Next Mesa amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtr37, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    With respect, I have read all the comments. I've also run the TC50 loop through "regular" pedals. I'm only reporting my experience as are you. That's all good :aok

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're not happy with it, move on to something else. Otherwise, you're just devaluing the amp by complaining and hurting yourself.

Cheers,
    :beer

MattC and FbIsNotE like this.
  2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I get it, but I don't agree that one shouldn't be allowed to complain about a piece of gear that costs $1800 and has an advertised feature that doesn't work as it should. I, and everyone else experiencing tone loss through the amp's "buffered" loop, have every right to complain.

I'm happy with the amp, it sounds great, but, the loop is less than stellar. Simple as that. Others have experienced the same thing I have so I know it's not just me bitching about an imaginary problem. Too many people have had the same problem for it to be just a fluke or a case of one person with overly sensitive hearing.

And if a malfunctioning FX loop devalues an amp, that's not my doing, that's the manufacturer's fault and they should do something to address it instead of trying to blame it on user error or something like that.

Again, same exact setup tried with several other amps ranging from a cheap Peavey C20MH to a Friedman. Not a single bit of tone loss with any of them. Even another Mesa, a ROV25, no tone loss with the loop. There's something about the TC's loop that doesn't play well with pedals. If some people's TCs do work well with pedals, then there's a defect in several of them that somehow made it out to market and Mesa should do something about it instead of saying "it's not our fault, it's yours."

3. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Fair enough :)

4. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

This looks pretty amazing. There is someone on the Boogie forum claiming to have insider info that there are two more amps that Mesa are going to announce in 2018 and this isn't one of them. Wonder what those will end up being? Mark VI? Roadking 3?

starbelly likes this.
  5. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Link to the thread?

6. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

starbelly likes this.
  7. starbelly

Iiiiiinteresting...

A person who claimed to have insider info in one of the other forums here said (indirectly) that it *wasn't* going to be a 100 watt Triple Crown. Perhaps he either had no insider info, or was instead referring to one of these (allegedly) unannounced amps.

8. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

9. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

What I said was it was going to be different than anything Mesa has done before. They are always doing updates and newer versions of existing amps. This is separate of the amps I talked with Randell about. Look at how many versions of the Mark and Rectifiers have been made over the decades.

starbelly likes this.
  10. somedude

somedude Member

Mesa's always warned about this in manuals. Traditionally, they design the amps to work with industry standard rack effects and in the past warned people against pedals. These days they've softened their stance because there's some pedals that perform like a high end rack processor, but still warn that low quality pedals will compromise tone and to use as short of cable as possible.

As a long time Mesa user I'll state that every Mesa I've ever owned has had a loop that sucks tone. It's the nature of the beast when adding additional circuitry to the audio path. With non-switching loops you can't necessarily hear the suck because you can't easily A/B it, but since Mesa offers a switching loop that you can stand there and A/B repeatedly you can easily hear the differences. If you left the loop on 100% of the time and bypassed your effects using the pedal instead of the amp's switch you wouldn't notice the shift in tone.

A good example of this might be the Mini-Rectifier. It's loop definitely sucks tone, but very few people complain about it since there's no option to easily A/B the sounds.

The thing is, Mesa gets punished in a way for offering us an option that allows us to bypass all the extra circuitry in an effort to give us the best sound possible. If they just left all that extra sh*t in the signal path 100% of the time none of us would be able to A/B the loop and there'd be a lot less complaining about it on the internet.

It's not malfunctioning if it's performing to design spec.

11. starbelly

Ah. For clarification, I believe you said that what Mesa would be announcing was going to be different than what everyone in the thread had predicted up until that point (pretty sure there was mention of a 100 watt Triple Crown). So here you were referring to another amp entirely? Also, were you aware of the 100 watt Triple Crown?

stephen sawall likes this.
  12. somedude

somedude Member

And yet, the Mark V (IMO) still sounds way better with it's loop hard bypassed. More open/raw.

Lef T likes this.
  13. Lef T

Lef T Member

Yeah,well I'm hoping for the new Mark l G to hit the shelves.
    G for Geriatric.
    Throw us old guys a bone already Randall.

Miracle Man and stephen sawall like this.
  14. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I just want a small two channel amp that doesn't have the Clean and Crunch mode on the same channel!

15. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I was aware there was going to be a three channel amp with clean, crunch, lead before any of the of the TC amps came out. The version of the three channel amp we talked about had 4 power tubes. I was kind of surprised a 2 tube version came out first. How many versions they are going to do is anyone's guess. We talked about the pedals he was working on that are now out.

We also talked about two other amps that are nothing they have done before. I absolutely want one of them as soon as it comes out. The conversation was a few hours long so we talked about a lot of different things. This conversation was a year ago in June I believe. Over a year ago.

Randall asked me more questions than I asked him. He has a true passion for his work. He is into all the classic amps as much as anyone you ever met. We talked a little about modern builders... Very little. We talked a lot about amps Mesa has built over the decades. The story about working with Santana on the Snake King, JP-2C all the way back to the beginning when he was building in the shack. He had never heard of TGP... and asked I don't talk about the up coming gear in public. He is a very personable individual. I've had numerous conversation with him since I got my first Boogie in 1982. He's always been very positive.

He also made it very clear anything could change at any time. So if and when any of this stuff is going to happen is anyone's guess.

16. les_paul

les_paul Member

Fair point indeed.

17. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Member

My wish would be a Lonestar mini... im going to start saving just in case

73171 and Lef T like this.
  18. iggs

iggs Member

Yes ... bypassing the loop/output gain stage with the additional tube will have less compression and saturation at high channel master and output volume settings.
    Having said that, I compared it with loop hard bypassed and TBH couldn't really hear that much of a difference ... with my setup, guitar, settings, ears ... etc.

19. starbelly