because of the cost:feature ratio, but I've heard great things about the others. I never even knew I liked an effects loop until I got the PS, but that works for me, and not necessairly for everyone. The Torpedo has more controls than the others, but still not as much as a PS and it's more expensive...I'd say wait for April :)

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Suhr Reactive Load - $399
Badcat Unleash v2 - $549
Torpedo Reload - $899

I know that Fryette is coming out with a v2 of the PS in April and personally I'd just bite the bullet and go that way simple because of the cost:feature ratio, but I've heard great things about the others. I never even knew I liked an effects loop until I got the PS, but that works for me, and not necessairly for everyone. The Torpedo has more controls than the others, but still not as much as a PS and it's more expensive...I'd say wait for April :)
Please tell about the V2 of the PS. More expensive?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
How much attenuation are you going for? For a lot of attenuation (50W at bedroom volume) a reamper does a better job. The only other popular one than the PS is the Unleash.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
How much attenuation are you going for? For a lot of attenuation (50W at bedroom volume) a reamper does a better job. The only other popular one than the PS is the Unleash.
Mostly with a Deluxe Reverb. Was looking at the Dr Z Air Brake because it also has it's Bedroom Level control but I read that it sounds fuzzy at that level, and it doesn't have EQ controls.

MasterEvan07

Gold Supporting Member
Please tell about the V2 of the PS. More expensive?
My understanding is there will be some additional features (still hush, hush and all that) that have been commonly requested on the v1. I guess we'll see about the price point in April.
I have the v1 and I'm sure I'll still be quite happy with it regardless of new features, but it'll be cool for whoever's been waiting for one to get in on the v2...win-win I suppose.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
My understanding is there will be some additional features (still hush, hush and all that) that have been commonly requested on the v1. I guess we'll see about the price point in April.
I have the v1 and I'm sure I'll still be quite happy with it regardless of new features, but it'll be cool for whoever's been waiting for one to get in on the v2...win-win I suppose.
What have been the commonly requested additional features? And I'll bet the price will be higher.

Dave_C

It seems the Power a station is the best, but it's $600 because it also has a tube power re-amper. As an attenuator, is it it's EQ adjustments for lower volumes that sets it apart from other attenuators?

Which attenuator is the next best one for 20 to 50 watt amps? Is there one that has EQ controls that work as well as the Power Station's EQ controls for lower volumes?
The PS is amazing at low SPL even just running it totally neutral (i.e. EQ switches flat, DEPTH/PRESENCE totally counterclockwise). I haven't owned anything that really touches it at those levels. At $599, I think it's a steal, given the features and performance. Even the new Bad Cat Unleash V2 is only $50 less at $549 and that uses a SS power amp. The RockCrusher is only $100 less at $499 but only attenuates, has no loop and no continuous control. The Suhr Reactive Load is $200 less at $399 but you still need a power amp of some kind.

So, by the time you add what you need, all the most highly rated units are in the same ballpark. I just don't think you're going to find this level of transparency and feature set at a substantially lower price point. In fact, most of the units that even come close are in the $800-$900 range. I think you're better off just saving up for something you're really gonna be happy with.

Dave_C

Mostly with a Deluxe Reverb. Was looking at the Dr Z Air Brake because it also has it's Bedroom Level control but I read that it sounds fuzzy at that level, and it doesn't have EQ controls.
I still have a full size Air Brake. The Bedroom mode sounds HORRIBLE. Plus, it's $379 with the PS at $599. What are you saving?

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The PS is amazing at low SPL even just running it totally neutral (i.e. EQ switches flat, DEPTH/PRESENCE totally counterclockwise). I haven't owned anything that really touches it at those levels. At $599, I think it's a steal, given the features and performance. Even the new Bad Cat Unleash V2 is only $50 less at $549 and that uses a SS power amp. The RockCrusher is only $100 less at $499 but only attenuates, has no loop and no continuous control. The Suhr Reactive Load is $200 less at $399 but you still need a power amp of some kind.

So, by the time you add what you need, all the most highly rated units are in the same ballpark. I just don't think you're going to find this level of transparency and feature set at a substantially lower price point. In fact, most of the units that even come close are in the $800-$900 range. I think you're better off just saving up for something you're really gonna be happy with.
Ok, I was just wondering if any attenuator sounds close to the PS for less $. Thanks!

MasterEvan07

Gold Supporting Member
What have been the commonly requested additional features? And I'll bet the price will be higher.
The common/frequently requested features is what I was told - I couldn't tell you exactly what all the requested features are...maybe reading the Fryette PS thread would be more illuminating...sorry, I know that's no answer at all, but I imagine after all this time in the field they'll be very useful and well-implemented modifications/additions, given that the PS is as versatile as it is. Additional feature sets, along with requisite parts and labor, would most likely necessitate an increase in cost...can't get around that really. Being personally a small businessman/private teacher, I get that...but it's still hard to tell customers/clients/students "yeah, prices are going up" when in a crap economy. :dunno

coldengray

What about the Scumback DBL? I need an attenuator and I'm not sure I want to wait for the next Fryette.

mlj_gear

I don't know if they still make it now that they're on the second version of the Unleash, but the Leash is pretty good. Much better than the Airbrake or Hotplate, IMO. One thing I don't like about it, though, is that the knob gets "touchy" after a while. I don't know if that the case with the Unleash, as well.

Also, you mentioned lower volumes, but if you don't need "bedroom low," a lot of the attenuators out there will be less problematic.

Stone Driver

Gold Supporting Member
The Power Station is the only device that I have used that sounded great with clean tones / 6L6 attenuation, instead of just doing a moderate job of attenuating gritty overdriven style tones.

I have owned the Weber Mass, Dr. Z Air Brake, Swart Night Light, Rivera Rockcrusher (v1) and Jet City / Soldano Jettenuattor. Small list of attenuator experience relative to others, but the Power Station was superior to what I have played personally, and scratched my "lower tube amp volume without tonal compromise" (minus speaker air movement) itch.

Last edited:

Trending Topics