next step from a Tube Screamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrbanjo, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

You are a TS9 player - and happy with TS9. But what is an OD pedal you've gotten that you like better? Looking for classic rock/country rock type sounds...

2. CheeseBlocks

CheeseBlocks Member

Check out the Fulltone Plimsoul. Picked one up recently, and it's incredible. Very unique in that a lot of OD's have the option of switching between hard and soft clipping options... but the Plimsoul has the option of blending hard clipping in with the soft clipped signal. Incredibly versatile... can go from a very transparent low gain drive (think Timmy) to really gritty saturation.

3. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

my heart will always lie with a timmy.

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Honestly, I like TS9's the most.

5. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Visual Sound Open Road for me... big fat sounding OD, and throwing a TS circuit in front of it makes for some awesome lead sounds!

6. edi_87

edi_87 Member

On my board Lovepedal Eternity Kanji does the 'TS thing'. It's a great great pedal that I've had for 3 years now and it's never disappointed me.

7. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I used TS-9s & TS-10s for years but actually strongly prefer a Boss OD-3.
    Best drive pedal they've ever put out by a mile IMHO. Doesn't cut low or boost mids.
    Very even response for both lead & chord work.

A rat actually does low gain very well as does a Marshall Shredmaster.
    I also love my MI Audio Blues Pro.

8. vanguard

vanguard Member

if you're happy w/ the TS-9, don't go on a fool's errand.

9. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I actually prefer the FullDrive2 over a TS-9.

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

your not going to find anything "Better" then a ts9.

Everytime I see someone who likes a pedal more then a tubescreamer they are really just looking for something that isn't a tubescreamer.

TS9s work because they only boost highs and mids and don't boost lows. People think this means it cuts lows, but it doesn't. Ts9s work so well because they actually act just like a tube amp cranked up. When you turn the volume up on your amp, you have to turn your bass down, or it gets flubby dark and murky.

So, what's happening is your Ts9 is your exact sound, but as if you just turned your amp's volume up 3-5 notches. Hence, boost/solo pedal!

NOW...with that said.. if you're looking for a STAND ALONE overdrive. a pedal that doesn't interact with your current sound, or boosts..etc. There are literally HUNDREDS of killer boutique overdrive pedals to choose from... but nothing that will replace what the TS9 does for you.

I currently use an Elmo overdrive for my rhythm sound, and use an '82 TS9 to boost for soloing. works wonders.

My Elmo Clips:
    Strat into fender

Les Paul into Marshall

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  11. vanguard

vanguard Member

these are wise, albeit anti-TGP, words:aok

12. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

A stock TS-9 is 100% satisfactory for me. It's the exact sound I'm looking for.

13. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Me too. Very vesatile pedal. Great for live lead work.

14. rumblebox

rumblebox Member

The bad monkey is the only OD pedal i even use anymore.

15. andrewruel

andrewruel Member

For me, a SRB808+. The 808 mode is awesome - not quite as middy as a TS with more clarity - and the "Dumble" mode (middle position on the toggle) is also really nice. The "Marshall" setting (top position on the toggle) is not so great, but the other two more than make up for it.

I've played TS9's, TS808's, and TS clones, and this is my favorite. I'm done looking for tubescreamers.

The TS9 is slightly different from a TS808, so if you are very specifically stuck on the TS9 sound, you won't find anything better than a TS9. But if not, I don't think there's anything better than the SRB808 in terms of its 808 voice AND the flexibility it provides with the toggle.

I'm shocked that it doesn't get more love on these forums. It did back from maybe 2008 to 2010, but I never hear about it any more.

16. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

Thanks for the input!!! All very informative.

17. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

you are probably quite correct...

18. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I've been around the block on OD's and keep coming back to my Reverend DT2, which is essentially a TS but a little less middy. It just makes the guitar a bit louder and fatter, which is perfect for me....although I wouldn't mind trying the Xotic EP boost since this seems to do a similar job with a much smaller footprint..

19. southpaw66

southpaw66 Member

I didn't understand the TS thing until i recently got my Two Rock Studio and was wondering how i could turn the single channel creamy rich BF-type clean (scooped) into a nice dirt od. Needed to boost the mids without adding bass.... Doh! That's exactly what a TS9 does; which i put in the cupboard about a year ago having not had much success. Works great in front of other Pedals like big muff pi or barber small fry.

20. juanbono6030

juanbono6030 Member

Very well said. This is why after the countless times I have changed pedals, my original 81 TS-9 has never left my board. It just does it. Several other cool pedals out there but I will never let mine go.