Next guitar purchase dilemma(PRS vs Suhr)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frettlessmind, Feb 1, 2012.

1. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

Hey ya'll getting ready to make my next guitar purchase! Can't decide if I should stay with PRS or go with a Suhr. Looking for a super start to do both Les Paul and Strat sounds. Can some of you experts chime in and tell me why you personally like one company more than the other?
    Before some of you do that, I just want to state a few things I do not like about my 1994 PRS Custom 24 10 Top and what I would like to find in maybe a Suhr or even an older PRS(pre 1991 PRS custom 24).

First thing I would mention is the fact that I can't really roll down my volume to thin out my tone to a straty sound(think Guthrie Govan). Instead it becomes fatter with more mids and bass(I guess this a PRS thing). Split coils don't really do a great job(my old JS1000 did even a better job). I'm afraid of buying older PRS do to quickly worn out frets and died electronics down the road.

One thing I love the most about my PRS is the Wide Thin neck! That is the most perfect neck I've played. If a Suhr Modern or Standard model can perfect some of the things my PRS lacks with the same type neck I would buy it in a heart beat.

check my youtube channel to see what I play:

www.youtube.com/FretlessMind

Thanks for the help,
    Max.

[​IMG]

Hello everyone! Thank you for contributing to this thread, I really appreciated the input. I want to update everyone that I bought a lightly used Suhr Guthrie Govan Antique Modern couple of months ago. I still have my PRS but it has been in its guitar case since I got my Suhr. To sum it all up, I would say they are completely two different guitars! Which works best for me? The Suhr. Would I do it again? Yes! But, maybe Mahogany instead of Basswood. Nevertheless, I'm really happy with it and I may keep it for long. Here's a small video for you guys. Excuse my crappy playing. Thank you!

Here is the video, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGAb2O-rDJs&feature=youtu.be

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. Kelly

Kelly Member

Cant go wrong either way. Both make great guitars. Why dont you just change the pickups in your PRS?

3. AndrewC

AndrewC Supporting Member

You could just try a treble bleed capacitor. It would be a lot cheaper than a new guitar!

I think for a superstrat you would be better off looking at a Suhr than a PRS. Speaking as an owner of both, although some PRS models can sound 'quite' stratty, Suhr really nails that sound. If it's good enough for Guthrie... :)

Suhr will also copy your favorite neck for an upcharge.

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

AndrewC took the words right out of my mouth.

First, it's a treble bleed capacitor that you need in your current guitar (if you want to be able to turn the volume down and retain the same/similar tone). You need to make sure your new super strat either comes with one ... or be prepared to get one added after market.

Suhr's come with a treble bleed capacitor by default (at least they did when I bought mine). Some PRS guitars do too ... I also have a Mira that came with one. I'm not too sure that just turning down the volume is going to get you into stratty territory though.

I'd say it'd be worth investing in a Suhr if you know exactly what you want (tones, neck shape, features, wiring, etc.). They do make extraordinary guitars. That said, there'd be nothing wrong with going with PRS if you can find one that fits your bill ... maybe a studio?

If you do go Suhr, I'd highly recommend stainless steel frets ... jumbos if you bend a lot. Also, if you choose to have single coils in it, the SSC system works really well ... my guitar is HSS and is close to silent when using the single coils (V60LPs).

One more thing to remember ... most PRS guitars (including the CU24) have a slighly shorter scale length that Suhr Classics/Standards/Moderns. It's a marginal difference on paper, but in practice, I found that the PRS scale length (25") is perfect with 10s and can achieve a lower action than the Suhr scale length ... I actually switched to 9's on my Suhr as it just felt too stiff compared to the PRS.
    Good luck!

5. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

Personally I'm not into the "modding" thing unless the pickups are seriously horrible. PRS has great pickups. It is what it is. Thanks for your input!

6. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

Wow, that's really interesting thing about the capacitors! Thanks for the info! I know some Suhr guitars are really versatile guitars and thats exactly what I need. If it's good enough for Guthrie, it's more than enough for me! :D

7. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I'd keep the PRS and also get a Suhr

8. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

Thanks for your input! Great info! :)

9. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

I wish I could afford to keep the PRS.

10. xroads

xroads Member

IMHO there is no guitar that gets Strat and Les Paul tones. They have different scale lenghts and different construction/wood.

You need to decide where you compromise...the PRS have a scale length in between the LP and Strat. I find that this is neither meat nor fish, I simply don't like it, as it does not convince me on the Strat sound and neither on the LP thing. Some people like it though.

If you go superstrat route, you can add HBs and wood choices to a standard strat that get you some nice fat tones, but still have a very good Strat sound. that's the way I would go. Suhr certainly is a very fine maker of such guitars.

At first, I would add the treble bleed on your PRS and see how you like it. My PRS studio also didn't have one, and it made a large difference.

11. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Suhr Classic S is definitely better axe for around Strat and pure Strat sounds.
    I love them (have 3 now) and can't recommend them enough, way better buy than Fender Custom Shop IMO (have several Fender CS too, so can compare directly).
    PRS on the other hand is hybrid, neither Fender nor Gibson, but qualitywise better than both. Keep PRS and add Suhr, it can't be one or another, you need both (I ended up with 7 PRS). Actually used Suhrs are so great buys sometimes, that it's almost no-brainer.

12. Church2224

Church2224 Member

I took lessons last year at a Suhr and PRS dealer and they use to let me play a lot of the guitars they had in stock. Honestly you cannot go wrong with either one but companies make fine instruments. A suhr may come across as a better value because they have a lot of custom options for their guitars and cost around PRS pricing.

Honestly if you can try and play some guitars from both brands and see what you think suits you more. I think the Suhr will get you the Strat like tones you want depending on the set up if that is what you are looking for.

13. RSRD

RSRD Member

Bro that is a NICE looking guitar. I personally think the new Customs PRS is putting out are the best yet. They are just impeccable in tone and quality. And the new v12 finish is superb! Im loving my 2011 CU24 much more then I thought I would. Much more then I liked my 97 CU24 thats for sure.

That said, to me, A Suhr is just a notch up in quality, tone and feel. And his strat tone is > then any builder out there. He just makes the most outstanding instruments.

So I'd say try a few JS guitars out and see if you agree. Then try a few 2011 or 2012 customs and then decide. Both are great choices and you can't go wrong.

14. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

Hey brother! Congrats on the new CU24!

I have had several other older CU24 and they sounded much better than the new ones at guitar center(this comparison happened a while back and maybe PRS has stepped up in the last 4 years idk). I should stop by GC soon! But I see a lot more of the newer ones for sale vs older guitars.

Regarding the Suhr, it's really hard to find someone here locally with one and the nearest store is quite aways from me and with limited amount of Suhrs. I guess I'll have to look out for one on eBay with the right wood combination, electronics and neck profile.

15. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

I've owned both nice Les Pauls and Strats. Taking two guitars on stage or studio was never part of my setup. PRS has helped me get far enough without needing the LP and Strat. Time to upgrade to maybe a Suhr. Thanks! :)

16. AndrewC

The only dealer I knew of in WA was Northwest Guitars and they stopped doing Suhr about 3 years ago. If you're ever up North you're welcome to check out my Suhr Modern - best superstrat I've owned!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

WOW! What a beauty! :D
    Andrew, I come up to Seattle quite often. In fact I'll be over there next week for a home show in tacoma. Not sure if I'll have time to check out your Suhr. What amp do you run with your Suhr?

18. AndrewC

A Suhr, naturally! :D (Badger 18). Also a Two Rock SP35 and a Carr Raleigh if I'm late night noodling in the lounge.

19. frettlessmind

frettlessmind Member

Nice collection! Those are great amps! :)
    If I'll be able to take my own car to Seattle, I'll let you know(PM).
    What are your Suhr Modern specs?

20. AndrewC