Next question.. strat trems.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SamBooka, Feb 25, 2015.

1. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

I dont like mine floating so I deck it

POLL: Do you block strat strat trems by tightening the springs or do you prefer to put in a wood block.

If you use a wood block.. why? Break angle?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The wooden block has a detrimental effect on the tone compared to five springs.

3. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Tighten springs.

4. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Why?

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

If decking, set flush with 5 springs. No block, does not allow the trem unit to resonate as it should. Some can hear a block some cannot.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i won't comment on ephemeral tone issues, but mechanically the wood block is pointless.

deck the thing flat (carefully considering the pivot post or screw heights so that the plate is in full contact with the wood all the way around), tighten the claw to where it won't lift up on bends (adding springs as necessary), and you have a non-trem guitar.

yet another reason why that vintage trem design was genius in action, especially considering (as i understand it) it was a panicked last-minute "plan B" after the first design attempt failed, sustaining "like a banjo" apparently.

7. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I just put five springs on. I don't even bother screwing the back plate all the way down. Works just fine.